Advanced Class Respec

Thargrim

Im sure this has been mentioned hundreds of times, and I was kind of against the idea of respeccing advanced class before the game launched. Now having played up to lvl 50 and messing around in game for a while, I feel that I actually do want to respec. And that I may not actually be at my best in game, because I picked Powertech for two cool abilities, grapple and jet jump. While I notice in game, im actually fighting at range, when a PT should be in melee range fighting. I think naturally, if im playing a class with ranged abilities, I keep my distance. I think now, after playing PT for a while, I may be better suited for Mercenary.

Seeing as how I have no desire to replay the whole class story, and repetitive side quests...rerolling isnt much an option. Rolling two chars of the same class just isnt a viable option for me.

A) This topic is alive and well in MANY threads. Add to those, you don't need your own.

B) It IS an option to reroll, you just don't want to. Doesn't take away the option.

C) Research your advanced classes more.

D) Reroll on Republic side and play the mirror AC. New story.

A) This topic is alive and well in MANY threads. Add to those, you don't need your own.

B) It IS an option to reroll, you just don't want to. Doesn't take away the option.

C) Research your advanced classes more.

D) Reroll on Republic side and play the mirror AC. New story.

Regardless of your opinions, I have a guild on the Empire side that I am very happy with..rerolling the other faction just pushes me away from them. I did research my advanced classes, however things do get stale after a while and being able to respec advanced classes is like a basic MMO feature. I remember in SWG you could entirely pay to switch your class. SWTOR may be nothing like SWG, but the need for Adv class respec is there.

Regardless of your opinions, I have a guild on the Empire side that I am very happy with..rerolling the other faction just pushes me away from them. I did research my advanced classes, however things do get stale after a while and being able to respec advanced classes is like a basic MMO feature. I remember in SWG you could entirely pay to switch your class. SWTOR may be nothing like SWG, but the need for Adv class respec is there.

The "need" isn't there at all. The "want" might be. Its not a basic feature. One of the industry standard MMOs right now doesn't offer it so there's your benchmark. Doesn't mean everything in SWTOR should be like that game, but its a decent jumping off point to see if things should or shouldn't be around.

Both specs play markedly different, regardless of story. Part of leveling is learning how to play your spec one skill at a time. If you don't want to, then that's too bad for you.

• 4 months later...

BW, please please please oh pretty please allow advanced class respec. People who don't want to respec don't have to, but those of us who want to should be given the option. I don't want to go all the way back to starting over, and I want to keep the same character name. I just want to respec my advanced class.

Thank you.

Some people struggle with playing the specs they chose, these are the people I don't want to see tanking or healing, Please stick to your guns bioware on this one!!!

Why should I have to do what YOU want? Why can't I do what I want?

Advanced class respec for all!

I'm all for respecing advanced classes. I made a Jedi Knight and specced Guardian for DPS. After playing it for a bit I was like wow this isn't fun at all! I should have gone Sentinel! Having to endure the few hours it takes on the starting planet, plus the capital planet (since you don't really get a good feel for any class until about that time, at least for me). That sucks. Am I going to be mad if they don't implement it? No. I've pretty much played all the advanced classes now so it doesn't really matter for me, but it can matter for new players.

Also in SWG you could change to whatever you wanted be it a dancer, Fencer,armorsmith,doctor, etc all you had to do is relevel up in that profession. Thats the way it should be.

Money shouldnt be able to buy you anything you want. Relevel another character to what you want now because once you get advance class repects the next thing will be I dont like it either and want to be able to shoot lightning out of my hands and use a lightsaber.

There is no need for Adv class repects, the only reason people want them is because they were lazy and didnt read up on thier class before the guy with the voice over that no one space bars through said it would be perminant so make your choice wisely.

Also in SWG you could change to whatever you wanted be it a dancer, Fencer,armorsmith,doctor, etc all you had to do is relevel up in that profession. Thats the way it should be.

Money shouldnt be able to buy you anything you want. Relevel another character to what you want now because once you get advance class repects the next thing will be I dont like it either and want to be able to shoot lightning out of my hands and use a lightsaber.

There is no need for Adv class repects, the only reason people want them is because they were lazy and didnt read up on thier class before the guy with the voice over that no one space bars through said it would be perminant so make your choice wisely.

