Difference between false marketing and fraud.

criticalchris

There are alot of debates on the forums, where some people claim they "thought" they had 5 days early access when they bought the product, and some that attack the posters by saying, read the text properly.

Now, EA and Bioware have not comited fraud, they did not state that you would get 5 days pre access, this is true. Thus you can not attack the company for fraud of some kind.

I do however, think that false marketing is something that is not far from the truth. When a company states that you can buy a product for X amount of money, and front that you can get additional perks with the purchase with large fonts, and deeper into the contract, where the consumer must take action and look beyond the offer to find something that actually contradicts the main marketed offer this is borderline false marketing.

An example, you go to a automobile shop. You pick a car online, the new model ect and you pay 50.000 euro for the "new model" that you picked out with the salesman. Car isnt out yet, you picked the car from a picture on the web or in a pamplet. When the car comes, you payed the money and you get a toy car. If the costumer read all the text, behind the offer and deal there was a small text emplying that you "might" get a toy car. This company would suffer consequenses for false marketing, even if the text underlining said "might get a toy car". Or to compare to this, you get the car 2 years later, "up to 2 years" in fine print before delivery, but the main marketing board says, buy this model and you will get it today!

All of us here, on the forum and fans of SWTOR that have been hanging around here since the forum was up, we know pretty much everything about the product. Me, i didnt look up the fine print when i pre ordered the product, i just saw early access, 5 days and bought it.

Im not bitter, i realize now the wave system and what not, but i understand if people get upset and i think they have good reason to, if they didnt know about the underlines.

If i had a mail, in say june that said, if you buy this game now, you will be first to enter pre access, before everyone else, explaining the system of waves ect then all of us, or most atleast would have preordered it then. As a layman, new to mmos and such can even read on the main website that the "pre access is open now..." ect. But when you click the actual link to "investigate" you get to know more about the depth of the pre access system ect.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I never, EVER, saw any banner that said flat out "You can get 5 days of early access".

The terms "five days" and "early access", were ALWAYS proceeding the words "up to".

ALWAYS.

In the same large font. Right in front of your face.

I flat out knew that derping hard like I did and waiting until december to put in my code I would only get a day or two of early access.

Because I know how to read.

Edited by Lord_of_Stone

You got it right OP, this must be the thread on the forum that has the most truth of them all :)

Edit: remember a lot of fanbois and people who are already in the game is going to come in here and act like idi.... but just don't listen to them...

Edited by Merup

This is a screenshot of the exact information and advertisement that was required to be clicked in order to even make it to the pre-order options. One couldn't, to the best of my knowledge, even begin the pre-order process without first coming to the screen captured in this picture.

http://www.askajedi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Screen-shot-2011-07-21-at-3.10.47-AM.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I understand that this is a very frustrating issue for some people. I'm just sharing my perspective that it seemed really obvious when I pre-ordered through their official website.

Edited by Shlamorel

I never, EVER, saw any banner that said flat out "You can get 5 days of early access".

The term "five days" and "early access", were ALWAYS proceeding the words "up to".

ALWAYS.

In the same large font. Right in front of your face.

I flat out knew that derping hard like I did and waiting until december to put in my code I would only get a day or two of early access.

Because I know how to read.

In other words, Bioware didn't promise anyone anything...

Learn to read people.

Um... most people will get 5 days early access.

The 2 bonus days startet with July and are now all the way to October, 1 - those people got 6 / 7 days which was MORE then expected.

Read the stickys... Today they plan to go with October guys and a lot of November.

Thats 5 days early access for them. Thats again more then expected.

Anybody who preordered in October or later surely never really believed he or she would get 5 days early access. Now they will.

So stop whinning please.

You got it right OP, this must be the thread on the forum that has the most truth of them all :)

except for the fact that the analogy is ridiculous and doesnt work. we are not talking cars here and we are not talking about extravagant amounts of money. 5 bucks gets you a crystal and 1 day guaranteed EGA, the other days are free. now if this analogy of yours said you may get a free upgrade or free gas then yes, your analogy is a lot closer

This is a screenshot of the exact information and advertisement that was required to be clicked in order to even make it to the pre-order options. One couldn't, to the best of my knowledge, even begin the pre-order process without first coming to the screen captured in this picture.

http://www.askajedi.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Screen-shot-2011-07-21-at-3.10.47-AM.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I understand that this is a very frustrating issue for some people. I'm just sharing my perspective that it seemed really obvious when I pre-ordered through their official website.

