When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

Tostatus.net has some general population information on it. Also, http://dulfy.net/2012/02/24/some-numerical-population-data-for-swtor-servers/ has even more. I'm hoping to post something in this thread with a list of compilations - assuming that even 5% of a server's active population moves, mass migrations to a few servers could improve things drastically. Yes, those who don't reroll or are unwilling to reroll will get the shaft, but when transfers are open, this will happen anyway (although to a different extent).

So, who wants to crunch some numbers with me and come up with a list of targets?

And who wants to flame this idea without putting one out yourself?

incoming flames telling you that site does not tell you anything about server populations

DUCK!!!!!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should focus on the problem, not what we think is causing the problem. The problem is finding people for groups and WZs.

While I agree a likely contributor to this problem is a population issue for all those light servers that were added toward the end of launch, I don't think it's helpful to assume a merge will fix this. There are other factors involved.

It's probable that server population is only one part of what's causing this. Maybe it's incredible faction imbalance. Maybe it's that people just don't pug anymore due to making friends and joining guilds. Maybe it's the separation of players due to instancing.

I think we should stick to the actual problems in regards to feedback, instead of giving feedback about what we think is causing these problems.

All of these tests and charts and educated guesses... all the hours players are spending to determine a rough estimate of server populations... this really accomplishes nothing. Bioware can have the exact information in a matter of minutes.

What does help is data about the actual problem: It's difficult to find people for groups and WZs. Instead of spending hours trying to figure out something they already know (server population), we should be telling them what they don't know, and that's how often you have problems finding groups, and the details involved with those efforts.

Most likely this is caused by a combination of things. If they can fix this problem without a merge, great. If it takes a merge, great. But our feedback should be about the actual problem, not our assumption of the cause. That could hurt us more than help us.

This thread has really opened my eyes. I guess I was lucky for choosing Krayt Dragon. I honestly thought the population might have been slowly dieing just based on the amount of people on the planets that I was on. But then I went to the fleet (during prime time) and there were around 240 people and I was like, "That's actually pretty good." I figured the planets seemed so empty because they spread out the content too much and we have quite a few 50s on our server.

In conclusion, come to krayt dragon. Although maybe not because my fps in the fleet is already pretty bad. :p

No they were not, the queues were what was to be expected from a newly launched highly anticipated game with a absurdly low server population cap being enforced to keep the servers stable.

The kneejerk reaction to add more servers in response to whiners who did'nt know what to expect from an MMO launch has landed us here.

I'm glad you get to play on a server with plenty of people on it, but your experience does not reflect my own (nor that of many others)

As to guilds, guilds can only exist with a population to sustain them, I think perhaps you missed the core point of this post ie that there is insufficient population on a lot of servers to maintain active group play (this includes setting up guilds to run ops/fp's etc)

And more to the point, I fail to see why everybody has such a big problem with this, merges would create a far more centralised population which would mean more opportunies for everybody for all types of group play. It would also reduce Biowares overhead and would be fairly easily managed as at this point the population as a whole will have stabilised and will rise/fall in a much more predictable pattern than it did during launch month.

Too much credence is being given to the idea that server merges=game death, and frankly it's getting irritating, and whining from those that say 'zomg the population on my server is fine' is misplaced as if your server population is good you have nothing to fear as your server is highly unlikely to be merged.

So we have nothing to lose and everything to gain, so whats the damn problem?

This.

This dude speaks the truth. I rolled on Tarro Blood, along with everyone on my guild from WoW, back during early access the server was capped with a queue. I had high hopes that once Bioware would increase the cap, more people would come in and we would have a health high pop server.

Tarro Blood is now pretty much dead. At best, we have Standard Population. Merge 2 Standard Pop servers and you now have 1 single High/Full server with a thriving community and economy to play with.

There's zero downside to merging.

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

You misunderstand, Bioware SAID they where working on expanding server ROOM so queues wouldnt be so long/No queue.

Bioware has done a good In this area of making sure we dont have to Wait to get in.. 1.7 million players are still playing Every website you search will tell you that right now.

You misunderstand, Bioware SAID they where working on expanding server ROOM so queues wouldnt be so long/No queue.

Bioware has done a good In this area of making sure we dont have to Wait to get in.. 1.7 million players are still playing Every website you search will tell you that right now.

LOL.

Please. Every website out there that tracks server status shows a steep decline after the 1 month window, then a steady down-ward slope ever since.

Show me one that shows an up-ward trend. It doesn't exist. This game is losing more subs per month than it is gaining.

LOL.

Please. Every website out there that tracks server status shows a steep decline after the 1 month window, then a steady down-ward slope ever since.

Show me one that shows an up-ward trend. It doesn't exist. This game is losing more subs per month than it is gaining.

Not withstanding the fact that none of the status trackers actully show you anything numerical about the activities inside the servers, you are once again exaggerating.

Only one metric matters: Active subscription count for the server. Because this represents the load potential of the server. And it is load potential that you balance populations to, NOT the apparent observed whims of the masses. AND only Bioware has the data for this metric.

