You can't compare SWTOR to Vanilla WoW

samht

On the forums a lot of people seem to be comparing SWTOR to Vanilla WoW. Guess what? You are wrong. Why? I am glad you asked. First, when it comes any product the consumer will only judge it by what the market is. Second when WoW came out it was revolutionary. Although the game follows a similar model it used a new approaches to reducing pauses between game encounters were well liked, an example was the approach to character death. In previous MMORPGs, a player would suffer a high penalty for character death; in World of Warcraft, a player is able to recover and start playing quickly. Combat was another area where "downtime", or pauses between play, was reduced. By allowing all character types to recover from damage taken, players can return to combat quickly. WoW was the first in the genre to be more accessible to casual players, while still having "deep" gameplay that would attract players of all levels of interest. Examples: The concept of a "rested bonus", Instances, Most popular was the fact that a player could run from one end of the continent to the other without having to pause at a "loading screen" while part of the game is retrieved from storage. Finally, (but there many more) Customer and community support were among the best.

Now, I know to an extend the voice acting and story of Swtor is great But and its a big But it won't matter. Why, because mmos live and die with end game. In a few months most of the population will be at end game and at end game swtor can't compete with WoW or Rift. Not to mention the fact that there are only 1 zone to level through after the 2 starting ones and 90% of the story is the same. Finally, the voice actors are the same for both faction but they play different roles- breaks immersion for me.

Now, I don't think swtor is going anywhere, even though I don't think its a WoW killer like people have thought. I am mostly worried when when Diablo 3, MoP and Guild War2 come out.

I like the game, I only wished they would of had waited until it was finished.

SWTOR should add

LFFP

LFOP

add on support

macro system

phasing (next expansion)

less loading (next expansion

Re tool the travel system

let us use are companions in PVP, FP and OP because i miss them.

Get rid of RNG in crafting.

Edited by samht
grammer

My car doesn't compete with cars today. They don't even make my car anymore.

It's still better and more reliable because it's been in production longer. You can't just discount the fact that with lots of time invested, quality increases.

I think the OP's point is that we shouldn't be comparing a new MMO in 2012 to a new MMO in 2004.

And it's a good point. We don't typically compare software released today to software released 8 years ago. We expect better, and rightfully so. Same thing with kids. If your 10 year old craps all over himself, you don't say "Hey, that's OK -- remember how much he used to crap on himself when he was 2?"

SWTOR shouldn't be having the same potty training issues that WoW did.

It's still better and more reliable because it's been in production longer. You can't just discount the fact that with lots of time invested, quality increases.

A car is a depreciating object. Horrible analogy.

Um......................

No. That is the worst thing I've ever read. There is no car on the market from 2004 that should be anywhere near as reliable as a 2011 or 2012 vehicle. If there is, then that manufacturer will fail.

Yea I kinda agree with this sentiment. I am glad they still make the old car and in fact other similar cars. There is a 10 month old car that is much better than this broken down car.

I am guessing this is your first MMO because everyone... and I mean everyone (except you) knows that MMOs are never finished.

Didn't play it, but I heard Rift was a very complete game at release.

Also, it's not so much that SWTOR isn't finished. Rather, it's got very core mechanics and features that are horribly incomplete.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy this game very much, and I'm playing it daily. But I can already see the horizon on this game. I'll be very much surprised if I'm still playing it in 3 months.

Greetings,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts about the game we appreciate all feedback. To help keep ideas organized we ask that you participate in pre-existing threads regarding some of the additional add-ons or suggests you may have.

Provided below are a few threads you may be interested in:

Mods/ Macros - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=72880

Dungeon Finder - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=184796

General Suggestions may be directed to the Suggestion Box sub-forum.