Video Card overheating?

Aersyn

Hi,

I've had a GeForce 9800 GT video card for about a year. Took it out of my old pc and tossed in a new one I got about 5-6 months ago.

Anyhow, I've never really ever made it work hard, most demanding game I had played was WoW. Played the beta issue free, got my early access today, and my machine has just shut down twice.

Is it because the video card is overheating?

Or possibly another issue?

Probably - I've had similar issues with other games before (STO online for example). Can you open the case and see if that helps? If you can find a fan to blow in the case too, or make sure the PC is away from a radiator then that may help to try to track down if heating is the issue.

Good luck.

Is it because the video card is overheating?

Or possibly another issue?

Without seeing the temperature, it's hard to tell. Have you tried using the included software, or a utility like GPU-Z to see what your temperatures are?

Also, try checking for dust.

Could be that your power supply is inadequate for that card's intensive draw at max load.

How many watts and what brand?

I had this exact issue with my 9800gtx unfortunately. Ended up having to upgrade my power supply because that thing is a power hog. Sadly I swapped it out for an ati after it bit the dirt.

I was having the same problem in beta, my pc wasn't shutting down, but my vid card was getting really hot and the fan was spinning so hard it could be heard from another room. That was in windowed mode, when I switched to full screen mode the problem went away, well mostly, it still did it once inawhile during cut scenes, but otherwise it was ok.

I'd suggest putting vsync on or lock your Fps to 60 or less and see if the issue persists if its an overheating thing it could be a runaway frame rate bug, it tries to draw every thing faster and faster and melts the cards STO had that bug.

Yeah, in beta I was getting ridiculous high FPS running my card really hot. I was never able to find a way to limit my FPS in game like STO allowed me to do. Any advice?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.