Our pvp sets are horrid!

Mamifx

I suppose all that power and accuracy are good for marksman but I play lethality!

gimmie some surge and crit!

I was looking thru the battlemaster gear and not ONE piece of the set has a crit/surge enhancement. I find it sad that I am going to have to buy Champion Field tec headgear with my champion marks just to pull the enhancement out.

I realize that you cant make everyone happy with the sets but isant that the point of the mods? Make at least one piece of the battlemaster gear have a crit/surge mods/enhancements so eventually in the distant far far far far far far far far far far far far future I can buy extra pieces to get the mods i want.

I should not have to downgrade a pvp tier to get the stats i desire.

Keep up the good work bioware.

You do realize you don't HAVE to use PvP gear in PvP right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Expertise is a combo stat. It reduces damage, increases damage and increases healing done. I'm also reading from the higher-end PvPers that it caps at 10-15%

I personally am going to be using PvE gear when I hit 50 since it has more crit/surge and cunning/power. Less endurance but that's not an issue to me playing a glass cannon AC. Right now my issue is deciding between full mastercraft gear (very, VERY hard to find with the stats I want) or just modding

If I find some modders that I can commission I'll go that route. Alacrity is useless for me

[Edit] Also, I know you want surge/crit but I think the stats suffer from diminishing returns. If you're not familiar with what this is it means that as your number gets higher each point of that score is worth a smaller percentage of the effect. 700 crit and 300 power may very well be better than 1000 crit and 0 power, for example

Edited by Mazikeen

Did some serious number crunching in the past on stats and here are some things to note that I came up with doing that:

• For average DPS Power/Cunning are usually better than surge/crit
  • Surge has quite rough diminishing returns which generates something like a "soft cap" at 80% crit damage (around 230-250 surge)
  • Surge hard caps at 100% crit damage (around 1150 surge if you round to full digits)
  • The diminishing returns on surge are so strong that there is even a point where power/cunning not only increases dps more than surge but also crit damage (this is at about 600 surge, going higher than that in surge over power or cunning gives you NO benefit at all).
  • Crit rating also suffers from diminishing returns and should not be raised higher than ~400 before you get seriously high power/cunning (seriously high is around 1700)
  • In terms of pure damage basically all offensive stats outperform Expertise

As far as crit rating/accuracy goes the Battlemaster set is pretty much ideal as it puts you at around 100% hit chance from accuracy and at around 400 crit rating where rough diminishing returns start to kick in anyway.

The only stat the set is really lacks is surge. But as stated earlier ~230 surge is usually enough. You can get 102 surge by using battlemaster implants. So in the end you are only lacking about 120 surge.

To get that last points of surge you can do what you've already done or what the previous poster suggested, use lower level gear or get similar level pve/crafted gear. Even if you go without that 120 surge its not THAT big of a hit, especially if you use the surge adrenal for bursts.

Just as an example, with 120 surge your crit damage is 166,88%. With the adrenal you're at 191,95% (15% increase by adrenal).

If you had 230 surge your crit damage would be 180,26%. Withe the adrenal you're at 196,80% (9% increase by adrenal)

If you had 700 surge, which you would reach if you could replace all power/accuracy with surge your crit damage would be 197,04% and adrenal would put it at 199,52% (1% increase by adrenal).

So the 580 surge going from 120 to 700 increase your crit damage by ~19%. In comparison (from my damage calculation spreadsheet), an additional 580 power would increase ALL your damage (including crits) by around 23%.

I realize power and cunning are better for pure damage but I am talking lethality pvp. Accuracy is not as important since the majority of your damage is based on tec damage and your base tec accuracy is higher. Also with the high number of avaliable targets you want the crit to help your energy sustain from dot crits.

I am at a good place on surge but I would love some crit/power gear.

Edited by Mamifx

I realize power and cunning are better for pure damage but I am talking lethality pvp. Accuracy is not as important since the majority of your damage is based on tec damage and your base tec accuracy is higher

I'm pretty sure higher accuracy always helps. They seem to have designed so that, unlike WoW, the stat is not useless after your each the minimal cap

I personally do not like having gear that gives a bonus to one situation (PvP) and not in others (PvE). I'd rather go with straight PvE gear that can be used in both situations and is arguable more powerful in PvP than PvP gear

I'm pretty sure higher accuracy always helps.

Unfortunately that's not true.

Operative melee attacks are Tech attacks, which have a base Accuracy of 100% and can't be defended against. Which means any accuracy rating goes to waste since you will hit and there's no dodge/parry chance to reduce.

Only weapon attacks can be dodged/parried, or proc shields, and Operatives have very few of those.

Snipers have far more, and may want to stack some accuracy rating, however.

Itemization is not the only issue with our sets. At least for the healer set the set bonuses are a joke. 15% more healing for the terrible AoE heal that many PvP healer specs do not even include? Oh Boy! 5 more energy? Where do I sign up!?!?!

Unfortunately that's not true.

Operative melee attacks are Tech attacks, which have a base Accuracy of 100% and can't be defended against. Which means any accuracy rating goes to waste since you will hit and there's no dodge/parry chance to reduce.

Only weapon attacks can be dodged/parried, or proc shields, and Operatives have very few of those.

Snipers have far more, and may want to stack some accuracy rating, however.

Accuracy past 100% gives armor penetration.

[Edit] My mistake, it does not. It decreases your target's defense. I still sometimes confuse defense and armor since they are the same thing in some games. Would sure be nice if it did though.

Edited by BlindRapture

Accuracy past 100% gives armor penetration.

What?

I've only ever heard of it reducing chance to dodge/parry (i.e. Defense), never that it grants armor penetration.

Do you have any source on this, perhaps some statistics?

Not that I disbelieve you, mind, it's just that if this is so it'd require some new theory-crafting on my own end.

Itemization is not the only issue with our sets. At least for the healer set the set bonuses are a joke. 15% more healing for the terrible AoE heal that many PvP healer specs do not even include? Oh Boy! 5 more energy? Where do I sign up!?!?!

Yeah the set bonuses feel like placeholders to me. So poorly itemized gear for all operative specs with a poor set-bonus. Just have to get the Champion head/glove (or even better if you PVE the columni helm/gloves with Power/surge enhancements) pieces, and hope they change the itemization and set-bonuses for the next tier of gear.

Edited by Bnol