NEW Stephen Reid Interview

Bertolli

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol. 40 days played vs 40 days /played are 2 different things. I said it only takes 3-6 days /played to hit level cap and not skip any cutscenes.

Most people agree the 1-50 story is amazing. For longetivity, you need to support your players that are interested in endgame content. Sadly, Reid really made it apparent in this show that BW doesn't have that focus at all.

I will never understand this line of thinking.

I remember Molten Core and Blackwing's Lair being the challenge for quite a long time.

With Cataclysm, it was a new set of bosses every 3 months and all gear prior became nearly obsolete. Personally I did not care for this method of gameplay. Hurry up and race to the top and then farm it till ur bored of it and we'll give you something new.

Why can't instances grow, or adapt, evolve into something better. Why is it always rinse and repeat. One of the best parts of creating a story driven MMO is you can take the story where ever you like.

I certainly didn't log nearly 1000 hours on ME2 because I found the Download center the point of interest. Granted this is a single player game, they both use choice selection and your opinion play into the story. I doubt I am alone when saying that it's not unheard of to think that multiple people will enjoy leveling at least 2 characters.

In wow, I had 5 60's; then when 70 was top, I had 6 70's; When 80 was top, I had 5 80's; When 85 was top, I had close to 8 GEARED 85's. I am already 50 on one character and reasonably geared. I am currently working on a second 50 on republic side and it's my favorite thus far. I am still very excited to play Sith Sorcerer, and Imperial Agent. They will probably be my next 1 or 2. But I am enjoying republic so far as a smuggler.

I recently saw close to 25-30 Empire players in the span of an hour on Alderan. I did my best to gank them all, but alas...one or two were able to swing back and take me down. I had a blast, and it baffles me to see so many cry about server balance and how much they dislike the lack of things to do. Only to then outright refuse to try the other features and claim it's a poor game.

It's tiresome to see so many fret over things like bugs, and features missing from a game that is new to them. If they provide every single thing that a player wants right away, how will they ever have anything to release.

Don't any of you remember what it's like to see a feature being released and being excited about it? This gimme gimme, now now mentality has hit the internet like a flash mob and it's SO TIRED. We get it, you know all the answers!

Anywho, I digress..

*Cheers*

That's an interesting thought.

End Game Play may be what keeps a game going for those that actually reach the end.

But how many people actually do "end game play". I've heard the percent on WoW is only something like 5%. My dad's been playing for years and never did any "end game" play. He's pretty much entirely switched over to ToR, because he likes the stories better.

Very rarely have I ever reached "end game" content with one character before an expansion comes out, much less (considering there *are* 8 storylines here to play through, where most MMO's just have 1 or none after the "newbie" area.) 8 characters.

And, of course, the one time I did reach that point... I simply switched over to a different game until the next EP came out.

'Course, I also don't try to blow through MMO's as fast as possible. I actually play other games too. (Soul Caliber just came out, for instance... my copy is in the mail) MMO's are a nice friendly fallback for when I'm too lazy to do something more focused/demanding, or between finishing one game and starting a new one.

Thanks for the show. Just finished listening to this at work. Interesting... Will say though, that Reid's response regarding World Firsts/Achievements was really disheartening to hear. How can you seriously think that an MMO should be about the journey and not endgame content? You're shooting yourself in the foot when you think the "journey" will keep players resubscribing for months upon months when the entire process of getting from 1-50 takes 3-6 days of /played. /facepalm

I love the fact that its about the journey and not totally about end game. I can't wait to go back and play other characters WHILE working on my main.

You can keep your hardcore, world first, attitude and send it to a different game. I love this game for not completely following the mold, even if the system has been done before.

Confirmation that Same-Faction vs. Same-Faction gameplay will be in the upcoming Warzone. (Like Huttball)

No thank you for keeping butchering the lore and totally screwing your 2 opposed factions core design. Just make the Republic side more appealing or add a 3rd faction unlocked with the legacy system.

The UI Customization in the “Coming to TOR” Video was just a glimpse of what the Dev Team is working on.