Reading a one sentence description, and playing it for hours on end are two completely different things.

Seems that worked out really well for the game, huh. Joking aside, stand firm on this one Bioware. Allowing people to completely change their class is silly. If I wanted to play a Mage as an inquisitor I would've selected it when I had the option at level 10.

There is EVERY need for advanced class respecs. If you don't want them, don't use them, but you have ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT to dictate whether OTHER PEOPLE can or can't have them. The "laziness" argument is crap; the reality is that you cannot truly understand a class until you have played them to several levels.

BTW, you misspelled "respec". Why was that? Laziness...?

I agree, we need advanced class respec, because I rolled an assassin when I started the game, I though I could just reroll later, because I didnt see my self lvling without stealth! but then when I actually cared about reading ****, I saw that I couldnt respec, and by the time I read that I was already level 30, and I didnt wanna reroll! So, Im tired off the ONE fun spec as an assassin, I wanna be a sorc healer. So please, do something about this. Maybe a FREE option to change Advanced class, but a Cooldown on... 3 - 6 months? Most people wanna try everything with their class, including me.:rak_01:

• 2 weeks later...

I'd concur that this needs to be in game, the way we play our alts and such can have an impact. I happened to have a Sorcerer before I had a Sage, I had fun with the Sage and don't want an Empire equivalent. I'd like to have both sides of the Advanced Class feel but am stuck with a Sorcerer. It wouldn't be an issue except crew skills were leveled high and I had spent a million credits on a white crystal (a few months back). I don't play daily, the time to play is more casual so the idea of going back through all of it again and also losing out on the million on the crystal I spent doesn't sit well.

It's not laziness, it's a change in how things happened, to have the ability to change your Advanced Class shouldn't be frowned upon.

Advanced Class Respect +1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a common argument concerning the issue of advanced classes: "other games don't let you go from warrior to mage, so swtor should not allow people to change their advanced class."

This argument, fails to take into consideration the nature of SWTORs class system and how fundamentally different it is from those other games. SWTOR has a base class system that splits into different advanced classes at level 10. WoW, on the other hand, forces the player into a class that will be the same from lvl 10 to cap. While this has been criticized it actually allows the player to make decisions concerning play-style and roles faster and more efficiently.

Conversely, SWTOR has you play through a fundamental class arbitrarily for 10 levels. This is why there are no flashpoints until lvl 10. In some cases, these first 10 levels have absolutely no relevance to the eventual switch being made at lvl 10 when choosing an advanced class. For instance, the Inquisitor base class plays nothing like the assassin. So, once you choose assassin and play it for the first time at lvl 10 you are screwed. I though some portion of the base style and function of the Inquisitor would be retained in the assassin build but it really wasn't.

Had I known that I wasn't going to enjoy the assassin at lvl 10-15 then I would have promptly switched to sorcerer and leveled to 10 to try it out beyond lvl 10. However, as many of us can probably agree, stopping to lvl a new character while your friends are blasting through levels each day is a major setback should you want to get capped and engage in endgame material.

While this system was intended to provide choice, it actually restricts choice. In reality, there are 16 classes in the game. Why not just have these 16 classes available at lvl 1 , have their play-style accurately represented from the start, and allow players to get to know them faster rather than delaying the most important choice a player has to make about his/her character?

I think that while this system was implemented with good intentions, it has proven to be ineffective for many and should be revisited in the near future. I, for one, would much rather play a sorcerer than an assassin. I would love to see an option to change advanced classes. As is, my 50 assassin is just sitting there and it will probably be difficult for me to maintain a high level of interest in the game. My friends have all quit the game, I have come back for a month to test the 1.3 patch. I will probably move on to something else though as it seems that this game is having difficulty in meeting the most basic of needs.

I really do not understand the argument against advanced class respec. There is no good argument that has convinced me that this should not be in the game. It is, quite simply, a matter of retaining subscriptions--people who are stuck with a character they do not like (because the game design did not allow them to make this determination early on) will quit the game, losing the company money and having a negative effect on server population in the long run.

