"LFD will destroy the server community"

Griminal

Would anyone mind explaining to me what this statement actually means? I've gone over it time and time again and the only conclusion I can come to based on the people who use it but never explain what it means(and my time spent in game), is that server community doesn't actually mean anything other than the people who are playing on the server.

This is obviously in regard to the cross server dungeon finder so many people seem to mindlessly be against.

I have two level 50s and a lot of experience in other mmos, and I can tell you right now I still can't figure out what this baseless term actually means. I see no difference between the community on my server than I've seen in any mmo I've played, with and without a dungeon finder.

I've heard the argument that people don't like them because all you have to do is sit in your capital city or town and you can be ported everywhere without actually having to go anywhere or do anything. To the people who say this, I ask you to use your brain for a minute and try to think critically.

In a game with no cross server LFD, if I want to find a group, I have to go where the most people are at any given time that are within the range of the content I want to form a group for. If I'm level 50, this means I sit in the Fleet. What I do after that point is spam general chat for god knows how long hoping I actually find a group. What this ends up boiling down to, is exactly what people complain the LFD will do to the community. I sit in one place, form a group, and then still stay in the fleet since 90% of the dungeons in the game are on the fleet. So basically I might as well be sitting around in the fleet waiting to get ported to an instance. There is no difference between these two methods except the fact that I have to go through the annoying time consuming process for finding a group.

Now lets see if there was a cross server LFD. Instead of being forced to sit in the fleet and look for a group, I could que for a dungeon and go out and do other things the game has to offer. Do I want to farm some materials for crafting? Do I want to do a bit of world PvP? Perhaps I need to get my daily quests done. The LFD tool gives me the ability to actually do these things while looking for a group at the same time. The current system takes all of this away and forces me to sit in the fleet for hours to find a group for something.

So I'll ask again, what do you actually mean when you say it will destroy the server community? Because I can't see any validity to this statement at all.

There have been like a billion threads on this... you may want to search for "LFD" or maybe "LFD community." I doubt anyone's going to explain it differently than it's already been explained literally hundreds of times already.

And you've already described the position as "mindless" and invalid, so I'm guessing you weren't really looking for an answer anyway, since you've already written off the opinion of people who hold it as worthless to you.

So, either search or come back when you're looking to hold a discussion, and not just bash people who don't see it the way you do.

Edited by Pink_Saber

it seems people think by spamming general chat with , LFG Healer for this , LFG Tank , LFG Tank , spamming same copy pasted message is conciddered being social lol :s

not going to say much more about it sins its useless and people defending this topic ... those that dont want LFD will make same excuses anyways

i do agree to the point ... crossserver LFD .... it ruined LFD in wow , wehn they made it cross server .. same for pvp battlegrounds ... also why it ruined it .. couse allot of people comming from a server your not on , just dont speak at all , ninja gear just becouse they can get away with .. yeh you can kick and look for another , but not being crossserver reduces this sins eventualy you will get to know more pople on your server

generaly allot of people that join from crossserver are not tere to be social tere there to get loot fast without being social to any point , even if its the way before a boss stratgizing with your party .. now this can be different for everyone , some one can even claim this never happened ones before them , but the 8 years i played wow i had this for 80 % of times sins they made everything crossserver

also allot of times poepl who need 1 particulair piece of gear will just leave the group if they gotten it of the secon boss leaving the rest of group to rot in tere ...

if this were all people from the same server it would happen less cosue they could build up a bad reputation ..

iv had this so many tiems its not even funny , and specialy if healer or tank does this wich was mostly the deal .. we sitting aroudn waiting in the dungeon for a replacement again for some time ..

but i know right OP .. i get you .. moslty :s

Edited by Genesizs

cross server lfd is what ruins the community, anyone who thinks it ruins the community on a server doesnt get it. spamming chat for a half hour LFG isnt being social lol. You just cant spin that any other way.

Im all for one on the server, id much rather queu up and be wherever i want than sitting in the fleet spamming general for a half hour to an hour...

Simple as this: because you can find a group and do an entire dungeon/flashpoint without saying a single word. Not only CAN you, but many people DO. Hence, no communication, hence, no community. Not to mention, the people you do dungeons with you will most likely never see again. Back in the days before LFD in WoW, dungeons were the main tool for getting to know people and seeing their character (not avatar) firsthand.

There have been like a billion threads on this... you may want to search for "LFD" or maybe LFD community." I doubt anyone's going to explain it differently than it's already been explained literally hundreds of times already.

And you've already described the position as "mindless" and invalid, so I'm guessing you weren't really looking for an answer anyway, since you've already written off the opinion of people who hold it as worthless to you.

So, either search or come back when you're looking to hold a discussion, and not just bash people who don't see it the way you do.

Like I said, I've read many of those threads. This is why I'm asking the question. I never actually see anyone explain what this phrase actually means. All I ever see is things along the lines of " lfd is a horrible idea, it destroys server communities"

No one ever explains exactly HOW it destroys server communities. I've tried to figure it out and the conclusion I've come to is that it's simply a baseless statement, but I want to know what people actually mean when they use this statement. So far I haven't seen anyone explain what it actually means.

Simple as this: because you can find a group and do an entire dungeon/flashpoint without saying a single word. Not only CAN you, but many people DO. Hence, no communication, hence, no community. Not to mention, the people you do dungeons with you will most likely never see again. Back in the days before LFD in WoW, dungeons were the main tool for getting to know people and seeing their character (not avatar) firsthand.

This doesn't make any sense. I've formed groups in this game where the only words spoken were the words I used when forming the groups. I've done entire runs where no one said a word in the instance. I've done other runs where people were chatty. I've done runs where people didn't know what to do and we communicated how to do the fight.

Guess what?

I've done all these things as well in mmos that have a cross server lfd.