I present to you: Railshot spec

Jabbb

Alternate title: **** Thermal detonator.

8 6 27.

Why give up the juicy goodness that is thermal detonator. Simple thermal detonator requires 2 points to be 'wasted' in none damage increasing abilities, arguably burnout isn't that great either.

This spec gives pure damage modifiers on fire and railshot, including a 90% reduction in armour on railshot, Prototype cylinders (3% crit) and major fire dmg and crit increases. Railshot hits as hard as 4.5k for me in 400 resil not great gear, and I'm topping the dmg meters in almost every warzone I enter.

An alternative build: MOAR DOTS

5 11 25

gives retractable blade in place of thermal detonator but loses the 9% aim, this spec is better for pve when the dots matter but I'm not sure it's worth the 9% aim. Give 8 6 27 or 5 11 25 a try and see if you like it, you're a little less rangey but your damage is much higher and your heat is less of a problem as well.

The first time I bursted someone down to 2.5k HP, dropped a Thermal Detonator in his face, then turned to his friend and beat his ***, just as the TD blew up and they both died at the same time, I was hooked on Thermal Detonator. It's so lulz. :D

Retractable Blade gives roughly the same damage per heat than a non-critting Thermal Detonator, only it does it over time rather than instantly (bad). You also lose your chance to stack a 3-4k TD crit (which is far more valuable than RB) landing at the exact time a 3-4k RS crits for insane burst damage.

To get the most bang for your buck with RS you want it to hit exactly as a TD is going off. You sort of need TD to do that. The former build would increase RS damage very slightly (an extra 100-140ish Aim is not that much added damage to RS, you can grab that with a rakata stim) at the cost of negating massive burst potential, the latter build doesn't even increase RS damage.

Edited by Mhak