The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Tanking threat problem!

xaft

Without a threat meter it's your fault, as such, but don't feel bad about it. Many BH tanks will attest to having threat problems at one point or another.

First thing to do; Guard him. If it's consistently that guy Guard will do wonders.

Secondly it's all about heat management making the most of the procs. Stay below 40. As much as I like the parakeet build I do miss Heat Blast (sure it looks awful and it's damage is a little weak, but as a heat management tool it's very good).

Keep your heat low and maximise your procs (which will be plentiful with the parakeet build).

Does he out gear you?

Ok, I am having huge problems with threat management. I usually plays with my 3 other friends, an assasin, a sorcerer and a marauder. And the marauder always takes agro. Now, what I wonder is, is it my fault or his fault?

I am using my own version of the Parakeet: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGrb0roZZbIbbdh.1

Please help.

in short, thats not a tanking build, thats a PvP hybrid...just saying

DPS can and will pull aggro if they go all out. I'm pretty sure that is by design.

When running HMs, DPS should be killing the little guys first, then the strongs, then elites, then champions, etc.

If the DPS start off on the strongs/elites you'll probably not hold aggro, they take damage from that then you are fighting to try and get the little guys from attacking the healer from having to heal dps...yeah, messy. If I see dps constantly going after the strongest mob in a pack first, I'll tell them they need to kill **** in order so that things aren't so chaotic. I don't like tanking like a chicken with its head cut off and it makes my gaming experience better (and the healer's too as they aren't having to spam heals on DPS).

Also, make sure you check your rotation. Its hard to say what to use and when because packs of mobs have different abilities (like charging or stunning when pulled) but I typically charge in, Rocket Punch, Flame sweep, Thermal Sensor Override, Flame Thrower, Explosive Dart, Rocket Punch then Death From Above if its safe (and not break any CCs). That should give you plenty of time to build up aggro if the DPS aren't ******* and killing mobs in the wrong order.

I don't start with DfA usually because of CCs being in various spots and also mobs like to do things like charge in or stun, making it a waste to use. There's a really nice PT post around here somewhere that has DPS rotation listed (its a PT tanking spreadsheet post) and is full of great info - I recommend giving it a read.

DPS need to understand that this isn't WoW and that they need to kill in order to prevent tank (and probably healer) frustrations.

Edited by uebermann

Sounds like a rotation issue then if your losing aggro on bosses (assuming it isn't on one of the bosses with random aggro tables or random attacks (bonecrusher, the padawan on BT, BH on false emperor, etc...)).

In any bossfight where they have no aggro breaker, there is no DPS that should be able to break a competent tank's lock on a boss. Either tweak your build to a more serious tank spec, or work on your aggro building skills more in your rotation.

Ok, I am having huge problems with threat management. I usually plays with my 3 other friends, an assasin, a sorcerer and a marauder. And the marauder always takes agro. Now, what I wonder is, is it my fault or his fault?

I am using my own version of the Parakeet: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GMGrb0roZZbIbbdh.1

Please help.

Are you putting guard on him?

Firstly get a tanking spec cause threat is hella easy in swtor (im a full nightmare 16 cleared PT main tanker before the trolls start coming and chewing at my face.)

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301G0GrdorogzZMcbZ0c.1

Secondly yes guard your marauder if hes pulling aggro, if the assassin does after that improve your rotation or slap him and tell him to wait 5 seconds before key mashing.

Make sure you are using the correct abilities (dont unload its a waste of time)

Survival Cooldown if needed > Rocket Punch > Sure you dont need a survival cooldown? >Explosive Dart = Rail Shot > Flamethrower = Flame Burst pretty much, while keeping heat in check with Heat Blast.

If hes pulling aggro early in the boss fight you have several tools to burst your threat gain. Pop explosive fuel and Thermal Sensor Override and go to town Vent Heat and Heat Blast at the end of your burst and go back into normal rotation.

Knocked back? Use grapple for a threat boost on your way back.

Dont be afraid to roll taunts in early on.