Bioware Dev Cory Butler Plays a Sith Sorc

Blue

Why do I suspect he's not the only dev who does, just the only one who admitted it?

lol, you say it almost as if playing a Sorc is some kind of crime...

I already see it: a courtroom, a lot of people in the background, chatter and whispers in the room, the a prosecutor stands up and says:

- "Your honor, I have a written testimony that this man plays a Sorc!"

Suddenly all the chatter and whispering dies off and only a sound of lawyer wiping off a cold sweat off his forehead with a handkerchief can be heard.

Edited by Gaidax

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know many games in which devs are given automatic 50s in the live servers. It's considered bad form and unfair to the customers.

he plays on the dev servers as well,and in there I'm quite sure he can have all the 50s he want.

I definitely get that, but the result is that now he's (probably) out of touch with what players are going through.

Just because he has a 50 on the staging environment doesn't mean that he knows what is happening if he isn't raiding with other players on live. Players who aren't part of the testing proccess, and don't neccesarily know that he's a developer. They would complain much more openly if they didn't know about that and he'd get better feedback.

I think the devs (even if it was unconciously or because they mistakenly thought everyone would want to play republic) Scewed this game in favor of the empire in almost every way. But this post is pretty stupid, he said hes play a level 45 sorc RIGHT NOW which i take to mean he plays different classes, although they are all probably empire lol.

I definitely get that, but the result is that now he's (probably) out of touch with what players are going through.

Just because he has a 50 on the staging environment doesn't mean that he knows what is happening if he isn't raiding with other players on live. Players who aren't part of the testing proccess, and don't neccesarily know that he's a developer. They would complain much more openly if they didn't know about that and he'd get better feedback.

Qft

Being out of touch is basicallly everyones biggest complant with bioware.

I mean ... Besides the terrible engine.

I think the devs (even if it was unconciously or because they mistakenly thought everyone would want to play republic) Scewed this game in favor of the empire in almost every way.

Yup.

Idiots seem to think that such a thing would require a conspiracy. Idiots seem to think such a thing would require conscious intent.

IT DOESN'T.

All it requires is that the devs have an unconscious mind. So unless they are droids they have everything they need to screw up royally. Which they did.

Edited by Tirithius

lol, you say it almost as if playing a Sorc is some kind of crime...

I already see it: a courtroom, a lot of people in the background, chatter and whispers in the room, the a prosecutor stands up and says:

- "Your honor, I have a written testimony that this man plays a Sorc!"

Suddenly all the chatter and whispering dies off and only a sound of lawyer wiping off a cold sweat off his forehead with a handkerchief can be heard.

Then Phoenix Wright stands up and shouts:

OBJECTION!!!

Then is abruptly silenced hit by a Tracer Missile!...tracer missile...tracer missile...tracer missile...tracer missile.

Yup.

Idiots seem to think that such a thing requires a conspiracy. Idiots seem to think such a thing requires intent.

IT DOESN'T.

All it requires is that the devs have an unconscious mind. So unless they are robots they have everything they need to screw up royally. Which they did.

True, they are human and make mistakes. However, being human also gives large groups of people a wide-range of interests. I would venture that there are plenty of developers that prefer to be a republic player over an imperial player just like there are players that prefer one over the other. With this in mind, the whole argument that the developers "intentionally" skewed faction balance is ludacris.

As an Imperial I have ackowledged in several threads that a disparity definitely exists and needs to be fixed if for nothing other than the good of the game and my own enjoyment at having competition other than other Imperials in huttball. But this whole, "ALL DEVELOPERS ARE IMPERIALS ARGUEMENT" which is very different from what you suggested is simply silly posturing and rage posting.

Wouldn't he be even more out of touch if he just got granted an automatic level 50 and didn't have to level up with everyone else?

There isn't only endgame in the game.

foil hats for sale 9.99

Keep Bioware out of your head, and protect your advanced theories.

Testimonial

I believed EQ was biased at release and mt mage was gimped. I bought a foil hat and all my problems went away.

Hey guys... what if this "Cory Butler" (if that is his real name) is just a decoy? What if they have unconsciously been giving him body language signals to roll empire, and what if he had friends, that he convinced to play empire. Meanwhile, the devs unconciously added a couple tweaks to convince the populace that this is all empire favor? And when the intellectual prodigies of our generation (like us) discover this foul plot, and cry for nerfs, they will swing the nerf bat too hard, creating an all-powerful republic, and giving themselves complete deniability... IT'S BRILLIANT. They use our own rage against us. I live in edmonton, so tonight I'll break into their offices and see if I can find anything else out. Don't be fooled. Keep your eyes open. If i don't come back then I am dead. Edited by Ahhmyface

Funny how some people think these designers are the model of logical impartiality. When the devs play a certain class, they do tend to favor it more. See Kalgan and Mages in WoW. They're just game developers.

You meant Kalgan and Rogues, Mages, and Priests (full disclosure: I played a Rogue in a successful RPM).

But it's amusing Cory Butler admitted this, as he's basically a) doomed Sorcs to being hugely nerfed soon or b) highlighting the perception of bias in BW development.

It's really a no-win situation for the dev team.

Hey guys,

So really I dont think this is a bad thing. If anything its a good sign that BIOWARE is playing their game! There are definitely things being addressed quickly.

One thing that brought some concern for me though with this post was that Cory only has 1 level 45 character. This is a Sorc on Empire. While this is the largest demographic of players, it does tend to make me wonder if this may have related to the UNINTENDED faction imbalance?

I personally believe the factions and classes could use some tweaking, and that we will see some improvement. I would like to ask bioware though to continue to play the additional classes and see the disparity between classes same side and even the disparity between the same MIRROR classes.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2012/01/26/interview-biowares-cory-butler-and-the-future-of-star-wars-the-old-republic/

so what your saying you *****y poor pvping internet ****** have your ghostcraller?