Also, lets get something straight (as I fear we have forgotten the true meaning of the term "accomplishment" in this debate). I would like to suggest that the "lazy" people are the one's who play this game waaaaay too much and are willing to level an assassin and a sorcerer, not the people who have out-of-game obligations and do not have the time to sit at a computer all day and level characters with no real-world consequences. It is the fact that I am fundamentally NOT lazy that I want the choice to change my advanced class!!! I enjoy the game. But I also want choices. And this particular choice would hurt no one (except of course those who think that their time spent in an MMO is some kind of worthy accomplishment)

I am PAYING to play a game. More importantly, I am PAYING for a service. Why should I not expect choice!?!

There is another possibility: blur the lines some more, and allow us to pick and choose the skills we want for our characters. For example, I like the Force Leap of the Jedi Knights, but I also like the force blasts of the Consular class. So why can't I choose to have both from a range of possible skills? And why not allow us to choose our weapons styles regardless of our class; in the Clone Wars, Kit Fisto is a Jedi Consular, but wields two lightsabers on occasion, like a Jedi Sentinel in SWTOR. So why not allow Knights to use a double-bladed lightsaber, or Guardians to dual-wield? As the system stands, it feels very arbitrary to me.

Another point: why can't I call all my characters the same name? Forrest Gump named every boat in his fishing fleet the "Jenny"!

• 5 months later...
I want it so bad too! not all of us can stand the pain of re completing the WHOLE class story again nor have the actual flexbility with work etc. but i think pick and hcoosing abilities is a few steps too far and would just be pointless in choosing a class in the first place, they said it would be allowed before they released it, but as usual they changed their minds.

The sooner the better for this option. allowing me to change will keep me playing, Rerolling will make me stop playing.

I totally agree on the option to switch advanced class, as I've said several times before.

HOWEVER, I think it should be a rather expensive Cartel Market item (>2k CC or so) and with some sort of cooldown, i.e. no going back-and-forth on a daily basis, it's supposed to fix things for players who are really unhappy with their advanced class after playing it for some time.

I totally agree on the option to switch advanced class, as I've said several times before.

HOWEVER, I think it should be a rather expensive Cartel Market item (>2k CC or so) and with some sort of cooldown, i.e. no going back-and-forth on a daily basis, it's supposed to fix things for players who are really unhappy with their advanced class after playing it for some time.

A Cartel Market thing? Really?... Thats just crazy

Anyway, to all who want AC respecs I ask you why. Is it because you dont like the class? It took me till level 17 or something to figure out I didnt like the Shadow class so I rerolled a Sorc on the Imp side. Time lost? Aprox. 6 hours if that. Even if it takes longer it sure as hell isnt going to take you to 50 before you think "Hmmm maybe this isnt for me.."

Because you're bored? As a sub you have 12 slots... 12! You can make anything you want! I have 2 Sentinels because I simply love the class and I deleted all but 1 of my Troopers because I hate every single of those AC classes.

The choice is out there, dont force BioWare into a decision like this based on your own laziness and inability to get to know a class

A Cartel Market thing? Really?... Thats just crazy

Anyway, to all who want AC respecs I ask you why. Is it because you dont like the class? It took me till level 17 or something to figure out I didnt like the Shadow class so I rerolled a Sorc on the Imp side. Time lost? Aprox. 6 hours if that.

I rolled a Sentinel. It was fun to level. Never had issues finding groups as i was leveling but now at lvl 50 it is very hard to get and I would like to switch to guardian. I already know how to play a tank and had i known that it would be as hard as it is to get groups i might have made a Guardian in the beginning. Rerolling isn't a real option. I have spent time doing companion quests, getting titles, farming credits, and my Sent has my Legacy. Allowing me to change will allow me to continue to play this character not allowing it keeps me from playing

The one thing about this that i really dont understand is why other people are against me changing my mind. It will have no impact on you at all and no one is saying you have to use the respec for yoursel

Edited by Fergz

The one thing about this that i really dont understand is why other people are against me changing my mind. It will have no impact on you at all and no one is saying you have to use the respec for yoursel

I don't get it either... It's not like anyone would force people to use it...

My main is a Sentinel, too by the way - was since I started - and I'm actually very happy with it because I do 90% PvP and it's an amazing class for that. So personally I don't even want to switch my AC, but I realize that there are people out there who are desperate for it and I think there should be an option to do it... for a price though... in Cartel Coins.