Let's compare early WoW with early TOR

Leohat

In cata you had static zones and had to be handheld through each of them to move to the next one.

Just lvld my mage in Vash and my hunter in Mount Hyjal.

Went 80-85 with Vash + Deepholm - mage

Went 80-85 with Hyjal + Uldum - Hunter

Went 80-85 with 1/2 Vash + 1 or so level pure tank queing + 1/2 or morelevel pvping + Twilight Highlands - Warrior

Always mixing it up, because I have the option to.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mount Hyjal, Vashj-whatever

Then

That elemental plane in the center, forget name.

Then

Uldum or twilight highlands.

Small chocices, but choices nonetheless.

Thank you very much. :)

Vashjir was such a failure. 3d aggro ftl. Also in vash/hyjal you HAD to finish those before you could move on. Same design as TOR.

do you know what linear means?

the quest are very linear you are force to go in a certain direction just to do a certain quest hub back then if i went to STV i had the choice to do grom'gol first or the mastery quest cata removed it with their new zones just by having 1 more starting zone cata doesnt make it any less linear.

yup i said wow isnt linear.....wait no i said wow is less linear than swtor oh but i guess that means the same thing now lmao

Just lvld my mage in Vash and my hunter in Mount Hyjal.

Went 80-85 with Vash + Deepholm - mage

Went 80-85 with Hyjal + Uldum - Hunter

Went 80-85 with 1/2 Vash + 1 or so level pure tank queing + 1/2 or morelevel pvping + Twilight Highlands - Warrior

Always mixing it up, because I have the option to.

Thats a pretty cool story. I liked the ending.

Vashjir was such a failure. 3d aggro ftl. Also in vash/hyjal you HAD to finish those before you could move on. Same design as TOR.

No you did not have to, not even close.

It is, im not saying its the best design but do you really want people wandering into zones they have no business being in?

YES. That is exactly what made wow enjoyable

was being a stupid level 23 running through burning steppes etc.

Getting explorer title on a level like 40.

hyjal had a set questline u had to finish for fl (which didnt take long and u can skip some quests) and u didnt have to do Vashjir at all

WoW at vanilla (and now) had what this game will never have: soul.

Different animations for different races, ability to swim, sit in chairs, drink beer, do neat things with engineering (the jumping from Azshara video comes to mind). You could explore the whole world and actually visit opposing faction's capitals.

This game's big innovations are companions (useless at end-game), and voice-overs (over at end-game).

the isnt wow is pretty linear (never argued against that). the point is swtor is MORE linear

M'kay people

SWTOR Planets =/= WoW zones

Sure you had 2 diffenert zones you could start in in Cata.... They could both fit inside some of the SWTOR Planets with plenty of room to spare.

Your story is linear, yes, but so are all stories for the most part. In WoW, the story is always the same, the difference is that no one is playing WoW for the story, so it doesn't seem as linear.

Sure, you got more zones to choose from in WoW at some points, but who cares about which zones you can go to when all you are trying to do is grind to max level? Most people only enjoy engame in WoW, but in SWTOR, most people are enjoying the 50 levels of content that this whole game is built around.

3d water aggro or killing purple dragons...hmmm SO MANY CHOICES.

Attack the same complex... again... and again... and again... stealing the same formula again... and again... and again...

Stopping the same cult... again.. and again... and again...

On my 2nd 80 doing the underwater area was a completely different experience than Hyjal.

3d water aggro or killing purple dragons...hmmm SO MANY CHOICES.

You aren't exactly coming across very well here.

The bottom line is in WOW you had a little choice. In TOR you have zero choice. If I chose to I could go level in Elwynn or Darkshore or whatever the Dwarven area was. I could choose between something like Redridge or Ashenvale or Wetlands. I had some choice. Here? NONE.

Attack the same complex... again... and again... and again... stealing the same formula again... and again... and again...

Stopping the same cult... again.. and again... and again...

On my 2nd 80 doing the underwater area was a completely different experience than Hyjal.

Honestly its the same in any mmo so why bother splitting hairs, this whole thread is nothing but semantics and bickering. I feel ashamed to even post in it now that i think about it.

I think one huge thing people are missing is that this game started into development years ago, before many add ons and features of old MMOs even existed. They can't, in the middle of development just go back and change working code. You start with some design, and you see it through to the end. Missing features have to be added in later.

I myself like how little there is to the game right now. And I'm hoping Bioware is much more careful about the features they add. While there is a lot of things that are nice in WoW today, many of those features, while fixing the game in some ways, was also detrimental at the same time. Basically, the gameplay has been improved immensely in that game, but at the cost of the community in some aspects.

Umm... all the aggro mobs were on the bottom, so if you didn't see them... /shrug

I actually loved Vashjir, most of my guild hated it, though. :(

And no, you didn't have to finish those. In fact, when it first came out, I just did 1.

Heck, you don't even have to do THAT. You could just pvp (without ability delay, omg... it's so amazing without ability delay), or dungeon crawl (with effective EXP gain, TORs is a little lacking from what i've done).

Not playing WoW, might go back during Pandaria (OMG <3 PANDAS!!), but TOR isn't the "WoW killer" for me. And no I don't mean "OMG TOR WILL DESTROY WOW'S POPULATION!" I just mean on a personal level.

You aren't exactly coming across very well here.

The bottom line is in WOW you had a little choice. In TOR you have zero choice. If I chose to I could go level in Elwynn or Darkshore or whatever the Dwarven area was. I could choose between something like Redridge or Ashenvale or Wetlands. I had some choice. Here? NONE.

Because wow isnt story driven based on your character. Anyone can do the quests in your faction. Do you understand the concept of story-driven vs non story-driven?

Because wow isnt story driven based on your character. Anyone can do the quests in your faction. Do you understand the concept of story-driven vs non story-driven?

I do. However, folks were talking about linear play. TOR is more linear.

if anybody dare say swtor storyline is more linear than WoW need to smack themselves silly because last i check i didnt have a choice in WoW to keep somebody alive or kill them or scare them away i wish i had the choice not to kill illidan...... Edited by genmyke

Umm... all the aggro mobs were on the bottom, so if you didn't see them... /shrug

I actually loved Vashjir, most of my guild hated it, though. :(

And no, you didn't have to finish those. In fact, when it first came out, I just did 1.

Heck, you don't even have to do THAT. You could just pvp (without ability delay, omg... it's so amazing without ability delay), or dungeon crawl (with effective EXP gain, TORs is a little lacking from what i've done).

Not playing WoW, might go back during Pandaria (OMG <3 PANDAS!!), but TOR isn't the "WoW killer" for me. And no I don't mean "OMG TOR WILL DESTROY WOW'S POPULATION!" I just mean on a personal level.

Dont worry noone will miss you.

I do. However, folks were talking about linear play. TOR is more linear.

To each their own. I dont see the big deal. Being able to go into a zone 10 levels above me has no advantage i can think of other than a quick death. Straying into those zones offers no benefit other than the illusion of freedom.

if anybody dare say swtor storyline is more linear than WoW need to smack themselves silly because last i check i didnt have a choice in WoW to keep somebody alive or kill them or scare them away i wish i had the choice not to kill illidan......

And THAT is the deciding factor. On MY story lines not a single choice that I've made effected me in the end. The people I chose to live or die haven't done ANYTHING For me.

Man, and linear questing has nothing to do with storyline. Just FYI.