Sentinel vs Shadow

Crixaliss

My main is a L50 powertech PvE tank, really loving it, but I'm looking for something completely different for an ALT.

Figured republic is probably a good place to start because I don't want to be going through the same planet progression and side-quests all over again. I think I want to have some fun with a lightsaber too, so that limits me to knight and consular. I's like to go dps this time around, and two lightsabers, or double-bladed look a fun way to go, hence the choice between shadow and sentinel.

So some questions... do either of them have an interesting story? Are they both legitimate for PvE and PvP dps?

Jedi Knight (Sentinel) have THE story in the game. Some people like it, some don't. But from all 8 stories, this one is the one that has the largest influence at the overall game universe and story.

Depends what do you mean by that... The Consular only

saves the jedi order, makes more worlds and their armies join/don't leave the Republic, and fights off the Emperor's "special forces" infiltrating the Republic.

I didn't play the Knight story, but I wouldn't call these minor errands either...:)

Edited by Slopback

Sentinel is an awkward class to play with an amazing storyline. Seriously, you do feel like the main character.

Consular is a more fun and dynamic character to play, mechanics wise, but I've found their story to be dull (with moments of cool).

Thing thing about Sentinels, any perhaps this is true of other classes later on, is that you've got a really dull rotatation. This is primarily due to the fact that you start with nothing (no Focus or Centering) but you build as you fight. Thus you need to start every fight with A, B, C and then you can go from there.

The Knight storyline, however, would allow you to become a Guardian. As I understand it, this is the slightly better of the two, requiring slightly less nit-picking than the Sentinel requires but you will take a slight DPS hit.

Jedi Knight (Sentinel) have THE story in the game. Some people like it, some don't. But from all 8 stories, this one is the one that has the largest influence at the overall game universe and story.

This.

I would also recommend a Jedi Knight Sentinel with ease.

Sentinels and Marauders are currently a garbage tier class. Go Shadow for the pure fact that it's just a better class than the Sentinel.

Not true at all. What this should say is that the Sentinel/Marauders highest DPS build is a very difficult one to master for reasons stated in this thread already. You need to build focus and then tailor your rotation based on the fight and/or interrupts. If you can stay calm in a fight and master the rotations, this class can stand toe to toe with all the other classes.

Not true at all. What this should say is that the Sentinel/Marauders highest DPS build is a very difficult one to master for reasons stated in this thread already. You need to build focus and then tailor your rotation based on the fight and/or interrupts. If you can stay calm in a fight and master the rotations, this class can stand toe to toe with all the other classes.

From a PvE standpoint, I often notice that Sentinels are usually the ones that die the quickest when a high powered enemy fights a group.

The ability to dish out a lot of damage is totally worthless if you can't even survive long enough to dish it out.

From a PvE standpoint, I often notice that Sentinels are usually the ones that die the quickest when a high powered enemy fights a group.

The ability to dish out a lot of damage is totally worthless if you can't even survive long enough to dish it out.

Doesn't make much sense considering all the damage mitigation they have. I'm wondering if it's a case of too much DPS and pulling threat from the tank. Once Sentinels get the burns going, they crank out some pretty good damage.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.