Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Will Bioware be able to deliver prior to the next big MMO?

Chiricahua

I hate to compare Bioware to WoW, but to me they're both in the same boat. I find the same excuses to not play SWTOR, that I do to not play WoW. By same excuses I mean it's no longer any fun. To my knowledge, Guild Wars 2 is the next big release. Correct me if I'm wrong. At any rate, that is about 10 weeks to fix Ilum, the gear system, warzones, faction imbalance, long queues, etc. Edited by Chiricahua

I thought GW2 was releasing Q4 2012?

If it is indeed in 10 weeks, this game is *********** doomed and they can kiss me GOODBYE!

I always envisioned playing both - but TOR's pvp is ****-ing horrid and I won't pay to stay here when GW2's pvp is so so so smexy. And free.

Edited by Darth_Eclipses

My guess is, they won't. In terms PvP GW2 will be the much better choice. Maybe they will come up in a year or so with some good ideas but the balance is already broken and it will take A LOT of effort to fix this. However, they could focus on the strong aspects none other game has to offer like the story and role-playing and keep a solid player base by doing that. Edited by Berinima

I thought GW2 was releasing Q4 2012?

If it is indeed in 10 weeks, this game is *********** doomed and they can kiss me GOODBYE!

I always envisioned playing both - but TOR's pvp is ****-ing horrid and I won't pay to stay here when GW2's pvp is so so so smexy. And free.

It is official that in February there is the "press beta" phase and in March/April they will do an open beta. My guess is it will be released to E3. They won't close the servers much longer than one month after open beta.

It is official that in February there is the "press beta" phase and in March/April they will do an open beta. My guess is it will be released to E3. They won't close the servers much longer than one month after open beta.

Good news!

Thank you for the info!

hahahahahaha

GW2

hahahahahaha

Yeah, I'm sure ArenaNet will be laughing too....all the way to the bank as they will find themselves consistently beating SWTOR in sales, comparison reviews, metacritic scores, actual potential for ESport play (not just pipedream wishes like TOR's devs) and technical capability.

This game cannot handle 20 (TWENTY) people on a screen at once; GW2 is making maps to encompass HUNDREDS in an area at once.

Laugh it up now biodrone. Will be crying soon.

Edited by Darth_Eclipses

You're saying you're leaving because there are problems after a month? Do you really expect that GW2 will be released without any problems?

EA has far more money behind it to rapidly develop things and considering the amount of money that EA put into TOR it has a considerable stake in their future.

ArenaNet has considerably less capital behind it for development.

This means that EA does have the ability to keep people enticed whereas ArenaNet is less so.

This is besides the fact of gameplay. Which healer is going to GW2? There's no specific Healing class, to me it's just unappealing.

Plus you're forgetting the power of brands, this is SW and in the general populace SW is a much bigger brand than GW.

The fact is, you don't know what BW has planned for the next 10 weeks. They were surely expecting the GW2 to be released and will have something planned to counter it.

They should have just pushed this game back a few more months so they could make it look like a real MMO.

Now they are going to have ragequitters and they are never going to get any PVPers back from GW2.

I'm sure I'll be playing GW2 a good amount when it comes out. The PVP has to be more involving than this game.

Honestly, I hope GW2 does "win", and by win, I mean picking up the lions share of independant MMO players (non-fanbois that recognize a bad MMO for what it is). It's something of a moral thing for me. GW2 isn't backed by a company that supports SOPA, they don't buy franchises just to gut them and mass produce subpar games, and they actually CARE about the quality of products they put out (GW1 was pretty good for it's time....even if you disagree, they are one of the few MMO developers not afraid of making something other than WoW v2.x).

Yeah, I'm sure ArenaNet will be laughing too....all the way to the bank as they will find themselves consistently beating SWTOR in sales, comparison reviews, metacritic scores, actual potential for ESport play (not just pipedream wishes like TOR's devs) and technical capability.

While they may beat TOR in reviews, long term viability and quality of PvP...there is no way they will beat them in sales.

Not a chance.

Edited by EternalFinality

Is there already a GW2 release date???!?!?!?!?!?!?

