Someone condense the anti - LFD tool side argument for me

SomeDudeIsanub

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a bit too condensed. How does it ruin community?

It doesn't ;)

The thought seems to be that people will act like fools, especially if it is a cross-server LFD. Lack of accountability and all that.

I'm biased though since I think adding a LFD is a no-brainer.

InB4 a mod locks this thread and directs you to the original thread.

LFD tools are bad for the game. If you can't take the time to add people to your friends list after fun successful runs (when TOR even pops the add friend window right up on your UI), then you shouldn't be running flashpoints.

InB4 a mod locks this thread and directs you to the original thread.

LFD tools are bad for the game. If you can't take the time to add people to your friends list after fun successful runs (when TOR even pops the add friend window right up on your UI), then you shouldn't be running flashpoints.

This is a good example of the 'con' group. They don't like the feature so no one should have it. The 'play my way or the highway' method.

It removes the whole social and game part of actually making a group.

It destroys involvement in the game (convenience button, push it and magically everything else is taken care of for you !), it destroys the social part (no need to interact, you just let the tool does the work), it destroys the actual point of a MMO.

Just look at WoW to see how it basically ruined the community.

anti LFD arguments are based around nostalgia, hating anything wow did, and the fallacious argument that spamming general creates a better community.

^ this.

EQ1 had plenty of jerks, and honestly, I like the ease of getting into a group and NOT waiting for 30 minutes to an hour to do a dungeon. Sometimes I just skip them because nobody wants to do them.

And honestly? The community is SWTOR, at least on my server, is probably worse then WoW.

It depends of how the tool is implemented. If it's automatically putting you in a group with random people and no way to control it (like in wow) then it allows people to be jerks and/or be carried by the others. If there's some kind of inter-server lobby where you can first talk to the players and then form groups then I doubt many people would be against it.

This is a good example of the 'con' group. They don't like the feature so no one should have it. The 'play my way or the highway' method.

The LFD tool affects everyone, not just those who use it. There are very few changes in a game that are zero-sum. This is one of them. If they implement LFD one side wins and the other side loses. There is NO grey area. The "if you don't like it don't use it" argument is foolish.

Just look at WoW to see how it basically ruined the community.

And this is another of the false arguments that the 'con' side make. LFD did not ruin the WOW community. Honestly, there is more of a community in WOW than there is in this game. On my server no one talks, there are no events, sometimes you can forget its an MMO.

Until there is an actual TOR community LFD cannot 'ruin' it.

The LFD tool affects everyone, not just those who use it. There are very few changes in a game that are zero-sum. This is one of them. If they implement LFD one side wins and the other side loses. There is NO grey area. The "if you don't like it don't use it" argument is foolish.

True

But the LFD tool is actually pretty good, the problem you're having is the LFD cross-server tool, which does kill community in a sense.

Spamming in general chat, though, THAT'S unacceptable imo.

If you implement a LFD does it prevent you from going that 'Friends List' and rustling up a group? It would not and so shouldn't really impact you. It would be for the rest of us that 'shouldn't be running flashpoints' after all.

Still struggling to see how you can fail to find just 3 other likeminded ppl to do things with, what are you all? Social lepers?

It's hard to find likeminded ppl that are on when you're on.

+ healers / tanks are never on at the same time, or they're busy, etc. etc.

That's a bit too condensed. How does it ruin community?

if its cross server

which is what will be asked for once they add it

its killes the community as no one needs to talk to each other on the server to get groups, you no longer add people to your friends list and arse holes will crawl out of the wood work to ninja loot and be complet dosh bags to one and other.

example of this

World of Warcraft, the number 1 mmo on the market, that has a community that looks more like a secepit of online life.

i dont have a problem if they add a group finding toole that stays server only, as soon as they make it cross server is when this game might as well die.

If you implement a LFD does it prevent you from going that 'Friends List' and rustling up a group? It would not and so shouldn't really impact you. It would be for the rest of us that 'shouldn't be running flashpoints' after all.

Yes it does because they'll be using the quick and dirty LFD tool. Slowly those people on the friends list disappear and then I realize I havent added a single person to that list in months cause I've been running with complete zombies in LFD.

if its cross server

which is what will be asked for once they add it

its killes the community as no one needs to talk to each other on the server to get groups, you no longer add people to your friends list and arse holes will crawl out of the wood work to ninja loot and be complet dosh bags to one and other.

example of this

World of Warcraft, the number 1 mmo on the market, that has a community that looks more like a secepit of online life.

i dont have a problem if they add a group finding toole that stays server only, as soon as they make it cross server is when this game might as well die.

It's funny that you should mention ninja looting in LFD, because WoW is gonna fix it quite well I think.

WoW is placing a spec-roll system in place, I don't know if it'll work for totally different specs(enchancement shaman, elemental shaman for instance), but it will work in terms of dps, tank, healer. A tank cannot roll on a healer trinker because he's tank spec, even though he's a pally. The healer gets first priority, the tank can still roll need for offspec though.

You'll still get people needing on gear (mage vs mage on a robe, othe guy has epic you don't), but honestly you deal with that in TOR right now. It's even WORSE because there are no loot restrictions. A smuggler can take jedi armor/weapons easily, but if it's an accident it cannot be fixed.

Yes it does because they'll be using the quick and dirty LFD tool. Slowly those people on the friends list disappear and then I realize I havent added a single person to that list in months cause I've been running with complete zombies in LFD.

agree

I guess they weren't 'friends' then.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.