[An Easy Fix] for Project

dargor-

People have been complaining about the Jedi Consular ability Project

Main Concerns :

- Despite being categorized as an instant spell the animation delays the damage component long enough for it to feel unfair compared to its Empire mirror Shock.

- People playing advanced class Shadow often complain that they don't even see the rock coming out of the ground and into the air as they're already running towards their target.

Solution : Turn Project into a 2-hit move

Make the Rock come out of the ground right underneath the enemy target's feet, hitting it on the way up for instant damage and then hitting it again with the regular animation.

Divide the damage so that the first hit does 70% of the damage and the 2nd hit 30%

Tada

Edited by dargor-

Interesting.

I just started a Consular Alt last night... and the delay feeling of the Project skill did feel ... off.

Your suggestion is kind of an elegant way to do it. Rock flies up out of the ground right next to the target causing serious damage, flies up, swoops then slams back into them. The 'stun effect' on lesser foes can also occur the instant the rock flies up out of the ground (thus suggesting they are stunned by what the heck was THAT?!).

Interesting idea indeed! With no imbalances added. Cool.

Edited by Frigidman

weird thing is, for me there are a few abilities that actually did damage before the animation finished, Ambush is one even though it's a cast, it would take the damage off before the shot animation finished, yet project doesn't. I didnt' have any lag issues, but weird to see damage being done by a cast before it's finished where as it's the opposite for an instant.

weird thing is, for me there are a few abilities that actually did damage before the animation finished, Ambush is one even though it's a cast, it would take the damage off before the shot animation finished, yet project doesn't. I didnt' have any lag issues, but weird to see damage being done by a cast before it's finished where as it's the opposite for an instant.

Yeah, the Thermo Detonator on smugglers too. The mobs even begin agro the instant your character pulls a nade out before throwing it. Kind of silly.

Instead of changing the Consular version, why not change the Empire version? Project is one of my favourite animations, though I think your idea would be cool too. The Sorceror has too many lightning attacks. It's boring. What if the Empire version had an animation where the Sorceror reaches one hand up in the air and then brings it down (mimicing the animation of Project), and the target is struck by a lightning bolt from the skies. The animation timing would put it on par with the Consular. This would have both classes with an instant attack where the damage triggers a second later.

An alternative would be that, as part of the OP's suggestion, the Sorceror's version needs to have a timing & damage pattern matching the mirror, so if the Consular is a double strike, the Sorc one should be as well. For the Sorc, the initial damage would be the initial lightning strike as it is now, but the electric currents continue spreading across the body until it builds up into an electric explosion. For both Consular & Sorceror, I think 25% damage & stun on the initial and 75% damage on the follow-up would be better.

Another alternate suggestion: The Consular does the big hit & stun from the ground below as a pile of unstable ground is thrown into the sky and becomes a cloud of rocks. This triggers a short DoT as the rocks continue to strike at the target from above. The Sorceror version starts as the lightning strike with the stun, and the electric currents forcing the stun also trigger a DoT. For this to work, the stun would need to be unbreakable by that specific DoT.

Instead of changing the Consular version, why not change the Empire version? Project is one of my favourite animations, though I think your idea would be cool too. The Sorceror has too many lightning attacks. It's boring. What if the Empire version had an animation where the Sorceror reaches one hand up in the air and then brings it down (mimicing the animation of Project), and the target is struck by a lightning bolt from the skies. The animation timing would put it on par with the Consular. This would have both classes with an instant attack where the damage triggers a second later.

An alternative would be that, as part of the OP's suggestion, the Sorceror's version needs to have a timing & damage pattern matching the mirror, so if the Consular is a double strike, the Sorc one should be as well. For the Sorc, the initial damage would be the initial lightning strike as it is now, but the electric currents continue spreading across the body until it builds up into an electric explosion. For both Consular & Sorceror, I think 25% damage & stun on the initial and 75% damage on the follow-up would be better.

Another alternate suggestion: The Consular does the big hit & stun from the ground below as a pile of unstable ground is thrown into the sky and becomes a cloud of rocks. This triggers a short DoT as the rocks continue to strike at the target from above. The Sorceror version starts as the lightning strike with the stun, and the electric currents forcing the stun also trigger a DoT. For this to work, the stun would need to be unbreakable by that specific DoT.

That would come down to nerfing Shock, which isn't something I like seing, i already think the whole nerfing philosophy is bleh, I'd rather they buff'd one than nerf one.

Shock is awesome. It also shows a real progression in power as you gain more abilities. If you dont light a lightning theme based inquisitor/sin/sorcerer then really, tough. It fits with the lore and they ani's are very very well done and match there descriptions...instant is instant. Now people that complain that consulars have been reduced to rock/junk throwing, and dont like that for jedi, do have a legitimate axe to grind.

That being said...

The project animation is not instant. It takes time to pull up the rock/junk, spin it then hurl it. The project animation also sux beyond belief for a number of reason, but ASSUMING you like it, you cant think it belongs to an instant skill and be taken seriously.

So an easy easy fix is to swap the disturbance and project animations. Disturbance has an activation timer, which is what chunk a clunker needs. You can also speed up the wind-up for disturbance with no problem in the animation. So it could easily be made it a instant ability.

I have made alot of other suggestions for project and throw, but this is probably the simplest...

Edited by Dyvim

The project animation is not instant. It takes time to pull up the rock/junk, spin it then hurl it. The project animation also sux beyond belief for a number of reason, but ASSUMING you like it, you cant think it belongs to an instant skill and be taken seriously.

So an easy easy fix is to swap the disturbance and project animations. Disturbance has an activation timer, which is what chunk a clunker needs. You can also speed up the wind-up for disturbance with no problem in the animation. So it could easily be made it a instant ability.

I have made alot of other suggestions for project and throw, but this is probably the simplest...

What makes an instant skill special animation wise is that it can be triggered while moving.

Or you know, just decouple game mechanics from animations and make it deal damage before the rock hits them. Just like maul should deal its damage before the stupidly long windup animation occurs (especially as this can cause it to bug out and you wind up like 3 times but no maul probably because the game gets confused about the positional req), and casting spells as an assassin shouldn't make you wave your hands around for longer than the GCD.

Or you know, just decouple game mechanics from animations and make it deal damage before the rock hits them. Just like maul should deal its damage before the stupidly long windup animation occurs (especially as this can cause it to bug out and you wind up like 3 times but no maul probably because the game gets confused about the positional req), and casting spells as an assassin shouldn't make you wave your hands around for longer than the GCD.

While I agree about Maul, decoupling Project's animation would kill the immersion, i believe the solution I posted in the OP would more than satisfy the need for instant damage.

Forget immersion. There is a clear advantage for the Empire's mirror class and skill when their mirror skill is instant and ours is not. The skill is listed as instant, and it is not.

Make it so the damage is instant first, fix the animation later.

This. Make the change now, suffer a subtle lack of immersion (that other classes deal with anyway) for the time being, then later revisit Project or Shock.