That link seems to be Biowares own, i can show you hundreds, maybe even thousands of sites that do not share that info, this is in Swedish mind you, but its from EA own store where i got mine, says nothing.

http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/sv_SE/html/pbPage.SWTOR_SV/?sourceid=svswtornppc159841321

Thats not what I said at all. People were easily promised early access. But they were not promised the full 5 days.

I have no idea why people chose to not see the words "up to".

Youre right, but i suspect you know the forum mentality, i took a very extreme example to avoid deeper discussion about the "example". If i took a mobile phone there would be loads of people arguing about if its right or not. Shades of gray, if you will. If the "car" example happened to anyone, few people would argue "for" the car dealership. Posted a link earlier from Origin, where i got the game. Says nothing about the "wave system" ect. Just early access, 5 days, check.

Edited by criticalchris

I know it has already been pointed out here, but seriously, as someone who has worked in retail for 12 years and is currently in business school I have to point out a few things.

1. If it is in the fine print, then it is not false advertising. (Amazon can give your credit card info out to other companies without asking you.. happened to me.. sucks huh.. I had no recourse, other then not shopping with amazon anymore*, cause it was in the fine print)

2. Bioware hide NOTHING about this in fine print. They said UP TO 5 days early access. If they let us all in at 6 pm on the 19th, they have done exactly what they advertised.

3. Five days is the 15th. Everyone who is already in play? They have gotten BETTER then what was promised. The rest of us will most likely be in on the 15th.

*this was about 10 years ago, so they may have changed the policy.. but I still refuse to shop with them.

Now, EA and Bioware have not comited fraud, they did not state that you would get 5 days pre access, this is true. Thus you can not attack the company for fraud of some kind.

I do however, think that false marketing is something that is not far from the truth. When a company states that you can buy a product for X amount of money, and front that you can get additional perks with the purchase with large fonts, and deeper into the contract, where the consumer must take action and look beyond the offer to find something that actually contradicts the main marketed offer this is borderline false marketing.

That link seems to be Biowares own, i can show you hundreds, maybe even thousands of sites that do not share that info, this is in Swedish mind you, but its from EA own store where i got mine, says nothing.

http://store.origin.com/store/eaemea/sv_SE/html/pbPage.SWTOR_SV/?sourceid=svswtornppc159841321

But where in your link is your view supported? The one I provided has details - yours is just a pre-order. Can you find a legitimate screenshot that says a simple "get 5 days early access"? I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying until I see it, I believe the information was there in front of most everyone... they just didn't see it.

So yes, your link says nothing - correct, it does not say anything that should lead one to conclude that everyone gets 5 days early access.

Edited by Shlamorel

Youre right, but i suspect you know the forum mentality, i took a very extreme example to avoid deeper discussion about the "example". If i took a mobile phone there would be loads of people arguing about if its right or not. Shades of gray, if you will. If the "car" example happened to anyone, few people would argue "for" the car dealership. Posted a link earlier from Origin, where i got the game. Says nothing about the "wave system" ect. Just early access, 5 days, check.

No. It just says early access. It says nothing about 5 days.

Every single time a banner has the words "five days", there was ALWAYS the words "up to".

You're also extremely confusing. Regardless, no one was purposely mislead. "Get up to five days early access". Not "Pre order now and get five days early access". Never. Always "up to". If you chose to ignore specific parts of a sentence, forfeiting middle school english education, thats your fault.

It sort of reminds me of the Black Friday sales you see. An ad will say that there is $100 off some awesome flat screen, then you go to the store bright and early on the busiest shopping day of the year only to be told that they are sold out because in the fine print it said ..... "Quantity: 2 in stock per store,subject to availabilty."

The stores know thats crap, thats why its in the fine print and they know you likely won't read it but they still want you in their store. Anything to make a buck though.

Edited by Harowin

I hate to admitted, but if you pre-order late it's your fault. I could have order in September, but I didn't until October 22. Likewise, on the advertising, it was always stated that early access was first come first server. Thus, I don't see the problem. Edited by Knockerz

Thats not what I said at all. People were easily promised early access. But they were not promised the full 5 days.

I have no idea why people chose to not see the words "up to".

Because a lot of people just see what they want to see.

I hate to admitted, but if you pre-order late it's your fault. I could have order in September, but I didn't order until October 22 and entered by pre-order code on the 29 or October. Also on the advertising it was always stated that early access was first come first server. Thus, I don't see the problem.

Couldn't agree more.

I, too, ordered way later than I should/could have. I would love to be playing right now, but it's definitely nothing BW is doing wrong. In fact, I think there system is gonna be great for the longterm.

Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to get in the game :) but I'm not mad about it.