The ''orange'' and mods are an example of a great improvement over WoW

Angedechu

Seriously, so many people blast TOR, that I think I must say something about this.

The idea of mods is brillliant. Not only you don't have to hunt greens and blues, but you can keep upgrading your gear with guaranteed results as you level. if you find a armor that you like, you can even transfer your mod on it.

Plus, you can make your light armor wearing character wear totally adequate outfits for cold climates like Hoth. I mean, what is a Star Wars game if you can't make female characters wear the most infamous outfit ever ?

Edited by Angedechu

I'd rather have an appearance tab instead.

One orange gear = 3 more equipment slots to micro manage.

Though this is true too. Maybe a "style" tab. Every item you get unlocks it's "style" which means you can change yourself to look like that even if you're not wearing that item.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the things TOR introduced that are original are great. They are the best parts of the game.

Being able to control how you look...GENIUS.

I wish they focused more on this stuff.

Being able to make your toons wear a certain costume is awesome tooo...

Seriously, so many people blast TOR, that I think I must say something about this.

The idea of mods is brillliant. Not only you don't have to hunt greens and blues, but you can keep upgrading your gear with guaranteed results as you level. if you find a armor that you like, you can even transfer your mod on it.

Plus, you can make your light armor wearing character wear totally adequate outfits for cold climates like Hoth. I mean, what is a Star Wars game if you can't make female characters wear the most infamous outfit ever ?

With the current transmog system in WoW (effectively an appearance tab), the only valid improvement you mention would be the guarantee upgrade as you level bit. But really, does anyone have trouble staying geared while they level in MMOs nowadays? The only trouble gearing is at end level and then it is no different here, run flashpoints for drops (armor or mods) and spend tokens on armor/mods from the vendor.

The mod system is interesting in theory, but seems more of a cash sink for those who want to customize their appearance than anything else.

this isn't new, and I would argue the implementation in ToR is actually worse than in other games. an appearance tab would be much better.

Well actually I agree with that after I was introduced to the concept. However ever since I had to run around with green overalls and a purple top as my warlock in WoW I am greatly appreciative of the ability to control how you look.

I just wish there was an easier way to switch augments over from one item to another. I'm one of those people who spend about a half hour making their character and have probably wasted over 100,000 credits swapping mods back and forth to try to get a look that I like.

I think the mod system is nice too...

However, like most other features in this game, it was poorly thought out and executed.

The fact all the social gear is light armor and you can't put end game mods in them for starters.

Also, the fact most of the armor looks the same while all the more original appearances are on the LIGHT ARMOR social gear...

Once again, great idea. Bad implementation.

Edited by Tiaa

Like BoAs.

But like BoAs, they are good for starting. You have to get some gear to start heroic...

Like BOA's? Hardly. They're sort of the opposite.

With BOA's, everyone leveling up ends up wearing the same gear, and they're specifically designed to let you blow through content to get to endgame as fast as possible.

Orange gear is designed to let people choose a look the like, and doesn't have any real effect on the rate of content consumption or game balance.

I would never even try to compare the two... but then I think BOA's are probably one of the worst ideas ever.

Im glad you cant wear whatever you want at level 50. Rift bugged me alot not having any idea what kind of gear anyone your fighting or teaming with has. Unless you inspect them. I do however think that they are making it so you can take all the mods out of high level gear so it will prob be possible to wear whatever you want :( :( :(

Like BOA's? Hardly. They're sort of the opposite.

With BOA's, everyone leveling up ends up wearing the same gear, and they're specifically designed to let you blow through content to get to endgame as fast as possible.

Orange gear is designed to let people choose a look the like, and doesn't have any real effect on the rate of content consumption or game balance.

I would never even try to compare the two... but then I think BOA's are probably one of the worst ideas ever.

But I was praising the orange...

I'd rather have an appearance tab instead.

One orange gear = 3 more equipment slots to micro manage.

They're much easier to manage.

Gearing has become so stale since I settled on a five-piece orange set back on Tatooine. Taking the time to put together a pimp set of BH gear for my jugg when I hit 50 was alright, but knowing that it'll all get tossed for a standardized appearance once I start replacing it with end-game gear is disheartening.

But even without the orange gear, gearing in this game was so easy.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the things TOR introduced that are original are great. They are the best parts of the game.

Being able to control how you look...GENIUS.

I wish they focused more on this stuff.

Yeah. Then they ruined it by putting in set bonuses. So that orange gear you really like is useless endgame.

except that they're totally useless at endgame.

guess you don't read dev posts but they are changing that. All epic mods will be able to remove from sets to put into the orange gear you want. Your orange gear will even had the set bonuses from the teir armor.

So don't go throwing away all the armor looks you loved just yet.

Don't give up hope just yet Rafkin

Edited by LordXalas

Read the dev posts, epic gear is slated to be fully salvagable for mods. Until 2 months ago WoW had the worst customization of the genre and with one patch they implemented the best system in the genre. Is modding in Swtor better than transmorging, no, but it's a pretty darn close second...much better than you see in other games.

Oh I said something positive about a game on it's forum, pardon me while I go flog myself for an hour.

guess you don't read dev posts but they are changing that. All epic mods will be able to remove from sets to put into the orange gear you want. Your orange gear will even had the set bonuses from the teir armor.

So don't go throwing away all the armor looks you loved just yet.

Don't give up hope just yet Rafkin

I don't have much faith in their team to go through with that. At best they might do it that way with the first level cap increase since we'll all be upgrading gear then anyway.