The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Top 5 swordsmen ever!

drakenvold

Others that there are citations stating them as highly skilled but I just disagree.

-Count Dooku

-Darth Maul

-Cin Dralig

Why not Cin Drallig. If you don't retract that statement he'll make you one with the Force.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Others that there are citations stating them as highly skilled but I just disagree.

-Count Dooku

-Darth Maul

-Cin Dralig

Why Dooku and Maul? Both have shown great feats with a lightsaber, as for Cin while he has not enough of lore/backstory behind him. (Even Jocasta Nu the LIBRARIAN has more lore, then the BATTLEMASTER what is wrong with that?) There is evidence still showing that he was a master swordsmen, by definition a swordmaster is.

"A swordmaster was a melee warrior who was proficient in the use of bladed weapons, such as vibroweapons or lightsabers. A swordmaster was constantly training to better his skills in combat. It took years of training and practice to become a swordmaster."

The title Battlemaster is also another word for Sword Master which Cin was, he was also trained by Yoda himself. I am really hoping, somewhere, sometime in TCW we get a view of Cin showing off some moves. Or am waiting till the re-release of EP 3 on DVD where it shows scenes of Anakin and Cin actually fighting(heard it as a rumor, but who knows.)

I know you say, you just disagree but just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Why Dooku and Maul? Both have shown great feats with a lightsaber, as for Cin while he has not enough of lore/backstory behind him. (Even Jocasta Nu the LIBRARIAN has more lore, then the BATTLEMASTER what is wrong with that?) There is evidence still showing that he was a master swordsmen, by definition a swordmaster is.

"A swordmaster was a melee warrior who was proficient in the use of bladed weapons, such as vibroweapons or lightsabers. A swordmaster was constantly training to better his skills in combat. It took years of training and practice to become a swordmaster."

The title Battlemaster is also another word for Sword Master which Cin was, he was also trained by Yoda himself. I am really hoping, somewhere, sometime in TCW we get a view of Cin showing off some moves. Or am waiting till the re-release of EP 3 on DVD where it shows scenes of Anakin and Cin actually fighting(heard it as a rumor, but who knows.)

Yeah that stuffy old coot of a librarian who ripped Obi-Wan a new one has more lore than Cin Drallig. We need more Drallig!

2. Cin Drallig- Master of all 6 forms, trained by Yoda, nickname "The Troll", was the jedi temple's finest swordsmen during the clone wars and was one of the only hopes in stopping Order 66.

Which is funny, since Obi-Wan trolled his opponents quite a bit more often. ;)

As far as raw talent with a Lightsaber, I wouldn't have Obi-Wan anywhere near this list. But as a Master of his Form, he deserves a spot, imo.

Now, I'm gonna have to break down my picks into 5/5 Jedi/Sith.

Jedi

1. Mace Windu. I don't care what people say about Sid playing possum. Mace had him cold.

2. Yoda. Sid just had better Plot Armor.

3. Obi-Wan. "Sup, foo?" 'Nuff said.

4. Kao Cen Daroch. From the "Return" Trailer. Not only did he hold 2 Sith Lords at bay until everyone else could escape, but he mortally wounded one of them before being killed by Malgus.

5. Kyle Katarn. Saved the Best For Last, here. Mastered Djem So with NO FORMAL TRAINING in the Form.

Sith

1. Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus. Fought Yoda to a standstill.

2. Marka Ragnos. Called the Greatest Swordsman the Sith Empire had ever known.

3. Darth Malgus. Total BAMF with either 1 or 2 lightsabers.

4. Darth Maul. Mastered the very difficult Saberstaff, which qualifies him for BAMF status as well.

5. Exar Kun. Also Mastered the Saberstaff. FIRST "Fallen Jedi" Sith to master it, in fact.

Jedi

1. Mace Windu. I don't care what people say about Sid playing possum. Mace had him cold.

4. Kao Cen Daroch. From the "Return" Trailer. Not only did he hold 2 Sith Lords at bay until everyone else could escape, but he mortally wounded one of them before being killed by Malgus.

