Immersion Challenge

clintcasey

The following is a simply set of rules to challenge yourself and how you engage the story and the. The challenge, go from beginning to end in the game and make decissions based souly on what feels right, and not not because the option you pick tells you it's light or dark side.

Rule 1: Make a fresh character.

Rule 2: Turn off Light and Dark Side indicators on all quests choices.

Rule 3: Never hold your mouse on top of the conversation wheel see what the choices will give you before you make them.

Rule 4: Use the 1, 2, 3 Hot-keys to make all of your decisions in the game.

Rule 5: Do that all the way threw game until you reach level 50.

A lot of people have done this already. It's a game, let people min/max.

Min/Max is so bad. It's destroy the purpose of a story. Although BioWare made some effort during some conversation. Your companions do not always react good when you pick light or Dark side but often more situational. I always had problem to interpret their dialogue choice. It's not always clear. The option seem to be more about what your character 'think' and not what your character want to say and sometime the opposite. So it's not always clear and my character often end up interpreting what I picked differently than what I though.

Min/Max gamer just want to please their companions or raise the light or dark bar so they can be at their best. I can respect that because....

...you will often miss game content if you don't do it. One of the reason gamer tend to meta, min/max in the first place. That why video game will never have the narrative of a movie. A movie it's that .. The story . While a video game it's content that you unlock when you pick the right answer so it leave less option for telling a story .

I think affection bar and light/Dark bar should be here a hidden metric. The consequence should be determined toward your action in the game and not a metric bar that 'calculate' your action or just hide it altogether so we don't have another bar to grind.

Edited by FichutheDude

Min/Max is so bad. It's destroy the purpose of a story. Although BioWare made some effort during some conversation. Your companions do not always react good when you pick light or Dark side but often more situational. I always had problem to interpret their dialogue choice. It's not always clear. The option seem to be more about what your character 'think' and not what your character want to say and sometime the opposite. So it's not always clear and my character often end up interpreting what I picked differently than what I though.

Min/Max gamer just want to please their companions or raise the light or dark bar so they can be at their best. I can respect that because....

Even though I got thrown for a loop in courting my companion, I learned a lesson. I just figured if I picked the choice "[Flirt]...." I would always "get the girl". I found out the hard way that you actually have to think, or be somewhat realistic in the choice because just blindly clicking flirt was bad. So now it makes me appreciate the story and choices more.

...you will often miss game content if you don't do it. One of the reason gamer tend to meta, min/max in the first place. That why video game will never have the narrative of a movie. A movie it's that .. The story . While a video game it's content that you unlock when you pick the right answer so it leave less option for telling a story .

I think affection bar and light/Dark bar should be here a hidden metric. The consequence should be determined toward your action in the game and not a metric bar that 'calculate' your action or just hide it altogether so we don't have another bar to grind.

I have always believed that there should be "hidden metrics" in games like this, but in the end the players usually complain that they are being cheated out of something by not letting them know what they can achieve. I agree to a point. If you are going to reward me with awesome gear or something and all I have to pick is light or dark and go all the way, then I'll do it.

I agree with the original poster, that is the way to play the game to really get into the story, because you are rolling from your heart and head instead of "oh I'll get more points if I do X". The problem is even if nothing was visible to the end user, SOMEONE would play through every combination and post "do A, B, C, D, E and you will get a really cool X".

I personally play like I want too, and if I don't get like force 4, so be it.