The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

A Universe At War - Ilum/Open World Redesign

Aneu

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not quite as lengthy - this MAY be easier for the developers to stomach. I support your post OP, but I feel like it would require more change than Bioware might be willing to commit to. At the very least - perhaps my thread will be a stepping stone to getting to your thread. It would provide a more immediate solution. I would appreciate feedback on my idea as well.

Please check out the PVP forums for

Suggestion: A Simple Way to Fix Ilum

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=292895

Please show support if you like it!! Please spread the word to other active PVPers, especially battlemasters!

Edited by WittyRaevyn

Although not quite as lengthy - this MAY be easier for the developers to stomach. I support your post OP, but I feel like it would require more change than Bioware might be willing to commit to. At the very least - perhaps my thread will be a stepping stone to getting to your thread. It would provide a more immediate solution. I would appreciate feedback on my idea as well.

Please check out the PVP forums for

Suggestion: A Simple Way to Fix Ilum

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=292895

Please show support if you like it!! Please spread the word to other active PVPers, especially battlemasters!

VoTF quit SWTOR, it was felt that with so much ineptittude and an unbelievable amount of lack of organisation in a game with 5 years in the making, it would take an impossible amount of time to create worthwhile pvp or fixes that this game requires.http://www.votf-online.net/index.php?app=uportal

Some of the OP ideas are neat, but people would still end up treating it like a grind mechanic or become a "are we allowed to go for boss yet? no ok see ya later" type thing.

Some of the best open world pvp in MMOs was able to occur because the players involved were motivated by more than the desire for gear or titles.

The games that spring to my mind as having pretty awesome open world pvp include EvE, Anarchy Online, pre-nge SWG and AOC. What made these games different in their OWPVP approach was their systems inspired a sense of ownership in the players. YOU/WE built that tower/base/keep and those bxxxxrds are trying to destroy it!

Your entirely guild benefited from its existence, including that guy/gal who hates pvp, and when they were threatened with the loss of that base/tower/whatever they showed up. Why? Because it was theirs. Because they spent time earning credits, farming materials, whatever to build it. Because if that other guy succeeds, all that work was for nothing.

So they show up, they fight for their home, even if theyre nothing more than a dancer with a republic blaster with zero combat abilities to speak of, or a new character in a frigate, or that level 6 guy who has 4 abilities to his name.

People who do not PvP solely for the enjoyment of it, which I would think is a fairly small percentage (of which I am a member) need to be motivated to do so for reasons other than new piece of gear.

You cannot motivate another person, you can only give them a reason to be motivated. True ownership and real sense of loss are pretty strong motivators, my experience in RL and in gaming has shown me.

People have asked for guild ships; I say thats skipping a step. Give us a small number of planets with claimable plots of varying size, with varying levels of benefit tied to their ownership. Allow guild bases to built there, nothing fancy, just an operating outpost so to speak. Give some small/moderate but desirable bonus to the guild members of the base owner, once a week craftables, whatever you think will work.

And then allow others to threaten (and occasionally succeed) to take it away.

Meaningful PvP.

Only thing I don't like is bumping the HP of the outnumbered faction. You cannot arbitrarily add HP to the smaller faction so that each group's total HP matches. Balance just doesn't work like that. There has to be another way. I would even suggest having NPCs or droids provide support to the smaller faction with the DPS and health comparible to players. Hell, even give them some semblence of teamwork by having them focus people. I just don't think bolstering the stats/HP/dmg/whatever of the smaller faction will work how you guys think.

Oh, and I think there are maybe 2/3 too many planets per side. But other than that this would be really cool.

Some of the OP ideas are neat, but people would still end up treating it like a grind mechanic or become a "are we allowed to go for boss yet? no ok see ya later" type thing.

Some of the best open world pvp in MMOs was able to occur because the players involved were motivated by more than the desire for gear or titles.

