OP as much DPS as Sniper?

Malsidius

Impossible to say with out damage logs. We just go off "feelings".

Consider the fight as well. OPs need to be in Melee to do any respectable amount of damage. So if they are chasing the boss, secondary targets or running out of AOE all the time they will be hampered.

Sniper is a turret, meaning a lot of cast bars, if they are being chased around by the boss mechanics they will suffer.

They both have advantages, depends on your preference. I can tell you being melee is sometimes a liability to the group. Looking at you boarding party.

1. Snipers are generally stationary so they are able to sit in one spot and pewpew

2. Snipers harder-hitting abilities have cast times and with that, larger numbers. In the time a Sniper can hit with Ambush an Op can perform 2-3 attacks

3. The only metric for damage right now is PvP and, given the fact Ops are melee and spend a lot of time on the move measuring their damage versus a human turret is not a reliable or fair comparison

In addition you kind of need to specify what specs you're referring to. Snipers, however, are pretty much straight DPS (like Marauders) and that needs to be taken into account. Snipers SHOULD be more overall DPS but if you're in a situation (like a raid) where DPS is not the main factor they lose their allure

I started with Sniper played to 16 and quit for Operative because Sniper was so fragile (literally was having trouble with class quests).

Played Operative to level 32, but didn't like the play style, it was too melee focused. (I tried a sith warrior in beta and just don't like jumping around in melee, which exactly how the operative played, maybe even more so since some attacks are positional and you have to be behind your opponent).

So I went back to my sniper and modified my strategies and build a bit. This is the class I wanted, a little ranged *pew*pew* machine. Although it does get a little frustartating knowing that the maximum range on my scoped sniper rifle is no futher than you can throw a light saber or jump in this game. And that even though I apparently do not know how to use a pistol I carry one around for shooting peoples faces.

2. Snipers harder-hitting abilities have cast times and with that, larger numbers. In the time a Sniper can hit with Ambush an Op can perform 2-3 attacks

Ambush is 1.5 seconds after a snipe crit or 2.5 without it, so really its 1 or 1.67.