Will lack of innovation REALLY hurt this game success?

relapes

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People aren't on their knees begging much innovation from FPS as they are from MMOs (LOOK AT GW2 CROWD).

Well they should be :D. The casual crowd is a different animal.

Someday, we will look at EQ or Ultima as Doom and perhaps TOR or another MMO as Battlefield 3 (or whatever milestone you choose).

MMOs are a (slightly?) younger genre than FPS and have yet to have enough time to stray from the norm. Plus, you have to look at the rate at which MMOs come out vs. FPSs. Higher dev costs plus longer cycles equals slower evolution.

Maybe we can say the WoW was the "GoldenEye 007" of the MMO Genre, but have we hit the "Halo" phase or "Call of Duty" phase? I'm not sure.

It's a good game and I pre-ordered but honestly, my firends and I all agreed that we'll be done when Guild Wars II is released. That game sets a new standard for "Next Gen" games.

Nice to know at least some people around here are realistic about this game. /highfive

Swtors will be fun for at least 3-6 months no doubt.

I'm really glad mythic devs worked on PVP. Nice to use guard and taunt again.

You went from 'I think this is a quality game in many aspects" to that? Pattern of a troll, you switch opinions like a cheap girl switches preservatives.

Are you drunk? What is your problem tonight?

I'm trying to have a conversation and all you do is troll. I'm just blocking you. GLHF

Nice to know at least some people around here are realistic about this game. /highfive

Agree with you=/realistic, get off your imaginary high horse and listen to my point.

Wait so he's "Realistic" for not believing in the games longevity yet I'm not for doing the same thing about GW2?

Again its far more realistic to expect SWTOR to have FAR more longevity then GW2.

Are you drunk? What is your problem tonight?

I'm trying to have a conversation and all you do is troll. I'm just blocking you. GLHF

HAHAH ME THE TROLL? Your the one preaching about a different game and bashing the game the forum is based on.

I'm not the one spouting GW2 propaganda on a SWTOR site.

I don't care whether you play or not. But your hype and expectation of GW2 will come crashing in flames. Especially if the reports of the few who have played it are true.

can you post these negative reports please? I would love to see them.

Starting to compare MMOS to FPS is like having sex with your mother-in-law! She is also a woman but you know it's not the right thing to do.

This 2 sectors shouldn't even be brought together. Not even in terms of marketing sales, future development or player fan base.

[Voice acting is what makes questing, something that has been considered a bore for the longest time interesting, I dont think you realize how big of a leap forward it is, or maybe you dont care for aspects like that in a multiplayer game which is just fine.

This.....I can't stand questing in WOW. The voice acting totally had me into the game when I was in Beta. I like the PVP instances and combat was working well. The artwork is good. I do enjoy the companion system. I haven't played end-game PVE yet but from what I saw on youtube, it looked fun and challenging. I'll reserve full judgement when I experience endgame but so far so good.

[Voice acting is what makes questing, something that has been considered a bore for the longest time interesting, I dont think you realize how big of a leap forward it is, or maybe you dont care for aspects like that in a multiplayer game which is just fine.

This.....I can't stand questing in WOW. The voice acting totally had me into the game when I was in Beta. I like the PVP instances and combat was working well. The artwork is good. I do enjoy the companion system. I haven't played end-game PVE yet but from what I saw on youtube, it looked fun and challenging. I'll reserve full judgement when I experience endgame but so far so good.

Normal mode isnt hard

but the harder difficulties are...

What the title says.

I know I probably will get a lot of "no" because this place being rampant with fanboys, but I think similarities to WoW will hurt this game for a lot of people.

Here's something I wrote a while back....

September 12, 2004

Dear Blizzard:

I’ve been seeing previews of your new “World of Warcraft” game, and I think you’re wasting the rumored 50 million dollars you’ve put into it. It’s nothing but a clone of the market leader, Everquest, and there’s really no way you can overcome the huge advantage EQ has on you in terms of subscriber base and development time. They’ve had over five years to constantly refine and improve the game experience; you’ll be starting out where they were five years ago, and doing nothing but playing catch-up. You’ve got the same “Go kill 10 rats” gameplay and the same endgame, except you have almost no raid content ready and I hear that your “innovative” PVP system, using the same “instancing” technology that Everquest implemented years ago in their Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion, will not be ready at launch. Only something totally new and radical will work — have you considered making it over into a twitch-based FPS game? Just doing what’s already proven to be popular and genre defining, but doing it better, cleaner, sharper, and faster, is no recipe for success. Originality is far more important than competence, and building on your competitors work and taking advantage of all they’ve learned the hard way, and then bettering it, is a foolish gambit. Only the totally new and totally unproven, especially if it’s not what customers have previously demonstrated they’re willing to pay for, will win the game. You may want to look at Tabula Rasa, which has been in development since 2001 and will probably release soon. It’s so original and groundbreaking even the developers aren’t entirely sure what kind of game they’re making — that kind of shattering of genre boundaries is the best way to have a mega-hit. I feel sorry for the developers, artists, and so on who will be laid off when World of Warcraft bombs, dismissed as just another Everquest clone in a field already crowded with them (Asheron’s Call, Dark Age Of Camelot, Horizons, etc). I wish you luck — you’re going to need it.

