Some of the "Ability delay" is actually just "Animation delay"

Galbatorrix

For instance, the Troopers Mortar Volley. When you cast the ability, the animation doesn't start until half way though the channel bar and doesn't stop until about 1 second after the channeling is completed. With that said, even though the animation is delayed for this ability, you can still move after the channel bar is finished and the animation will still complete while you're moving even though moving is supposed to cancel out the effects of the ability. You can also use a charge ability like Full Auto right after the Mortar Volley channel bar disappears and the Full Auto Charge will take place while Mortar Volley's animation is still completing. So, it would seem that at least in some cases, the ability and damage is happening in the back ground even though the animation would tell you otherwise. I also tested this with my Gunslingers Aimed Shot. The animation will continue after the charge bar goes away, but I can actually move or cast another chargeable ability right after the Aimed Shot charge is completed and the second ability starts charging. The biggest issue with this is that I can't tell if instant abilities are "happening in the back ground" and also having a delayed animation due to the previous animation still being in progress or if the animation delay is causing them to fail. If they are failing, this is the only crippling part of this issue.

Either way, They need to figure out a way to make the animation begin as soon as you click the ability. Instant ability animations should happen entirely within one global cool down, or in the very least, a new abilities animation should overwrite any animations that are currently in progress. It's ok for charged or channeled abilities to have longer "prettier" animations, but they need to figure out how to make the animation trigger as soon as the ability is clicked/pressed. If they do these two things the game would feel just as smooth as any other.

Also, as far as the whole "you have to wait an extra half second before moving when you board your speeder" thing, this could easily be fixed by reducing the channel time of these type abilities in the back ground but keep the tool tip for them the same.

Now, the question is, how difficult will it be for them to implement these changes?

Edited by Galbatorrix

I can say one thing, Diagnostic Scan (channeled healing ability, operative) suffers horribly from ability delay. The ability simply does not fire off 3/4th of the time. It is because of the animation. The Operative pulls a device from his/her pocket, points it at the target, does the whole flashy heal thing while channeling, and then gets put away. The problem comes from trying to get that ability to cast over and over.

I just hit the key 3 times in quick succession and it always fires off instantly. Hitting the key 3 times quickly works because it forces the game to skip part of the animation (you can literally see the animation skip, it skips every single time).

It really is amazing. I am hoping they will fix this soon or that it can be fixed at all.

Edited by Aisar

The animation issue is huge. I noticed it quite often on my Jedi Guardian last night. In particular, sunder and blade storm seem to be the worst offenders. All of the abilities are instant cast, but there is a noticeable delay if an enemy is attacking me and I parry an attack. The parry animation seems to be higher priority and it makes me wait for my ability to go off. It's really annoying when I'm solo-ing equal level elites.

Semantics.

I thought your point was that animations need to start at the right moment.

I don't care about the animation, I want my ability to fire off. That is all I was saying. You kind of made it seem like the ability was still going off despite no animation. My heals were not casting, nothing happening. Meaning my teamates are still dying and I am not healing lol.

We were talking about it since beginning. You can see it best while using speeder.

1. timer start and load that bar

2. bar full, animation start

3. animation end and you can ride

While it should be

1. timer start and also count animation

2. bar full, you can ride

Some classess have problems like this because some attacks are interrupted even if they are charged and ready. Only because animation start AFTER timer. Some other skills like "Tracer missile" for example fire anyway - usualy with broken animation.

Edited by DariuszPol

I thought your point was that animations need to start at the right moment.

I don't care about the animation, I want my ability to fire off. That is all I was saying. You kind of made it seem like the ability was still going off despite no animation. My heals were not casting, nothing happening. Meaning my teamates are still dying and I am not healing lol.

I haven't checked the theory with a healing spell. All I'm saying is that I can use other abilities after a channel or charge bar has completed even though the animation is still playing. Have you tried to cast your channeled heal and then cast a cast time heal after the channeling has completed? If you're currently waiting until the animation has finished playing, you may not have to if the healing works like some of the attacks work.

No, not semantics as the actual ability being delayed (meaning it's effects) and the animation being delayed (but still working in the back ground) are two entirely different things.

I think you're mixing up issues here:

- the mortar has a 1.5-ish second setup phase within the animation, which appears to be mirrored in the background damage. The complaints about the mortar refer to imbalance vs the BH as 'death from above' does not have that lengthy setup phase.

- there is a separate issue with ability delay/misfires.

- there are yet more issues with channeled abilities and a bunch of timing issues (including the trooper's "full auto" finishing before dealing it's full damage).

But afaik the delay with the mortar is not a bug (it's working perfectly) but the design is flawed.

The thing happening in the video is obviously a glitch, but it shows that animation and ability firing is perfectly separate in WoW. This mechanic is simple and it works.

I believe the problem with TOR is that they aren't separate, which creates a ton of issues.

I can say one thing, Diagnostic Scan (channeled healing ability, operative) suffers horribly from ability delay. The ability simply does not fire off 3/4th of the time. It is because of the animation. The Operative pulls a device from his/her pocket, points it at the target, does the whole flashy heal thing while channeling, and then gets put away. The problem comes from trying to get that ability to cast over and over.

I just hit the key 3 times in quick succession and it always fires off instantly. Hitting the key 3 times quickly works because it forces the game to skip part of the animation (you can literally see the animation skip, it skips every single time).

It really is amazing. I am hoping they will fix this soon or that it can be fixed at all.

Since you figured this out, you need to post a bug report. I think it would be way more helpful than posting on a thread that will more than likely get merged with another.

I think you're mixing up issues here:

- the mortar has a 1.5-ish second setup phase within the animation, which appears to be mirrored in the background damage. The complaints about the mortar refer to imbalance vs the BH as 'death from above' does not have that lengthy setup phase.

- there is a separate issue with ability delay/misfires.

- there are yet more issues with channeled abilities and a bunch of timing issues (including the trooper's "full auto" finishing before dealing it's full damage).

But afaik the delay with the mortar is not a bug (it's working perfectly) but the design is flawed.

I don't know about your Mortar Volley, but with mine, my guy stands there for half a second at least just pointing his gun before the firing animation occurs. And again, I can move during the last part of the animation after the channeling is completed when I shouldn't be able to. That to me screams animation delay.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.