With routine patches for conent add, the actual activity levels ebb and flow as people hop in and consume new content. It would not be at all surprising to see servers full, with wait times when 1.2 goes live for example. Then a month later, they settle back down.

That said, server transfer mechanics are coming. When they do, people will be empowered to move around the server farm. And I'm sure that will provide you with a whole new chain of rant worthy material to play with.

Edited by Andryah

then how come there is only one server listed as 'heavy' per night. It seams like heavy = 1000 players on a server. So that would mean at no time do we even have 150,000 players on at once.

Sad to see a game I wanted to love so much be so bad.

then how come there is only one server listed as 'heavy' per night. It seams like heavy = 1000 players on a server. So that would mean at no time do we even have 150,000 players on at once.

That's unfortunate - cause there's a lot of people that are loving the game still!

Not withstanding the fact that none of the status trackers actully show you anything numerical about the activities inside the servers, you are once again exaggerating.

that is correct they do not show us anything but trends of the server status. are you so blind to see that the trend has been downward since the free 30 days were up?

1) Standard = ~ 1000-1500 on the server, so there is your first inaccuaracy

2) last night at 9:00 PM Pacific time, the NA server farm had one FULL, one VERY HEAVY, and 4 HEAVY, with the rest being STANDARD minus the 20 or so LIGHT servers (which are always, and have always been light. So there is your second inaccuracy.

And if you were refering to EU servers, I check them every couple days at their prime time, and they are actually very similar.

Edited by Andryah

That's unfortunate - cause there's a lot of people that are loving the game still!

I would be having fun if I could find a server that has any players on it from 10PM to 1AM CST. As it stands now there are none. I tried a new server that was listed as heavy every night two weeks ago, guess what its now standard every night.

1) Standard = ~ 1000 on the server, so there is your first inaccuaracy

2) last night at 9:00 PM Pacific time, the NA server farm had one FULL, one VERY HEAVY, and 4 HEAVY, with the rest being STANDARD minus the 20 or so LIGHT servers (which are always, and have always been light. So there is your second inaccuracy.

And if you were refering to EU servers, I check them every couple days at their prime time, and they are actually very similar.

I can post the scree shots i took at 11:30 CST two nights ago. One heavy server....

that is correct they do not show us anything but trends of the server status. are you so blind to see that the trend has been downward since the free 30 days were up?

1) I'm not blind

2) the stats available on these servers do not tell the whole story with respect to trends, so stop pretending that they do.

I can post the scree shots i took at 11:30 CST two nights ago. One heavy server....

Then do it. What will it prove for you? Because last night at 9:00 PM Pacifict time, different data that contradicts you was present on the server farm.

You are the one that said there is only every one HEAVY server. I am saying that just last night, you were wrong in that assertion.

Edited by Andryah

Did I, at any point in my post say, or even allude to this? Did I say these sites track numbers? I clearly used "status". Which means, Light, Standard, Heavy, Very Heavy and Full.

Now, posters like yourself like to use the "They change the server caps all the time!!" lame excuse.

Now, if that's true, did they also stop logging their bots in or something? Because I can clearly see the difference between 200 on Fleet, and 98. I can clearly see the difference between 45 on Hoth, and 15.

I have no doubt they doubled the server caps (Why they were as low as they were I have no idea, all that idiocy led to was a horrible spread out playerbase, leaving 80% of the servers densely populated and struggling to breathe).

I bet you Bioware doesn't announce hard numbers anymore. I bet you anything.

Now, if you're on Canderious Ordo or some other heavy server, congratz, you are still enjoying it's twilight. But saying "Population isn't dropping, my server has actually increased in players!11!!" is idiotic. Why? Because players who like the game abandon their characters on low-pop servers and re-roll on higher pop servers. Which means less players on the server (s)he left. You know what happens when the next player doesn't want to re-roll? He/She unsubscribes. Welcome to TOR's problem.

But, sticking your hand in the sand and pretending this game isn't bleeding subs because your server hasn't changed, is like sitting on your deck, enjoying the breeze while a nuke lands in the middle of Russia and saying "What? No nukes exploded today! It's still nice out!". That's great for you, but those folks in Russia aren't exactly experiencing a nice day. Their reality is vastly different from yours, as mine is.

Um I call fake. There are more servers than that for one and I too know that there were more heavy servers last night.

How is it fake?

Thats what running in windows mode is, you have to scroll to see the rest DUH! My main server naddist rebles is way down on that list as light

and i was talking about two nights ago, reading is a skill!

Also funny when I posted similar screen shots of the asia servers not having a waiting time nobody questioned it....

So lets see what your screen shot looks like to show us how you can see all the servers without scrolling, come on, let me see it, i double dog dare you!

Edited by stickyickytricky

Um I call fake. There are more servers than that for one and I too know that there were more heavy servers last night.

Nah, not a fake. He runs in windowed mode so all servers wont fit in the window at once

Anyway, high pop player here just popping in to support all the ppl stuck on a low pop realm

BW needs to hurry up already and give an eta on free transfers or server merges

because playing on a realm with 10 ppl on fleet makes it practically unplayable