Item loots: Roll and Greed

onistrikerz

I think a more fundamental definition of how the roll system works would be helpful.

Basically, which person the item goes to is dependent foremost on the type of roll that is being done, followed by the roll itself.

A person rolling Need has the priority over all players rolling Greed. What this means is this if there are multiple players rolling Need then the person who rolls higher will win the item, regardless of how many others rolled Greed.

Only if no one rolls Need then the item will go to the person who rolled the highest amongst his Greed-rolling peers.

The morality of when you should click Need and when you should click Greed has already been covered to some extent by the other players. Adding to that, I would suggest that if you would like an item but it isn't exactly an upgrade for yourself (maybe it's for a companion), wait to see if other people are rolling Need. If not, then politely ask if you might have it as a side upgrade, or for your companion. If they agree (usually I find they will), then by all means roll Need.

I think a more fundamental definition of how the roll system works would be helpful.

Basically, which person the item goes to is dependent foremost on the type of roll that is being done, followed by the roll itself.

A person rolling Need has the priority over all players rolling Greed. What this means is this if there are multiple players rolling Need then the person who rolls higher will win the item, regardless of how many others rolled Greed.

Only if no one rolls Need then the item will go to the person who rolled the highest amongst his Greed-rolling peers.

The morality of when you should click Need and when you should click Greed has already been covered to some extent by the other players. Adding to that, I would suggest that if you would like an item but it isn't exactly an upgrade for yourself (maybe it's for a companion), wait to see if other people are rolling Need. If not, then politely ask if you might have it as a side upgrade, or for your companion. If they agree (usually I find they will), then by all means roll Need.

MMO players have a strong culture of wanting people to generally act fair to each other in group content, regardless of how it might seem from the outside. So yes - definitely. Need only if you're actually going to wear the gear - otherwise, let everybody else get their fair random shake.

Companion gear is a bit of a new issue for MMOs, but it's generally settling down into companions being tossed in with the rest of the luck of the draw folks in greed territory.

Other issues, like custom/modifiable gear not for your class - something you could build up to be useful though, that looks good? Oo, hot issue. Greed, or ask around the group if anybody minds! You can always come back.

Generally here is how I go about rolls in SWTOR.

Do I need it for myself? Is it an actual upgrade? NEED

Do I need it for my companion - is noone else rolling a legitimate NEED roll? Ask group if I can need for companion.

Is it a moddable with a nice look? Same as above.

Else

Greed.

i an a sniper that chose need on a sniper riffle drop and rest of the group where all sith that chose greed and i still lost the roll,this system really needs looking in to :ph_thank_you::sy_empire:

I've played quite a bit and NEVER had an issue with need/greed not working properly. I would bet you accidentally hit greed and lost the roll, or someone else accidentally hit need. Nothing i've seen in my experiences or verified experiences of others reflects any bug. No offense, but i think it was you on this one (or your group), not the system.

Generally, people take it seriously about this whenever I do a group quest. Basically, NEED, only for your class/upgradable for your crew skills. GREED, give the opportunity for other people to win the rolls to them. So I'm guessing people take it seriously because all items for quests especially for Flashpoints are "Bind for pick up" or Bound which technically speaking that you can't sell/trade to other players even if you wanted to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.