The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Top 5 swordsmen ever!

drakenvold

And another reason Obi-Wan always deserves a place on the list. He was played by Ewan McGregor in the prequels, and Ewan McGregor is Wedge Antilles's nephew RL. Dennis Lawson is his uncle. :cool:

Yeah, the dude was born to play a role in Star Wars!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't mean the jedi of the PT era's power had stagnated Palpatine was the strongest sith lord in history so obviously he was able to mask himself from the entire jedi order, its already G-canon that their peak was during the PT era. You don't need constant war or fighting to better your skills, training is just as good. In fact its better because without constant war, more powerful jedi can rise up instead of being cut down every time they get thrown into a battle. Training also can help skills improve, whereas the battle your not thinking of improving your skills, your just using your knowledge of what you know to beat the opponent.

Just because the PT era jedi haven't been in a war up until the Clone Wars, doesn't mean they grew weak at all. If that were true, then they wouldn't have some of the finest jedi in the history of the order.

Where is it stated that the Prequel Trilogy Era Jedi Order was the peak of the Jedi Order?

Training is all well and good. Training the way the Jedi do it does not prepare you for battle. You can learn theory all day long. Its nearly impossible to prepare yourself for every eventuality in battle while practicing in a classroom environment. Practical experience is the best teacher.

You say training in a safe envionment is better? Look what that got Cin Drallig, the Jedi Battlemaster. Look what that got the Padawan that protected Bail Organa during Order 66. War separates the wheat from the chaff. You either become strong enough to survive it or you don't and you die.

You say you don't become better from actual battles? Tell that to Anakin Skywalker, The Man Without Fear. He threw himself into every battle he could find and became one of the best swordsmen of the time. The Clone Wars is the only difference between Anakin in Episode II and Anakin in Epsiode III. Episode II he loses an arm to Count Dooku. Episode II he not only is visibly better than Dooku, he is able to disarm him, cut off his hands, and then beheads him.

Nowhere is it stated that the Prequel Trilogy Jedi Order is the pinnacle of the entire Order. There is a quote from George Lucas that is often times taken out of context to "prove" that the Prequel Trilogy Jedi are the most powerful.

You also made the claim that Palpatine being the most powerful Sith in History is reason enough for him to be able to cloud the perception of the entire Jedi Order. If this is supposed to be the Pinnacle of the Jedi Order, that shouldn't have happened. Especially with Jedi such as Yoda and Mace Windu being his peers. The only way that is possible is for their power to have diminished, as stated during a conversation involving Mace Windu and Yoda.

And another reason Obi-Wan always deserves a place on the list. He was played by Ewan McGregor in the prequels, and Ewan McGregor is Wedge Antilles's nephew RL. Dennis Lawson is his uncle. :cool:

Yeah, the dude was born to play a role in Star Wars!

I forgot about that. It's good to see family connections between Star Wars actors. Of course this is from a certain point of view.

I have just rethunk(yes I said that trolololol) my choice of top 5 swordsmen and I think it would be best to divide Sith and Jedi and make two lists.

Jedi:

1. Mace Windu- He's Samuel L. Jackson man!

2. Yoda- Again Size Matters not!

3. Plo Koon (see previous post)

4. Cin Drallig- one with the Force dawg( again yes I said that)

5. Obi-Wan- Master of Trollesu and all manner of troll things

Sith:

1. Darth Vader- "It looks like I made Vadertots"

2. Darth Bane- Bald... I suppose.

3. Tulak Hord- He made dueling what it is like yah.

4. Palpatine- Old, wrinkly and ZAP!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Count Dooku- got to be the OLDEST Duelist ever.

I have just rethunk(yes I said that trolololol) my choice of top 5 swordsmen and I think it would be best to divide Sith and Jedi and make two lists.

Jedi:

1. Mace Windu- He's Samuel L. Jackson man!

2. Yoda- Again Size Matters not!

3. Plo Koon (see previous post)

4. Cin Drallig- one with the Force dawg( again yes I said that)

5. Obi-Wan- Master of Trollesu and all manner of troll things

Sith:

1. Darth Vader- "It looks like I made Vadertots"

2. Darth Bane- Bald... I suppose.

3. Tulak Hord- He made dueling what it is like yah.

4. Palpatine- Old, wrinkly and ZAP!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Count Dooku- got to be the OLDEST Duelist ever.

