Healers in PVE servers are harrasing us.

Leilei

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't even PvP much but it seems there are only two logical solutions to this:

1. Make anyone who heals an NPC being attacked by the other faction be flagged for PvP

or

2. Do not allow healing or buffing of NPC's.

That's about it, otherwise you allow other players to grief without reprucussions.

I remember when I was first looking at this game, I announced that I wouldn't be interested if it forced PvP play on everyone. I had enough trouble with its MMO nature, due to the known history of MMOs to be a magnet for immature people who got their chuckles by griefing, and I expressed concern that PvP would further entice and legitimize their actions (in their minds at least). I was shouted down by a host of people claiming that griefers were rare and that there was no connection between the PvP community and griefers.

Threads like this illustrate my point.

It's not that PvP is the problem. I know this is just a minority of PvP players (or quasi-PvP players in this case), but looking at the reactions in here just reinforces my desire to stay away from PvP servers.

I want to play on the PvP servers, but it's just not worth it. The community as a whole just isn't mature enough to police itself. Until it is, I'll stick to the PvE servers where I can submit bug requests to stop the sort of behavior that a community of people who actually cared about the game would at least properly condemn.

Sure, I know its biased and somewhat unfair, but issues like this just continue to show me that the "hardcore" players just aren't mature.

The mechanic should be changed so it can't be done.

Mechanic should be changed definitely and I would prefer people being flagged PvP for healing NPCs in combat for Ilum. We still need the option to heal them if we ever get to the point fo player invasions like Rift!

I know, and I'm a fanboy, but this really makes zero sense.

It makes a lot of sense.

What he is saying is people who are griefed into accidentally hitting another player with an AOE while having no intention of engaging in PvP of any kind are forced into PvP mode.

BUT...

Players who actively engage in an activity to knowingly grief/RP/(whatever tag you want to place on it) someone who is PvPing, are NOT flagged for PvP.

It makes a lot of sense.

What he is saying is people who are griefed into accidentally hitting another player with an AOE while having no intention of engaging in PvP of any kind are forced into PvP mode.

BUT...

Players who actively engage in an activity to knowingly grief/RP/(whatever tag you want to place on it) someone who is PvPing, are NOT flagged for PvP.

I know I was agreeing with him, I have have personally sounded off about the AoE flagging in several threads as well as the Suggestion box. It makes no sense that AoE is flagging inadvertently and healing is not, perhaps I should have worded it better.

Edited by HanoverFist

okay at the begining of this thread it said they were on a PVE server, so flagging someone for pvp on a pve server won't work... goes against the mechanics of the

server so give up on that idea.... besides you aren't asking to fix it so they can't heal NPCs in combat you're asking for them to be flagged so your group can kill them.... hmmmm sounds like you just want action at PvP to me ( mixed with a little hate/revenge thing )... I say quit whinning in the forums and do like everyone else with

a in-game problem and submit a ticket....jeeez.

It is not against the mechanics by ay stretch of the imagination. If you heal or buff a player that is PvP flagged, even if they are not currently involved in a PvP related action, you will become PvP flagged yourself. It is quite common in games, even on a PvE server, that if you take an action that is considered a PvP related, even if there is not another player invovled, you can be flagged for PvP. E.g., On PvE servers in Rift and other games, if you attack certain enemy NPCs (e.g., guard NPCs at an Enemy base), you will be flagged for PvP even though there is no other player involved. In fact, in Rift, you actually have to set an option that will prevent you from being able to take a PvP related action to keep from being flagged. It is allowable by default.

If you heal an NPC that another player is attacking, you are making so that the player will have a harder time killing the NPC. If it is a difficult NPC to kill to start with, that could mean that the player attacking the NPC could get killed as a result of your actions. As such, you are engaged an intentional PvP action. The fact that you are hiding behind an NPC to do it does not change that. If a player can be flagged for buffing his group simply because one of the players in the group got PvP flagged and even though there are no enemy players in the zone, then engaging in an intentional act that could get an enemy player killled should certainly qualify as a flaggable offense completely within the rules set of a PvE server.

No, it is not a desire to get involved in "action at PvP." It is not even about revenge, really. It is about people exploiting the lack of consequences for taking a PvP action. It is a fairly simple to understand concept. They are taking a PvP action; therefore, they should be flagged. The fact that they are not doing it directly is irrelevant. They should still be reported for griefing, but they should also have to weigh the consequences. Even if that player chooses to not engage, the offender is now flagged and able to be attacked by anyone who chooses to go after them. Some people will still do it, sure. But griefers are rarely interested in facing the consequences of their actions, so the chances of it happening will drop dramatically if they suddenly are faced with real consequences.

Edited by Sotaudi

I find it amazing that this issue exists...

I find it amazing that someone would complain about this.

Healers were healing the Republic base turrets one Illum when 1.1 went live. It ruined the Inside the Republic Base farming experience for many Imperials.

Oh wait, wrong issue. :cool:

This is taking place on Ilum? Im not 50 yet but I always assumed when you go to Ilum your auto flagged for PvP. If thats not true, thats the only change that needs to be made.

Not only in Illum. It happens earlier too like in Quesh. Basically Imperials -> can heal imperial npcs. And Republics -> can heal republic npcs. So anywhere where there are imperial npcs being fought, this can happen.

No I am not PVPing the enemies. The imperial is pvping me by healing my enemies.

Edited by Leilei

I know I was agreeing with him, I have have personally sounded off about the AoE flagging in several threads as well as the Suggestion box. It makes no sense that AoE is flagging inadvertently and healing is not, perhaps I should have worded it better.

My bad, limitations of reading on forums. I thought you meant HE made no sense. :o

So what about when I join a group with a person for a heroic and then realize after I heal that person, that I am now flagged for PvP since they were flagged for PvP.

I would say that the whole healing a combatant thing should flag the healer for the combat situation that the NPC or PC is currently engaged in. In this case it is PvP.

Why should they get flagged for pvp?

Are you saying you are pvp'ing the NPCs?

Because they are PvPing.

They are healing damage done by a player of the other faction. Competing against the actions of the player of the other faction.

Why should they get flagged for pvp?

Are you saying you are pvp'ing the NPCs?

Healing an NPC that another player is fighting is functionally no different than healing another player fighting that same person. In both cases, you are not directly attacking the enemy player, you are simply making it more difficult for him to fight what he is fighting. Yet, if you heal a player fighting another player, you will be flagged for PvP yourself.

Conversely, even if there are no enemy players on the same planet, let alone the same zone, if you heal a PvP flagged player engaged in PvE (or even if he is doing nothing at all), you will become PvP flagged yourself. If healing a PvP flagged player who is not engaged in PvP will flag you for PvP, why should taking direct action that could get an enemy player killed not be flagged simply because you are healing an NPC he is fighting?

Either way, the "pvping the NPC" characterization is disingenous. The person attacking the NPC is PvE'ing because his action does not affect an enemy player in any way. On the other hand, the NPC is fighting the player. By healing the NPC, you are aiding in a fight vs. another player, which is, by definition, a player vs. player action.

Stop being dense. Healing the NPC is no different than you healing another player while they are engaged in PvP combat.

Except that an npc is a mindless AI automaton. It is incapable of a) chasing the attacker down beyond a certain distance, b) reacting dynamically to a fight, c) doing ANYTHING ELSE that a player could do.