The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why were companions taken out of PVP?

StrifedRevan

I find myself not ever using them anymore or having them summoned, I think it was a bad idea to remove them from PVP, they really add a ton more of variety in terms of PVP which seems to be almost completely dead in this game.

Plus most of our companions are geared from the stupid RNG bag system giving us duplicates, right? They should also have a companion arena, where you can pit your companion against someone else's for credits

Some classes were stupid strong with them and the point of PvP is Player vs Player, not Player vs Player + AI

What he said.

Plus on Ilum you already have issues with FPS when even medium size groups duke it out. Imagine what it would be like if all those same players had their companions too?

Also the engine is pretty weak. It can handle 8v8 Ok, but 16v16 because of companions will likely bring it to its knees. Plus companion AI is rather dumb, it does more harm than good half the time.

Personally I think companions were a mistake to begin with. Some classes get very useful companions very early. Like Bounty Hunters. They can be Tank/DPS/Heals, and they get a healer/DPS companion very early. Allowing them to do everything. By comparison, an Assassin can only be tank/DPS, then need heals, but they only get their healer companion around level 40. Some companions are OK, like Mako, but some are stronger like Quinn. Mako's CC is channeled, Quinn's is not, making him VASTLY superior in solo PvE.

You also get what, 6-8 companions? But most classes are FORCED to use one. If you use anything else, you are gimping yourself. So what's the point in having 5+ others?

Bottom line - companions were an awful, awful idea. It may work in a single player RPG, but it does not work in an MMO.

Edited by Sabbathius

You can use companions for PVP in open-world encounters on PVP servers. They do change the dynamics of the fight.

I'm curious -- are there Imperial companions that I should be watching out for to kill first? Usually I focus on killing the character and let my companion dps the other companion, but I suppose knocking out healing companions quickly might be important.

You can use companions for PVP in open-world encounters on PVP servers. They do change the dynamics of the fight.

I'm curious -- are there Imperial companions that I should be watching out for to kill first? Usually I focus on killing the character and let my companion dps the other companion, but I suppose knocking out healing companions quickly might be important.

Some of the most fun I had while leveling was open world pvp and having to decide if I should be killing the player or their companion.

Now I just duel other people's companions when we are waiting on people to get to a flashpoint.