Anakin had anti troll spray on when fighting Cin "The Troll" Drallig, so thats why he was able to win. When he fought Obi-Wan though, he ran out of troll spray. :p Its the only logical explanation!

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Anakin had anti troll spray on when fighting Cin "The Troll" Drallig, so thats why he was able to win. When he fought Obi-Wan though, he ran out of troll spray. :p Its the only logical explanation!

Clearly. That's how he beat Dooku too. "Surely You can do better." But when he needed it most, he ran out. Unlucky. Trolltime.

I'm Anakin Skywalker and I endorse Anti-Troll spray. For all of your troll-removal needs.

Edited by Aurbere

Clearly. That's how he beat Dooku too. "Surely You can do better." But when he needed it most, he ran out. Unlucky. Trolltime.

I'm Anakin Skywalker and I endorse Anti-Troll spray. For all of your troll-removal needs.

Why do ya think Dooku dropped the catwalk on him early in the fight in Episode III? He did it so Obi-Wan wouldn't have a chance to use Trollesu on him. :D

Why do ya think Dooku dropped the catwalk on him early in the fight in Episode III? He did it so Obi-Wan wouldn't have a chance to use Trollesu on him. :D

But if that hadn't happened... Troll Fight!

Where is it stated that the Prequel Trilogy Era Jedi Order was the peak of the Jedi Order?

Training is all well and good. Training the way the Jedi do it does not prepare you for battle. You can learn theory all day long. Its nearly impossible to prepare yourself for every eventuality in battle while practicing in a classroom environment. Practical experience is the best teacher.

You say training in a safe envionment is better? Look what that got Cin Drallig, the Jedi Battlemaster. Look what that got the Padawan that protected Bail Organa during Order 66. War separates the wheat from the chaff. You either become strong enough to survive it or you don't and you die.

You say you don't become better from actual battles? Tell that to Anakin Skywalker, The Man Without Fear. He threw himself into every battle he could find and became one of the best swordsmen of the time. The Clone Wars is the only difference between Anakin in Episode II and Anakin in Epsiode III. Episode II he loses an arm to Count Dooku. Episode II he not only is visibly better than Dooku, he is able to disarm him, cut off his hands, and then beheads him.

Nowhere is it stated that the Prequel Trilogy Jedi Order is the pinnacle of the entire Order. There is a quote from George Lucas that is often times taken out of context to "prove" that the Prequel Trilogy Jedi are the most powerful.

You also made the claim that Palpatine being the most powerful Sith in History is reason enough for him to be able to cloud the perception of the entire Jedi Order. If this is supposed to be the Pinnacle of the Jedi Order, that shouldn't have happened. Especially with Jedi such as Yoda and Mace Windu being his peers. The only way that is possible is for their power to have diminished, as stated during a conversation involving Mace Windu and Yoda.

Heh thats exactly what the sith believe if you read my sig and I agree.

"If you seek to aid everyone that suffers in the galaxy, you will only weaken yourself … and weaken them. It is the internal struggles, when fought and won on their own, that yield the strongest rewards… If you care for others, then dispense with pity and sacrifice and recognize the value in letting them fight their own battles."

―Darth Traya[src]

The Sith believed that conflict was the only true test of one's ability, and so emphasized its importance. It was their belief that conflict challenged both individuals and civilizations, and so forced them to grow and evolve. They believed that the avoidance of conflict–like the pacifist teachings of the Jedi–resulted in stagnation and decline.

Edited by lokdron

best sword master (movie only)

1. Darth Maul , singlehandedly beats a jedi master and his apprentice. got killed because he toy with the enemy..

2. Anakin Skywalker , because he is choosen one. got dismembered because he's too cocky but he got his revenge later on.

3. Sidious, beats mace-windu supposedly the best jedi swordmaster at that time and beats up yoda too

4. Mace Windu / Dooku . Tied up here.. same skill

5. Obiwan and the rest of jedi order here..

best sword master (movie only)

1. Darth Maul , singlehandedly beats a jedi master and his apprentice. got killed because he toy with the enemy..

2. Anakin Skywalker , because he is choosen one. got dismembered because he's too cocky but he got his revenge later on.

3. Sidious, beats mace-windu supposedly the best jedi swordmaster at that time and beats up yoda too

4. Mace Windu / Dooku . Tied up here.. same skill

5. Obiwan and the rest of jedi order here..

Hmm, not sure how you can rank Maul above Obi-Wan since yanno Padawan Obi-wan chopped him in half :confused:.