Normal mode isnt hard

but the harder difficulties are...

After 1 year of changing toons and trying different classes you will pray for a ''skip animation button''. Trust me.

You obviously have no idea what your talking about.

Watch this and tell me how wrong I am?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs

Ok, you're wrong.

A) That obnoxious voice over in that video just annoys me. (Obviously not a game issue, same as the fact he spends a minute or so of the video talking about WoW)

B) He talks of technical issues for his first few points... Soundtrack is something to be excited about? I love the SW soundtrack, doesn't mean thats a selling point to me here, we're talking Gameplay. Content you can take above your level? Umm...I even remember doing that in UO as a Journeyman mage with a group of people.... and that was 1997...

C) Dynamic events.... Yeah... Who HASN'T tried that? How it works is yet to be proven. Dynamic Combat.... There's only so many ways this can work, again we won't know till release.

D) No monthly fee. Yes, this is a plus, always has been for the GW and others like it, but I don't really classify them as MMO's any more than Diablo 2 was an MMO. The cities may hold a load of people, but they're glorified lobbies in my opinion.

My main point, is while I don't consider Guild WArs or it's sequel to be BAD (Can't judge the second one till I've had time with it), you're deluded if you think they're "Next Gen" in ANY WAY! Christ, even WoW just took what was done before and polished it.... GW2 does nothing new gameplay wise, it just makes it shinier.

Here's something I wrote a while back....

September 12, 2004

Dear Blizzard:

I’ve been seeing previews of your new “World of Warcraft” game, and I think you’re wasting the rumored 50 million dollars you’ve put into it. It’s nothing but a clone of the market leader, Everquest, and there’s really no way you can overcome the huge advantage EQ has on you in terms of subscriber base and development time. They’ve had over five years to constantly refine and improve the game experience; you’ll be starting out where they were five years ago, and doing nothing but playing catch-up. You’ve got the same “Go kill 10 rats” gameplay and the same endgame, except you have almost no raid content ready and I hear that your “innovative” PVP system, using the same “instancing” technology that Everquest implemented years ago in their Lost Dungeons of Norrath expansion, will not be ready at launch. Only something totally new and radical will work — have you considered making it over into a twitch-based FPS game? Just doing what’s already proven to be popular and genre defining, but doing it better, cleaner, sharper, and faster, is no recipe for success. Originality is far more important than competence, and building on your competitors work and taking advantage of all they’ve learned the hard way, and then bettering it, is a foolish gambit. Only the totally new and totally unproven, especially if it’s not what customers have previously demonstrated they’re willing to pay for, will win the game. You may want to look at Tabula Rasa, which has been in development since 2001 and will probably release soon. It’s so original and groundbreaking even the developers aren’t entirely sure what kind of game they’re making — that kind of shattering of genre boundaries is the best way to have a mega-hit. I feel sorry for the developers, artists, and so on who will be laid off when World of Warcraft bombs, dismissed as just another Everquest clone in a field already crowded with them (Asheron’s Call, Dark Age Of Camelot, Horizons, etc). I wish you luck — you’re going to need it.

Its funny in that article its like an analogy

WoW= SWTOR

gw2=Tiribula Rasa

WHICH ONE WON IN THE END?

can you post these negative reports please? I would love to see them.

Go to rock paper shotgun for one. I find it funny when people expect me to go back and drag up all the reviews i've read just to prove to one person on the forums what I saw.

I don't care whether you believe me or not. I'm not gonna go hunting to prove to you what I already saw. Which won't change your opinion anyways. You will see negative reports about it yourself in due time.

The others were in off sites. Pretty much look up anyone who has actually played the game. I've yet to see a positive review of it. I'm sure I'll see some too.

You wouldn't love to see them so don't lie. Even if I go hunt them down you will spout irrelevent crap about innovation and whatever you can think of to dismiss it anyways.

The game is reported to be far more of an MMO then it cares to admit. The combat has been noted to be similar accept without the different roles to make classes really interesting. As I stated earlier reports of PvE are supposedly pitiful. PvP is the main draw here. Its not as if other games haven't tried to incorperate real time combat into an MMO. SEE: AoC.