Game runs far far too hot.

tormentuk

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your computer is the issue, not the game OP. Your computer is too weak to run the game and so it has to run at 100% all the time, and since your computer appears to have inadequate cooling capabilities, it is overheating. Again, this is not the fault of BW, but rather your computer, because it is a pile of junk.

Please don't come drippling in topics if you cannot relate to the issue in hand. their is nothing wrong with how my pc handles the game, read my other posts, i have explained my cooling is probably better than 90% of the people currently running swtor.

It'd be helpful if people dropped the bad advice and stopped saying "it's your computer". When your fan kicks into lawnblower mode in SWToR character select screen but is whisper quiet in comparison when running games like Skyrim or APB with all the bells and whistles maxed, something is going on outside the player's control.

Clearly your not familiar with the HAF series of cases. I use one as well and they are equipped with the following:

200mm front fan (intake)

200mm top fan (exhaust)

200mm side fan (optional)

120mm rear fan (exhaust)

There is no reason for hardware to run hot in a HAF... especially when the OP is using a water cooler for his CPU (I would assume he's using a sealed unit such as a Corsair H80, in which case he has the radiator mounted on the rear of the case where the 120mm rear exhaust fan goes).

To the OP, when is the last time you took out and cleaned the air filters on the front of the case? The HAF's all have air filter's installed on the front of the case which can get clogged up from time to time, which would impede intake airflow.

i take my cards air them and rotate them every other week.

i take my cards air them and rotate them every other week.

I'm not referring to the video cards... I'm referring to the mesh-like material that is located just inside the front bezel of the case in front of the 200mm intake fan. That material can be taken out and washed, to remove all the dust and stuff that gets clogged up in there.

Please don't come drippling in topics if you cannot relate to the issue in hand. their is nothing wrong with how my pc handles the game, read my other posts, i have explained my cooling is probably better than 90% of the people currently running swtor.

Yet 90% aren't have the issue you are having. Strange that.

Currently in some high-fps areas, like inside Phases, on your ship, in lonely questing areas, the game will reach 100+ FPS, this problem gets worse on faster PC's.

This pushes your rig, video cards specifically, to 100% usage rending frames you cannot see.

The problem is not that the game is demanding, it's that your hardware is killing itself for no reason. I'm assuming you have a 60hz monitor like most people.

Enabling vsync should solve that issue or at least help, since the game will cap itself to 60fps (depends on your monitor).

You can also use some kind of DX Injector to limit the game to 60fps... There are many ways to do this unfortunately they might trigger cheat detection, so it's probably a good idea to not use them.

Yet 90% aren't have the issue you are having. Strange that.

Well my GTX570 runs at 70C (40 idle), but that's how hot it runs for every high-end game. But, I have a mini-ATX case and that temperature is just fine since the maximum range is a bit over 100C.

ya the game runs hot, not cuz its old but rather new i got a amd phenom II X6 3.3ghz 1100t turbo 3.7ghz, over clock to 4.1ghz

at desk top core temp is 38c in game for an hr 49c(120f) to 50c no big not a problem thow, 60c is when they say to do something about it, performance goes down. melting is at 90c i just use regular fans, Im thinking about useing a coolant system to run it down to 30c during game play.

People seem to be missing the point. My card tops out at about 53C when playing SWToR. However, that doesn't change the fact that it maxes out at much cooler temperatures when playing many other games that seem far more graphically impressive and demanding. It's stupidly obvious that, when playing this game, things are going to get uncomfortable for players with cards that run somewhat hotter to begin with.

The real question is this: Why is a game that seems so graphically simplistic compared to other modern games running hotter than those same modern games, especially in silly areas like character select and your ship's interior?

Edited by Apax

People seem to be missing the point. My card tops out at about 53C when playing SWToR. However, that doesn't change the fact that it maxes out at much cooler temperatures when playing many other games that seem far more graphically impressive and demanding. It's stupidly obvious that, when playing this game, things are going to get uncomfortable for players with cards that run somewhat hotter to begin with.

If it's topping at 53C then that means you have at least another 40C of breathing room.

I let all of my video cards run at 85C to 90C consistently... so what?

My cards will artifact at 75c+ its normal max range in games is around 60, that is when i push my own oc on to the card. I currently have it set to suppliers over clocked state.

And yes i am having to manually raise my cards fans to above 70%. I do not need to set up my own profiles in riv tuner, this is the only game on the face of the earth as far as i know, causing this to my pc.

I'm not sure if I just got super awesome 460's or what, but mine can get up to 85 and have no artifacting.

I seem to have the same GPU setup as you, but also a i7 950. The game doesn't push my PC to crazy high temps, so I am guessing it might be some setting or something on your rig. Just a guess could be wrong. Hope you're able to get it fixed before it causes you to much worry.

I like the people trying to tell the OP it's his PC when he clearly states he can run much much better looking games at ultra. It is an issue with the game, I'm in the same boat, I can play anything out today max fine, but tor overheats my PC to the point it shuts down, if I try to max it out. I didn't have the issue until recent patch, I wonder if it has to do with the addition of AA.

You asked:

If it's topping at 53C then that means you have at least another 40C of breathing room.

I let all of my video cards run at 85C to 90C consistently... so what?

I said:

..It's stupidly obvious that, when playing this game, things are going to get uncomfortable for players with cards that run somewhat hotter to begin with.

The real question is this: Why is a game that seems so graphically simplistic compared to other modern games running hotter than those same modern games, especially in silly areas like character select and your ship's interior?

I don't care if the original poster sits his case in an active oven while playing games, if the temps on the card are still getting hotter in SWToR than they are in other more impressive games, then how he is or isn't cooling his card is a moot point.

Edited by Apax

If you have vsync off then I already answered you.

Based on the problem with high temps @ char selection, it sounds like I hit the nail on the head.

While a reasonable suspicion that I've heard suggested elsewhere, I never run games without vsync enabled. So, no.