Hmm, not sure how you can rank Maul above Obi-Wan since yanno Padawan Obi-wan chopped him in half :confused:.

Maybe because of his flashy moves. Or the fact that he comes back in TCW(:eek:) and kicks Obi's butt.

• 3 years later...

2. Cin Drallig- Master of all 6 forms, trained by Yoda, nickname "The Troll", was the jedi temple's finest swordsmen during the clone wars and was one of the only hopes in stopping Order 66.

4. Anakin/Vader- Was pretty much a jedi master in skill near the end of the clone wars, as Vader he modified his lightsaber style and whooped several jedi who were younger and more agile then him.

Obi-Wan easily defeated Anakin, when he was at his peak with a light saber, at the end of Revenge of The Sith, and he defeated one of the best Sith swordsmen in Maul

Edited by Eshkakahn

TOTAL FILM: "Are you happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after you're gone?"

LUCAS: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII-IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married...":cool:

And Spike doesn't come back to life, either. :cool: One can always dream dramatic, proper endings are final like they're supposed to be. But dollars, you know.

Oh, wait, I forgot about Jason Todd...and That Marvel Guy who died dramatically of cancer, and the pre-Crisis Golden Age Superman and Superboy, just so the modern chars could dump all over them.

I need to go get my *****slap hand looked at by the doctor. I think I broke something on one of the resurrection auteurs.

Edited by Gorgor

Problem is that there is so much EU that's supposed to be better than average swordsmen but we never see them in action or the story does not always back stuff up:

1) Cin Drallig - he was supposed to be a master swordsman in the 1st 6 styles and teacher at the academy, we never see him in action.

2) Obi-wan - he was "the master" of form III yet got his *** handed to him vs Dooku twice. but then he more than holds his own against the chosen one

3) Anakin - he mastered both versions of form V, and eventually mixed some other styles into his own, but most of his achievements actually happen off screen. We see him beat Dooku but then loose to Obi-wan.

I think in Star Wars, its simple a case of the jedi being exactly how strong they need to be against the current opponent, sometimes they appear gods other times the are tossed around like kathound chew toys.

I would have to say that based on what I've seen, which admittedly is mostly only the movies, several games, and some of the cartoons, that my list would probably be this, going from top to bottom. Granted, I'm just using movie-era for the most part. It would take me a good bit longer to figure out a list like this if I included Old Republic-era.

Kyle Katarn- He killed seven dark jedi while he had minimal training in saber combat, and is one of the few people who can beat Boba Fett in a fair fight. He punched several kell dragons to death with his bare hands too, and that was before he got force powers.

Mace Windu- He had legitimately beaten Darth Sidious, when the sith lord had already butchered three other jedi masters faster than you could say "I am your father!". Furthermore, Windu finished fleshing out Form VII into a style so vicious and powerful that the other two people that knew it fell to the dark side.

Darth Sidious- We all saw how casually he chopped up the three jedi masters that came with Mace, to say nothing of his fight with Darth Maul and Savage Opress in The Clone Wars. Being able to keep up with Yoda in a fight, and ultimately come out the victor in that fight, also helps show off his cred.

Yoda- Primarily due to being able to fight on even terms with Sidious and Dooku in both saber and force duels, and for being quite a good bit older than them to boot.

Obi-Wan Kenobi- While he was far more of a defensive fighter than the others on this list, his style, form III, allowed him to face down the likes of General Grievous, as well as Anakin Skywalker during the duel on Mustaphar, and emerge from those fights with his limbs intact, while his opponents frequently lost theirs. We also should not forget that he's the one that bisected Maul way back in episode I.

Edited by KranfordTButcher
grammatical again