5. Kyle Katarn. Saved the Best For Last, here. Mastered Djem So with NO FORMAL TRAINING in the Form.

Sith

4. Darth Maul. Mastered the very difficult Saberstaff, which qualifies him for BAMF status as well.

5. Exar Kun. Also Mastered the Saberstaff. FIRST "Fallen Jedi" Sith to master it, in fact.

Good picks I must say. Especially Kyle Katarn:D

Which is funny, since Obi-Wan trolled his opponents quite a bit more often. ;)

As far as raw talent with a Lightsaber, I wouldn't have Obi-Wan anywhere near this list. But as a Master of his Form, he deserves a spot, imo.

You will go to the Dagobah system, n00b. lol

I'd have to say Basil Rathbone. And surprisingly, because Basil Rathbone said he was the best swordsman he'd ever worked with, Danny Kaye.

Rathbone vs. Kaye

Epic reference. Gotta say, that scene with the candles always cracks me up -- and it was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw the title of this thread. :)

I just can't bring myself to put Luke up there. He's got Immortal Plot Armor thanks to George Lucas's No Kill Order on him. Which means that up until George either dies or relents, Luke is ULTIMATELY GOING TO WIN EVERY FREAKIN' TIME! He cannot be killed. He's THE Golden Boy of the Star Wars Universe.

I just can't bring myself to put Luke up there. He's got Immortal Plot Armor thanks to George Lucas's No Kill Order on him. Which means that up until George either dies or relents, Luke is ULTIMATELY GOING TO WIN EVERY FREAKIN' TIME! He cannot be killed. He's THE Golden Boy of the Star Wars Universe.

If he hadn't died in Return of the Jedi, it would actually be Anakin with the "No Kill Order". Luke just had the good fortune to be Anakin's son and successor.

Why not Cin Drallig. If you don't retract that statement he'll make you one with the Force.

I don't count Cin Dralig because the only time we ever see him duel, anywhere, is when he gets taken out by Anakin with one hand. That does not support the claims of him being one of the "Finest Swordsmen" of the Jedi order.

As I said though, my post was entirely my opinion.

I don't caunt Maul because, while I have read his novels and actually enjoy watching Episode I, the only real fights he has been in are with Padawans and an aging Master who haven't seen actual battle with a Force User their entire lives.

He barely defeated the Padawan from Shadow Hunter. He did defeat Qui-Gon Jin but, was subsequently defeated by his Padawan. Granted Obi-Wan was promoted to Full Knighthood directly after. Maul was a good assassin. I wouldn't count him as a Great Swordsman.

I don't count Dooku because his only saving grace in a duel was the fact he practiced a nearly extinct,a t the time, Saber Form, Makashi. It was designed for one on one lightsaber combat. It was designed specifically for fightning another Force User. The Jedi had no use for it as there hadn't been a known Sith for over a thousand years. Jedi had become lax in their preparations against other Force Users. I would say he is very smart and a good duelist. Duelist does not equate to Great Swordsman.

Swordsman to me implies a multi-faceted sword fighter. Not just a one-tick pony.

I don't caunt Maul because, while I have read his novels and actually enjoy watching Episode I, the only real fights he has been in are with Padawans and an aging Master who haven't seen actual battle with a Force User their entire lives.

He barely defeated the Padawan from Shadow Hunter. He did defeat Qui-Gon Jin but, was subsequently defeated by his Padawan. Granted Obi-Wan was promoted to Full Knighthood directly after. Maul was a good assassin. I wouldn't count him as a Great Swordsman.

I don't count Dooku because his only saving grace in a duel was the fact he practiced a nearly extinct,a t the time, Saber Form, Makashi. It was designed for one on one lightsaber combat. It was designed specifically for fightning another Force User. The Jedi had no use for it as there hadn't been a known Sith for over a thousand years. Jedi had become lax in their preparations against other Force Users. I would say he is very smart and a good duelist. Duelist does not equate to Great Swordsman.

Swordsman to me implies a multi-faceted sword fighter. Not just a one-tick pony.

Erh, both Obi and Qui-Gon saw plenty of action with force and saber-use.

Jedi

Sith

I yield, and I love you !

Erh, both Obi and Qui-Gon saw plenty of action with force and saber-use.

They Used the Force. They fought against droids and other non-Force Users. But they had never fought another Force User. Practicing with one is not the same as fighting one for your life. The fight is a whole lot different when you don't have the safety net of your opponent trying not to kill you. They had never fought a Sith before Darth Maul.

