simple: Ability to name your ship

Corvairnut

I know many people probably don't care about this, but I bet lots of RP oriented players would love it.

Simply give us the ability to name our ship. The name could simply dislplay above the minimap in place of the generic "D-5 Mantis" or whatever.

A tiny change that I think would take almost nothing to Implement and make many of us happy =)

Please reply if you'd like to see this added to give this thread some visibility!

I love this idea.

I would want the ship's name to actually render as a decal on the ship though.

I would name my trusty BT-7 the STAR PIG.

And I would go "Awwwwwwwwwww!" every time I ran into the hangar and saw my ship with STAR PIG running along its length. :D

Great idea. To those saying XS Freighter etc. is the zone name and can't be changed, I think what we're asking for is - if zone name = (one of the 8 ship types) then show "The Golden Hind" (XS Freighter).

Alongside this I would add the options to customise the interior or exterior or preferably both.

For those who have raised valid points:

If substituting a personalized name for the "zone" name is problematic from a programming standpoint perhaps they could just add the name display separate from the "zone" field. I'm sure a simple way to add this could be figured out.

My only request for "immediate implementation" is to be able to assign the ship a name and have it display on screen for anyone who is on board that particular ship. I think this could be done with minimal investment of resources and time.

As for customizing the interiors and a name decal on the ship, I would love those features and hope for them eventually but that stuff would take a lot more time and effort and I'm certain that couldn't be made a priority at this point in time.

I think the player ship is a really exciting feature that should definitely be expanded upon later on... but I try to keep my suggestions realistic and not too overzealous. I see the player ship as a perfect way to implement a form of "player housing", and perhaps as many have said there could be large guild ships as well to serve as a guild hall.

Incidentally, there are only 6 ship types, not 8. The two Sith classes share a ship and the two Jedi classes share a ship.

Edited by Corvairnut

You can visit and even travel on group members ships =)

So for right now it'd just be the satisfaction of being able to name it, and also be very beneficial to those who RP.

I'm surprised to have found RP is quite popular on the Imperial side of my RP-PVP server, seems to not be so well received on the republic side.