You'd better ;)

Confirmation that the “Legacy System” will carry over specific races between the two factions. (NEW Race & Class Combinations)

Please start allowing us either different Legacy names on our characters or Last Names. Many of us don't want our Twilek Jedi have the same Legay name as our Sith Warrior.

On the agenda tweaks and changes will be coming to Crew Skills and the “GTN” (Galactic Trade Network).

Hopefully making every each of the Crew Skills worth it.

Now for the GTN just allow us to do what we already do in real like: browsing them with our datapads. Same for emails.

Guild Ships remain on the table of discussion with BioWare Developers,however, no guarantee a “guild space/area” will be implemented as a guild ship…guild halls and guild housing have also been discussed.

The Guild Headquarters that was on the forums in the past will be returning and it will be better.

No pun intended: don't waste any second on this if there's no "housing" furnishing from start. Players don't want static "guild tagged" buildings. They want to display trophies, furnish the guild halls and so on.

Along with that BioWare is considering other potential elements seen from other MMOs to be implemented on SWTOR.com in the future. Maybe an armory?!

I just yawned.

There's so much to be done in game than work on this at this time. IMHO you'd better invest the $$$ into say (multiplayer?) Pazaak, gear dyes, more body customization, making the world feels more alive down to 3D space sim than, once again ARMORY!!!

Edited by Deewe

For you perhaps. My highest toon is at 42 at what, 40 days played or so?

Things like World Firsts can stay where they belong, in a different game for all I care.

You've been playing for 40x24 hours?

Because that's what '3 days played' means - it means 72 hours.

And I'm leaving if they actually implement more same-faction warzones. They're playing an active role in killing the republic faction on pvp and rp pvp servers, and I can't support that as a republic player.

Edited by Auxili

Confirmation that the “Legacy System” will carry over specific races between the two factions. (NEW Race & Class Combinations)

Please start allowing us either different Legacy names on our characters or Last Names. Many of us don't want our Twilek Jedi have the same Legay name as our Sith Warrior.

QFT.

Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

Well, maybe second dumbest. Panda Pokemon is pretty damned dumb, IMHO.

Edited by Valethar

Thanks for the show. Just finished listening to this at work. Interesting... Will say though, that Reid's response regarding World Firsts/Achievements was really disheartening to hear. How can you seriously think that an MMO should be about the journey and not endgame content? You're shooting yourself in the foot when you think the "journey" will keep players resubscribing for months upon months when the entire process of getting from 1-50 takes 3-6 days of /played. /facepalm

I spent 4 years on the journey in EQ - Alternate Advancement kept me happy as I diverted 90% of my xp gain into develping new customisation for my character.

They just need something like that here - for me end game is death and I leave for a new MMO when I hit it.

That's actually not at all what he said. What he said was they didn't want to put things (such as world firsts) into place to encourage people to race to cap and skip all the content they put so much work into. The idea behind this is that, as opposed to other MMO's such as WoW, where the game "begins" at level cap, SW:TOR begins at level 1 and continues up to and including level cap.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone that they know end game is important, as within the first month they've already added a level 50 flashpoint (part 1 of 2) and expanded one of the 2 launch Operations.

Agree.

I don't understand why this is such a difficult principle to grasp.

That's actually not at all what he said. What he said was they didn't want to put things (such as world firsts) into place to encourage people to race to cap and skip all the content they put so much work into. The idea behind this is that, as opposed to other MMO's such as WoW, where the game "begins" at level cap, SW:TOR begins at level 1 and continues up to and including level cap.

It should be pretty obvious to anyone that they know end game is important, as within the first month they've already added a level 50 flashpoint (part 1 of 2) and expanded one of the 2 launch Operations.

They did not expand the launch operation. The finished the launch operation. They put in the content that should have been in at launch. The content that was released at launch did not have the mob that the place was named for. I think that is reasoning enough. Oh and what riveting content it is..

Listening to Stephen drone on and on in an attempt to validate bad design decisions for the first 20 minutes was boring. Then they brought up Ilum. And what was Stephen's response?

