More Dots: A Lethality PvP Essay

Jorderon

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP, I see that when you get in trouble, you use Corrosive Grenade (presumably for the snare), then Debilitate before kiting. Shouldn't you use Debilitate first, then save the snare from CG for if the target purges the stun? Seems to me that using CG that way would waste the snare *and* make Flash Bang less useful.

You have a point there. Using debilitate first would be recommended to try to force a purge, and if they purge it you could flashbang to escape one target. I like to save flashbang for multiple targets, however, to try and force several purges. You obviously can't flashbang a dot'd target. Thus it seems that the best way to get away is debilitate, run, if purge then CG, run.

Good observation.

DoTs are OP in terms of DPCT, but it depends on how quickly a target dies. Interrogation Probe is only worth casting if it's been on the target a certain amount of time and that depends on their Armor as well.

Whether 2/16/23 or 2/8/31 is better then the other depends on how quickly the target dies, whether the Cull inflicts damage while they are below 30% health, and what the armor value of the target was. At least in terms of strictly DPS. If you are killing your opponents during the Cull, then it's likely that 2/8/31 would be superior. Mathematically it's a delicate balance between variables when determining whether Cluster Bombs + Interrogation Probe was superior to Weakening Blast + Devouring Microbes. The reason I take 2/8/31 is because it takes a long time to kill and very low armor values to give the advantage in favor of 2/16/23 in addition to it having longer cooldown requirements due to Explosive Probe being so vital. However, that is a good part personal preference too.

I do believe a lot of people do not fully realize how much additional internal damage Weakening Blast actually does. It's nearly 1.5-2.5k extra internal damage that gets used up within the duration of Cull and is extremely energy efficient.

Edited by Ayestes

I personally play the Engineering/Leth Spec, and my other Sniper runs the Marks/Engineering spec.

They both work and [after MUCH testing] are the best damage specs atm.

My personal thanks for your specs info :)

They do work very very well.

How does that help that?

btw. My max was 190k with earlier spec and 330k with that engy/leth spec. All with just 10 warzones. No gear change. With only 142 expertice.

The change was insane. Earlier spec was Pure MM and with low skills from other trees. Kiting ability makes huge difference.

Downside is that this spec doesn't work in pve very well. It works against elites and above, but the lack of instant burst makes it weak there.

Awesome write makes me want to try it but...

Wouldn't engineering be more dots?

20 eng Toxic dart

16 eng Interrogation Probe

16 eng Plasma Probe

20 eng Series of Shots (after talent gets elemental dot) pluss SoS is kinda like a dot... x2

16 eng Explosive Probe (after talent gets a 4 tick dot kind of)

seems like more dots IDK. Sorry for derailing because I am a huge fan of the post.

Plasma Probe isn't a DoT bud. its a stationary AoE.

VERY BAD.

You know that DoT stands for Damage over Time right?

How is:

"Deploys a plasma drone over the target area that deals 1035 elemental damage over 18 seconds to up to 3 enemies within 5 meters."

That's text book DoT. Not a mobile one but still VERY MUCH at DoT....

As a Lethality Sniper, I'm curious as to why that post alone would get you excited about Lethality. +15% Damage on Corrosive Grenade is certainly nice, but to be frank our DoTs have a very low DPS and are only effective by themselves when they last to at least near the full duration. Sure it looks good on the scoreboard, but our primary source of damage in the practical sense is from Cull. While I think it's cool that it works, I'm just not sure why +15% damage on Corrosive Grenade would make or break your choice for Lethality. Could you elaborate?

It really is a personal preference. If you want to burn someone down yourself, Lethality is probably not for you (at least if you're fighting equal or higher geared players like I do). If you want to raid, you'll want to go full into a tree probably. If you want to farm medals in PvP, though, I think a split Engineering/Lethality could be good for that as this post suggests. That's where I'm at, so I'm intrigued.

Top Dps tree for pvp AND pve is engineering with an emphasis on Leth.

it's been tested.

What specific build are you talking about, and do you have a source? I follow the forums here and on sithwarrior, and haven't encountered any eng/leth build conclusively outdamaging other builds in both pve and pvp. I'm curious since I would love using something else than pure leth or mm.

I tried the build in the OP and I'm loving it so far (I'm very interested in trying the hybrid Lethality and Eng one).

This is probably a stupid question, but does power still help the Lethality DoTs? I know some people debate stacking Critical vs Power. I had a relic for Power prior to my spec switch, I was just curious if Power still translates in Lethality DoTs?