No, not a real date. However, they recently released their beta schedule:

http://www.arena.net/blog/dragon

It is just an optimistic estimation that when they do large scale open beta testing in March/April they really go for an E3 release.

On the other hand, let them take their time. They will anyway. They will release their game when it's ready not when EA wants to push it into christmas sale.

Edited by Berinima

The original GW sold over 8million copies.

Not a chance?

Sure about that?

If you log into GW1 there's still lots of stuff going on, PvP, PvE... Even the starter areas are still crowded. And they still do lots of updates, expansions and events and how old is it? Six years or so? If SWTOR can last six months with a player base comparable to GW1 they are lucky.

Fixed or not ill be done when gw2 releases. Not because i dont enjoy swtor, i am actually having a blast, i just rerolled rep and left a 50 and a 30 on imp side, i now have a 35 and a 20(new main) on rep. I love the story and even the pvp.

I will leave because this game and my 1 yr resub to wow prior to swtor has all been just filler as i wait for gw2. IMHO gw2 will control the market and even if it doesnt i will still play it if its 3/4 as good as it looks. Why leave a game i enjoy? Because gw2 looks like it will break the mold of mmos holy trinity(heal/tank/dps) and im ready for something unique, and i think the mmo community as a whole is ready too.

Edited by phluke

I will leave because this game and my 1 yr resub to wow prior to swtor has all been just filler as i wait for gw2. imo gw2 will control the market and even if it doesnt i will still play it if its 3/4 as good as it looks. Why leave a game i enjoy? because gw2 looks like it will break the mold of mmos holy trinity(heal/tank/dps) and im ready for something unique.

Also they will have three-faction objective-based open world pvp as well as balanced warzone-esque smaller scale battles without overgeared 24/7 players steamrolling beginners. I was really, really hoping SWTOR and GW2 could co-exist pvp wise. If things stay overall as they are now, they simply can't.

Edited by Berinima

I hate to compare Bioware to WoW, but to me they're both in the same boat. I find the same excuses to not play SWTOR, that I do to not play WoW. By same excuses I mean it's no longer any fun. To my knowledge, Guild Wars 2 is the next big release. Correct me if I'm wrong. At any rate, that is about 10 weeks to fix Ilum, the gear system, warzones, faction imbalance, long queues, etc.

This begs the question: "Will they be able to fix all the problems in GW2 in 15 weeks before the next title?"......

This begs the question: "Will they be able to fix all the problems in GW2 in 15 weeks before the next title?"......

As someone who enjoys TOR, but has a stronger interest in PvP and, as a result, GW2, I don't think ArenaNet will have that issue. Reason being is they have the systems I am looking for as part of their design goals. It just comes up to getting them working properly, rather than hoping the get implemented (like with TOR).

love it, GW2 will solve everything, TOR will solve everything, Rift will solve everything, Warhammer Online will solve everything. Get over yourselves. GW2 will be a buggy mess for the first few months and pvp imbalance will be rampant like it was in GW1 for a good while. People like you are never satisfied.

They should have just pushed this game back a few more months so they could make it look like a real MMO.

Now they are going to have ragequitters and they are never going to get any PVPers back from GW2.

I'm sure I'll be playing GW2 a good amount when it comes out. The PVP has to be more involving than this game.

Honestly, I hope GW2 does "win", and by win, I mean picking up the lions share of independant MMO players (non-fanbois that recognize a bad MMO for what it is). It's something of a moral thing for me. GW2 isn't backed by a company that supports SOPA, they don't buy franchises just to gut them and mass produce subpar games, and they actually CARE about the quality of products they put out (GW1 was pretty good for it's time....even if you disagree, they are one of the few MMO developers not afraid of making something other than WoW v2.x).

^^THIS!!^^ this so much this

GW2 isn't backed by a company that supports SOPA, they don't buy franchises just to gut them and mass produce subpar games, and they actually CARE about the quality of products they put out

The amount of destructive criticism of this game after it has completed its first month is insane. No mmorpg known to mankind solves all their issues until after the first six months or so. For those who delusionally think that GW2 will be a bugless balanced pvp playground you are dreaming.

Bioware is aware that this is their ultimate project. They will do all it takes to see this through, with or without you guys. You are not irreplaceable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.