The games that spring to my mind as having pretty awesome open world pvp include EvE, Anarchy Online, pre-nge SWG and AOC. What made these games different in their OWPVP approach was their systems inspired a sense of ownership in the players. YOU/WE built that tower/base/keep and those bxxxxrds are trying to destroy it!

Your entirely guild benefited from its existence, including that guy/gal who hates pvp, and when they were threatened with the loss of that base/tower/whatever they showed up. Why? Because it was theirs. Because they spent time earning credits, farming materials, whatever to build it. Because if that other guy succeeds, all that work was for nothing.

So they show up, they fight for their home, even if theyre nothing more than a dancer with a republic blaster with zero combat abilities to speak of, or a new character in a frigate, or that level 6 guy who has 4 abilities to his name.

People who do not PvP solely for the enjoyment of it, which I would think is a fairly small percentage (of which I am a member) need to be motivated to do so for reasons other than new piece of gear.

You cannot motivate another person, you can only give them a reason to be motivated. True ownership and real sense of loss are pretty strong motivators, my experience in RL and in gaming has shown me.

People have asked for guild ships; I say thats skipping a step. Give us a small number of planets with claimable plots of varying size, with varying levels of benefit tied to their ownership. Allow guild bases to built there, nothing fancy, just an operating outpost so to speak. Give some small/moderate but desirable bonus to the guild members of the base owner, once a week craftables, whatever you think will work.

And then allow others to threaten (and occasionally succeed) to take it away.

Meaningful PvP.

I agree but this is not possible in SWTOR. Why? Because SWTOR is a lifeless dead world of worlds on rails with no crafting system and nothing to dew except pew pew.

All the great games you mention above were full of life, had dynamic worlds, player driven economies, complex crafting systems, complex resource gathering systems, many roles not just combat, everything created in world was from players. These games were sandbox games. SWTOR is Themepark alla WoW in space w/even more restrictions.

SWTOR is so far from where it needs to be from end game perspective that it can't be saved

/signed

I still love SWTOR as is (minority on the boards it seems) but, I definitely appreciate that someone took the time to actually propose effective and creative suggestions to improve upon the open world PVP, rather than just crying on every post.

Really interesting ideas, hope Bioware takes notice, and at least comments and considers your proposal.

/signed

I still love SWTOR as is (minority on the boards it seems) but, I definitely appreciate that someone took the time to actually propose effective and creative suggestions to improve upon the open world PVP, rather than just crying on every post.

Really interesting ideas, hope Bioware takes notice, and at least comments and considers your proposal.

You're not alone. I love the game. As far as Bioware taking notice I'm not sure why they would or what they could do. They're not going to change their newly created game. These aren't minor "fixes" being proposed but suggestions that would take months, years to implement.

Hi there!

Thanks for keeping this discussion constructive and interesting! We love to see threads like this and appreciate the effort you've put into the community!

However, we've recently had to remove or edit some posts in this thread, and would like to take a moment to remind you to please keep your posts constructive. Please do not simply bump the thread with /signed; make sure you are contributing to the discussion as well!

Thank you.

Hi there!

Thanks for keeping this discussion constructive and interesting! We love to see threads like this and appreciate the effort you've put into the community!

However, we've recently had to remove or edit some posts in this thread, and would like to take a moment to remind you to please keep your posts constructive. Please do not simply bump the thread with /signed; make sure you are contributing to the discussion as well!

Thank you.

Really? After all the thought that was put into the OP in the hope of saving open world pvp in this game, and all the support this thread has been getting, THIS is the official response? Removing posts from people who merely wish to see something like this implemented? Editing posts by people who have a hope that PvP can be more than a tacked on mini-game in SWTOR?

Guess what? All the /bump, /signed posts are being made because we feel we are being ignored. I know you're just doin' your job, but 64+ pages and that's all you have to say?

Love ya Bioware, but PvP in this game is shallow and without purpose. See ya when ya fix it.

P.S. Yes, you can have my stuff.

Edited by Archendrus