They Used the Force. They fought against droids and other non-Force Users. But they had never fought another Force User. Practicing with one is not the same as fighting one for your life. The fight is a whole lot different when you don't have the safety net of your opponent trying not to kill you. They had never fought a Sith before Darth Maul.

By that logic, the entire jedi order is invalidated.

By that logic, the entire jedi order is invalidated.

It does not invalidate the entire order. One, I said it was completely my opinion and two, if you notice my list, the only member of the Jedi Order that made my list was Anakin Skywalker.

Those of the Prequel Trilogy Jedi Order that were considered "Fine Swordsmen" would more than likely only be considered mediocre by the standards of those that lived during times of war between Jedi and Sith.

To use an out of universe example to further explain my point. In Dragon Ball Z after the Cell Saga Gohan's strength and power have stagnated due to not keeping a rigorous enough training regimen and having to hold back when fightning crime as the Great Saiyaman. Vegeta asks him about this since it is apparent that he and Goku have surpassed him when they see Gohan fighting Dabura. Goku had plenty of strong opponents to train with in the afterlife and Vegeta kept up a very rigorous training regimen, always pushing himself to become stronger than Goku.

The Jedi of the Prequel Trilogy were nothing more than Keepers of the Peace, Ambassadors, and Negotiators with Lightsabers. They had no challengers to their "power". They had no rivals that could fight them on equal footing. Lightsabers were little more than a Jedi's badge. Their power had stagnated and atrophied. Hence the relative ease with which Palpatine was able to mask the presence of he and his apprentices.

And isnt it true that Luke Skywalker wasnt passed on the knowlege of traditional Jedi code?

There are a lot of things he had to reinvent himself. The Jedi Code being one of them. However, I do believe he did learn the Code from the Great Holocron. The source of the rest of his training.

There are a lot of things he had to reinvent himself. The Jedi Code being one of them. However, I do believe he did learn the Code from the Great Holocron. The source of the rest of his training.

is it in books? or comics?

I would like to read this.

Edited by krystianswtor

is it in books? or comics?

I would like to read this.

I believe it's mentioned when he puts the Order back together. I know he threw out a LOT of old dogma and doctrine, though.

For example: The ban on Jedi marrying each other. "Hmmm... I can CONTINUE being a celibate basket case monk, OR I can marry the hottest redhead in the galaxy. Yeah, lemme think ab-" <DELETE BUTTON ON THAT DATA>

And Luke gets to knock da boots with Mara Jade. :D

It does not invalidate the entire order. One, I said it was completely my opinion and two, if you notice my list, the only member of the Jedi Order that made my list was Anakin Skywalker.

Those of the Prequel Trilogy Jedi Order that were considered "Fine Swordsmen" would more than likely only be considered mediocre by the standards of those that lived during times of war between Jedi and Sith.

To use an out of universe example to further explain my point. In Dragon Ball Z after the Cell Saga Gohan's strength and power have stagnated due to not keeping a rigorous enough training regimen and having to hold back when fightning crime as the Great Saiyaman. Vegeta asks him about this since it is apparent that he and Goku have surpassed him when they see Gohan fighting Dabura. Goku had plenty of strong opponents to train with in the afterlife and Vegeta kept up a very rigorous training regimen, always pushing himself to become stronger than Goku.

The Jedi of the Prequel Trilogy were nothing more than Keepers of the Peace, Ambassadors, and Negotiators with Lightsabers. They had no challengers to their "power". They had no rivals that could fight them on equal footing. Lightsabers were little more than a Jedi's badge. Their power had stagnated and atrophied. Hence the relative ease with which Palpatine was able to mask the presence of he and his apprentices.

That doesn't mean the jedi of the PT era's power had stagnated Palpatine was the strongest sith lord in history so obviously he was able to mask himself from the entire jedi order, its already G-canon that their peak was during the PT era. You don't need constant war or fighting to better your skills, training is just as good. In fact its better because without constant war, more powerful jedi can rise up instead of being cut down every time they get thrown into a battle. Training also can help skills improve, whereas the battle your not thinking of improving your skills, your just using your knowledge of what you know to beat the opponent.

Just because the PT era jedi haven't been in a war up until the Clone Wars, doesn't mean they grew weak at all. If that were true, then they wouldn't have some of the finest jedi in the history of the order.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi