What are the downsides of not having a romance with a crew member?

Apax

Are there any downsides to a character not getting romantically involved with a crew member? Beyond simply missing a few kissing cutscenes, I mean. I'm talking about missing out on real tangible in-game benefits (gifts, entire questlines, etc). Try to be general, or if you are going to be specific please put it in a spoiler tag.

I just don't want to feel like I have to get involved with a companion character or risk missing out on a huge part of the story. Philosophically, I don't agree with my companion's opinions, and I'm not fond of the idea of having to pretend I feel otherwise "just to get the girl". But, since development time was invested in this area of the game, it's difficult to imagine that it can be safely ignored without consequence.

Edited by Apax

Most notably, the life insurance policy they take out on you then 'get stuck on terrain' in combat.

I've not a romance with my crew/companions and seem to have suffered no ill effects. One of my buddies, in vent, asked the same thing you did so he decided to try it and find out. He ended up getting hitched... for that he got some companion gifts in the mail. I don't know that it's done much more for him than that. Besides having someone nag him about leaving his socks around the spaceship...

Take those marriage companion gifts... and give them to a different companion! >:-]

But yeah supposedly a side effect to it is that you don't really talk with your companion after marriage. Hopefully BW will add some new content for married folks.

Edited by Stenrik

AFAIK only affection matters for some bonuses on crew missions and crafting. I've never heard of any bonuses for being romatically involved.

I'm not really talking affection rating, since you can end up with the same affection rating from your astromech than you can from a potential love interest. I was more speaking about the choices we make in our companion conversations, and the ones that ultimately lead to a romance and marriage, and whether not going down that path has any impact on the game other than romantic parts being omitted from the companion story.

I don't want to feel like I have to hook up with someone, or risk missing some huge questline or super item that I'll be regretting later.

Edited by Apax

But yeah supposedly a side effect to it is that you don't really talk with your companion after marriage.

So it's kind of like actual marriage?

Anywho. I don't think that there's a specific downside of not being married with a crew member, though I do know that companions with a higher Affection level deliver better performance levels with their Crew Skills. I don't know if marriage influences this or not; I think it's just a side-story, really.