I need help with a computer problem.

Space_Gimp

Since you've just posted that your power supply is a 1000W Thermaltake, I'm going to draw the conclusion that this is not a power-related issue. It would be helpful to know the exact model and manufacturer of your video card. We know that it's an nVidia 570 GTX chipset, but more specifically the company that produced the actual unit. If it's not too much trouble, your full system specs wouldn't hurt.

Well I just ordered that power supply today. I don't have it in yet. I don't know my current power supply because I took it out to look at it and there's no sticker.

My new vid card is a Nvidia 570 gtx 1280 MB. Factory Overclocked to 780 MHz. Made by Gigabyte. My motherboard is from Gigabyte so I try to keep to the same company if at all possible.

As for the system specs... I'm going to have to look this up somehow. I can't remember.

Edited by Space_Gimp

System Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: X58A-UD3R

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 6144MB RAM

I just upgraded from a nvidia 285 gtx to a nvidia 570 gtx and now my computer auto restarts every 45 minutes to an hour while playing swtor. I don't have this problem on other games and programs. I've tested this out the last couple days and it only restarts on swtor. I need advice on what I can do to fix this.

just go to the card makers site and upgrade the bios i had the same problem and after doing some looking around turned out to do with voltage after last driver update from Nvidia and after BIOS update all was good

Sounds like you need to reinstall your OS.

If you change your graphics card you need to reinstall.

It's 100% a Power Supply problem.

1000 watt power supplies are pretty much the norm these days. 600-800 is "getting by" for most up to date computers.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. ****, you are the most stupid sentient being I've met on these forums yet. Congratulations.

Edited by Hyperllama

You don't have a clue what you are talking about. ****, you are the most stupid sentient being I've met on these forums yet. Congratulations.

This is deserving of PicardFacePalm.jpg, at least the first part.

Well I just ordered that power supply today. I don't have it in yet. I don't know my current power supply because I took it out to look at it and there's no sticker.

My new vid card is a Nvidia 570 gtx 1280 MB. Factory Overclocked to 780 MHz. Made by Gigabyte. My motherboard is from Gigabyte so I try to keep to the same company if at all possible.

As for the system specs... I'm going to have to look this up somehow. I can't remember.

I'm guessing from your description that it's the GV-N570OC-13I that's listed on Newegg...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125384

If that's the case, then you should have two separate power connectors on the card. If you hold the card such that the fans are facing you and the video output connectors (DVI, HDMI, etc.) are to the left, the power connectors should be at the top, right of the circuit board, just past the silver heat pipe. With the card installed and the side panel removed, the connectors should be toward the middle of the computer and pointing toward you. These two connectors need to be plugged into either two power cables from the power supply directly, or using the adapters that came with the card, connected to a total of what looks to be four old-school molex 4-pin power connectors (pre-SATA hard drive or CD-ROM).

If you haven't got anything plugged into those connectors on the video card, there's probably half your problem. If your current PSU has the two power cables to fit (each should be 6 pins) you can try them. If you have those specific power cables but have the adapter cables that came with the card, you may be able to give it a try with your current power supply if you have enough molex connectors.

Might be worth checking to see if your bios has an update.;)

Good point, but, generally speaking, it's good to avoid flashing the BIOS unless there is no other plausible cause of the problem. A bad flash can kill a motherboard instantly. I know a lot of Gigabyte's boards have dual-BIOS to protect against that, but still, I'd suggest it only as a last resort.

Just after reinstalling the OS (but not due to changing the video card).

It's not a power supply issue.

If it was, the crashes would be at whatever point there was max power drain on the system, which would usually be when there was heavy graphics use, which could be at any point from 30 seconds into the game.

OP states that the issues were usually 45 mins - 1 hour into the game.

Just to be sure, run something like 3D Mark that's designed to stress your video card, if it completes a couple of full run through's without crashing, then it's definitely not your PSU.

I can only agree with ispanolfw on this one. So please little one, toddle off into the corner, see there is a nice blanket you can go sleepy-sleep on... :rolleyes:

Normally I would also assume that it is a problem relating to the power... but then again without being able to check it's at best a shot in the dark.

I'm rather surprised that there's no sticker on the old PSU?!

Is this a custom-build PC or one off the rack?

Just askin' coz you may have just wasted good money buying a new PSU when the problem actually rests with something else...

You were saying that the crash only happens in SWTOR... are you playing any other games? How are these performing since the new card came in?