Is SWTOR getting you in trouble?

PolishTank

So this past weekend I was supposed to do the following.

• Replace a light switch
  • Clean out the basement
  • Fix a leaking sink

I didn't do any of them, mainly because of SWTOR. By 5 pm Sunday my wife got pretty mad at me and she demanded to know why I didn't get them done. I told her I would have but I was called on to destroy Republic artillery cannons to prep for an Imperial assault. After a couple second look of pure confusion, she stormed off.

So right now I'm perusing flowers.com. I thought it be interesting to hear from those who have pressing Real Life things that are just not getting done. Anyone else getting in trouble with wife/girlfriend/parents/school/work do to this unbelievable life sink that is SWTOR?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. What you have is called an addiction. If this game affects your real life duties, you should probably take a good look at your priorities.

Oh god. No. I hate how people throw around the A word in gaming lately. It's like the new ADHD of 2011/2012.

This weekend I went to the bar instead of cleaning the house. I must be an alcoholic then.

• Replace a light switch
  • Clean out the basement
  • Fix a leaking sink

I didn't do any of them, mainly because of SWTOR. By 5 pm Sunday my wife got pretty mad at me and she demanded to know why I didn't get them done. I told her I would have but I was called on to destroy Republic artillery cannons to prep for an Imperial assault. After a couple second look of pure confusion, she stormed off.

So right now I'm perusing flowers.com. I thought it be interesting to hear from those who have pressing Real Life things that are just not getting done. Anyone else getting in trouble with wife/girlfriend/parents/school/work do to this unbelievable life sink that is SWTOR?

Wife has got the PC on lock down....

Nah man. Me and my girlfriend are good about giving each other time to do our own things.

And if when she really wants my attention she wears less clothing. No game addiction has yet to overcome every mans real addiction.

LOL...man you kids crack me up. That easy going, flexible GF you have is for a ring buddy. So are "favors." Once you marry, both go out the window.

Right now hubby is away so the only person to get me in trouble is me. Yay but boo-- I'd rather have the problem of getting trouble.

I have however had my dogs come and stare at me with soulful eyes if I'm late getting their dinner because I lost track of time.

Naw I don't have that issue at all. I got my wife just as addicted to these games as I am so we both jones for the game.

I've heard of women that playing video games with their significant other. Must be nice. I have a hard time believing it actually. 3 years ago my wife saw Ellen Degeneres playing Guitar Hero on her stupid show. She says that looks like fun and wants it. So of course I think that's my chance to get her into video games and go spend $150 on two guitars and the game. Of course she played twice then started whining about it being too hard/cramped fingers and we never played again.

• Replace a light switch
  • Clean out the basement
  • Fix a leaking sink

My wife and I do chores together. No one is supposed to do anything. We're a partnership. No one is a maid. Just sayin' ;)

Edited by Rhyltran

I've heard of women that playing video games with their significant other. Must be nice. I have a hard time believing it actually. 3 years ago my wife saw Ellen Degeneres playing Guitar Hero on her stupid show. She says that looks like fun and wants it. So of course I think that's my chance to get her into video games and go spend $150 on two guitars and the game. Of course she played twice then started whining about it being too hard/cramped fingers and we never played again.

I have the opposite issue. My husband isn't into computer games at all.

I know lots of people who play as couples though. In my other game about a quarter or more of my guild are married or dating couples. Heck a few originally became couples through MMO games over the years.

• Replace a light switch
  • Clean out the basement
  • Fix a leaking sink

Yeah, this happens to me a lot. Funny thing is, my wife bought me the game for Christmas! LOOOOL

Offering a wife's perspective here.

On the serious side of the matter, bite the bullet and postpone your playtime until the honey-do's are done. If you think her latest reaction was bad, just wait until it happens again :eek: Add to that the fact that you won't have them hanging over your head and in the back of your mind.

Now, for the lighter side. Thank you for the giggle. I'm a gamer's wife as well as a gamer myself, so I see both sides. I'd wager that all gamers have been in your position to some degree and have shirked/postponed a chore, arrived a bit late, gone to work with too little sleep, etc. We're human after all. My husband and I play SWTOR together after RL responsibilities are dealt with. RL gets handled, we enjoy some game time together, no agruments errupt and he's saving a fortune on flowers ;)

Offering a wife's perspective here.

On the serious side of the matter, bite the bullet and postpone your playtime until the honey-do's are done. If you think her latest reaction was bad, just wait until it happens again :eek: Add to that the fact that you won't have them hanging over your head and in the back of your mind.

Now, for the lighter side. Thank you for the giggle. I'm a gamer's wife as well as a gamer myself, so I see both sides. I'd wager that all gamers have been in your position to some degree and have shirked/postponed a chore, arrived a bit late, gone to work with too little sleep, etc. We're human after all. My husband and I play SWTOR together after RL responsibilities are dealt with. RL gets handled, we enjoy some game time together, no agruments errupt and he's saving a fortune on flowers ;)

I should say that the RL dailies are getting done. I mean it snowed so I did shovel, always help with the baby, cooked dinner on Sunday, trash, etc. However its the involved "projects" that I'm having, uhh, motivation issues over. LOL.

What's wrong with playing for a few hours, having fun, and then moving on to something else? Why is that a fatal flaw in the game? Most of the people I know only have a few hours at a given stretch to play anyway. The only way it could be a fatal flaw is if you don't want to log in ever again. But if you get the itch again in a few hours or a day or two, I don't see a problem with a game that encourages short spurts of play.

At the very least, after a few hours, you need a break to clear your eyes and mind, perhaps take a stretch.

As for the OP's topic, my husband and I both play, but we typically only do so after other chores have been taken care of. He's more of a stickler than I am though :p Although, I've dragged him off the computer to walk the dogs, just because they were griping and it was annoying.

Oh god. No. I hate how people throw around the A word in gaming lately. It's like the new ADHD of 2011/2012.

This weekend I went to the bar instead of cleaning the house. I must be an alcoholic then.

if you go to the bar every weekend instead of doing your house work, then yes. Thinking you can't be addicted to a game is pretty narrow-minded. You most certainly can, and a lot of people are. I know of a lot of friends who dropped out of college due to not being able to put games down. It wasn't that they weren't smart, it's just that they never went to class/did their work.