Oh, well, exploits are hard to catch to begin with, and you always have players that find an exploit and want to use it for their own gain instead of reporting them. (paraphrasing)

What... the f***.

Really? You're going to blame the god damned playerbase for an exploit that was posted about on the PTR forums several times before the patch went live? REALLY???

Oh, and the crowning jewel of crap was when he said that part of their "data" for nerfing Biochem were chat logs of people declining PUG members because they weren't using Biochem. Because as we all know, people have never been excluded from raids for stupid reasons, ever.

It's official: Stephen Reid isn't a community manager, he's a company apologist.

Confirmation that Same-Faction vs. Same-Faction gameplay will be in the upcoming Warzone. (Like Huttball)

Just make the Republic side more appealing or add a 3rd faction unlocked with the legacy system.

God, I'd love that-- but the chances are basically zilch. I've never seen anyone add a whole player faction to a game, and this would be the hardest one of all to add a faction to.

I would love a good three-faction game though, like DAoC. It'd be cool if servers were devoted to a single faction. Then have others that handle nothing but the rvr zones where they meet. Faction imbalances wouldn't mean as much, and your PvE experience would always seem populated.

Oh, and the crowning jewel of crap was when he said that part of their "data" for nerfing Biochem were chat logs of people declining PUG members because they weren't using Biochem. Because as we all know, people have never been excluded from raids for stupid reasons, ever.

If they are basing design decisions on chat logs this game is in trouble.

What's with all the terrible music before it? Get rid of that trash! Just wasted like 3 mins of my life on it!

Also the interviewer is terrible. Lots of teenage giggles and pop culture references. Seems like an 1990's MTV interview.

So glad I missed it! Now where's the transcript or summary?

Are they fixing Unload, so I'm not firing into a corpse long after it ended? Are they making it so I can finally add my name to my alts friends list? Are they going to stop the Interrupting pop up windows from my crew when I'm in the middle of a fight? Will they stop it from closing my GTN interface? What about all these quests I have that I can't abandon? I can't hold anymore till I complete them! Did they say a darn thing about Legacy, and if I should hold off on alts? A lot of people going to be really irritated if they find out Legacy would have unlocked a new species choice at character creation.

Or did they just ask him what BioWare told them to ask him? :rolleyes:

Edited by Kourage

God, I'd love that-- but the chances are basically zilch. I've never seen anyone add a whole player faction to a game, and this would be the hardest one of all to add a faction to.

I would love a good three-faction game though, like DAoC. It'd be cool if servers were devoted to a single faction. Then have others that handle nothing but the rvr zones where they meet. Faction imbalances wouldn't mean as much, and your PvE experience would always seem populated.

They can add a story-less 3rd faction.

Say you unlock the 3rd faction with the legacy system, then through it you can now transfer a maxed out character to it.

So while you would not be able to level a 3rd faction character you could enjoy end content with it, especially PvP.

What's with all the terrible music before it? Get rid of that trash! Just wasted like 3 mins of my life on it!

Also the interviewer is terrible. Lots of teenage giggles and pop culture references. Seems like an 1990's MTV interview.

Haters gonna hate. The music at beginning was less then a minute long...and relevant to the theme of the show. This has how we've always done our shows and it's successful.

Haters gonna hate. The music at beginning was less then a minute long...and relevant to the theme of the show. This has how we've always done our shows and it's successful.

Very true just ignore them..I have a feeling they won't be around very long...:rolleyes: I always enjoyed you guys podcast great job. :)

Ugh. I just don't think Bioware gets it. Emp vs. Emp pvp will kill the Republic completely.

This game is only an MMO in the fact that 1) more than 64 people are able to log into one server at a time 2) we have to pay monthly to play the game.

Edited by GripenWard

If Bioware gave us mission creation tools..... we could possibly churn out years worth of content... in a matter of weeks

I can't help but think about AE in City of Heroes, and how the majority of missions people make seem to include a super mega elite arch villain version of their main characters. :o

Edited by grania