BioWare should switch to the Unreal Engine!

BOLTgamer

If I recall, Stargate Worlds used UT for the client side. And you should be able to see that when... well never. Unless someone resurrects the fail that was Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment.

In beta, I couldn't even start the client for about a month because the display was so glitched it was unplayable. Not to mention the fact that it tended to reset my computer.

From what people were saying back then, it wasn't a good choice because it is inherently a client-side technology, and doesn't really help to implement the server. But I really don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll just throw that out there.

FYI, SGW was using two engines, UT for the client and BigWorld for the server. People were saying that was crazy (including the authors of BigWorld).

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I recall, Stargate Worlds used UT for the client side. And you should be able to see that when... well never. Unless someone resurrects the fail that was Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment.

In beta, I couldn't even start the client for about a month because the display was so glitched it was unplayable. Not to mention the fact that it tended to reset my computer.

From what people were saying back then, it wasn't a good choice because it is inherently a client-side technology, and doesn't really help to implement the server. But I really don't know what I'm talking about, so I'll just throw that out there.

FYI, SGW was using two engines, UT for the client and BigWorld for the server. People were saying that was crazy (including the authors of BigWorld).

Hero Engine was really chosen because of its backend capabilities in server clustering and such. It does the server side really well. The client side, well that still has some tweaking to go.

Other than Vanguard Saga of Heros, are there any launched Unreal Engine MMOs?

Just asking.

Yes use google theres 20+ mmo's out there using unreal vs's heroengines.... two counting swtor lol.

And Tera i believe started dev around the same time as swtor... has been out for a year in korea. (lol i almost spelt that as corea o.0)

But all that aside its too late for bioware to switch swtor's engine unless they rework how they create content, how they collaborate (not all of them are in one spot they are spread out) and well how the game works in general.

It would probably take a good year or two of recoding to get the game ported over... and after the millions they spent on hero engine they will probably stick with it and just try and make it work.... which so far is not working to well.

Edited by Barracudastr

There is absolutely no way you are a game developer if you actually believe this. It's ludicrous.

You don't just "export" a game to a new engine. That's not even remotely how it works.

ITT everyone is a programmer/indie game developer.

This thread gave me a good laugh.

Pink Saber pretty much nailed it.

Sure, OP.

Let's ask Bioware to spend literally millions upon millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours doing something that, to the casual observer (90-95% of the playerbase) will make no difference whatsoever.

That's an absolutely fabulous idea.

• 2 weeks later...

If this happened, you can expect the game to be finished with the new engine in a few years.

Funcom is working on updating the graphics engine for Anarchy Online, and it's literally been years in the making.

Unless the game was made with the Unreal engine, there is no chance I could ever see this happening (although it would be awesome). Simply because the amount of work required would be like making another MMO of this magnitude.