Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Will lack of innovation REALLY hurt this game success?

relapes

It is 3 factions.

Actually it's 3 servers vs each other.

Every 2 weeks they switch servers and you compete for dominance. Winners get server wide buffs.

Is there an AOE mez and PBAOE so I can run another 8 man kill team that spams the entire zone with death spam after killing 200 people in 5 seconds? :D

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't argue any of these points. I do think GW2 will be more about pvp than most people care to enjoy.

also If I have read dev posts saying that LOL is a model they're trying to follow. The way they've limited the amount of skills available for instance. Anyone who plays lol knows you can have very deep combat meta with as little as 6 skills.

I do agree the pve aspect is over done for both games. Gw2 is doing something very similiar with voice acted stories and I think this is a mistake but so be it. One thing i do know is they aren't sinking nearly as much money into that aspect of the game as BW did.

Yeah, it may be bad but i would rather be hopeful for a game that isn't out yet than pretend a game that is out is better than it actually is.

I'm not saying Swtors is bad at all. I think it's quality for the most part. What I am saying though is that hotbar combat needs to move on and evolve.

Swtors while being Mcdonalds is still good if you stop thinking about it. I'm still waiting though for my Filet Mignon.

SWTOR is hotbar combat, but its done very well, that all that should matter to people. But I guess its not perfect enough to fill the gaping holes inside them, SWTOR is the grand finale of traditional MMOs, and I don't think GW2 is the new beginning regardless of the hype they build around it. Hotbar isn't generic, it can be done in a generic sense (WoW) but swtor works with it very well.

I prefer traditional but done very well over original and decent.

Iv done enough to know what I'm talking about. Believe me or don't. What do I care? Anyways you are pretty much proving my points here. GW2 does let you have max level toons at level 1. Which will, in my view from here, get utterly repetative and make leveling pointless. Strange you will probably spend upwards of $500 on GW2 while, in the same time frame, I will recieve continuous content rollouts and updates for likely a fifth of that cost.

End Game is PvP. I am not interested in pvp and neither are most of the people I know. I like it to be present as a fun distraction though. Plus this game has endgame pvp and raiding anyways. Don't want to be part of an E-sport. Especially because I mostly am uninterested in PvP.

I'm talking about normal players who aren't going to want to get into GW2 to be a PvP E sport. For those that just want to play the game, trust me, it will get dull quickly. Classes have no unique roles in combat, just different forms of damage damage damage heal. Quests are completely random and will really only equate to "ZOMG THERES GOBLINS IN THE CAVE! KILL THEM" Their bosses are impressive yet the encounters are not.

The bosses just seem to flail their arms around while from what I've actually seen of flashpoints the bosses are quite epic encounters.

In the end though the appeals of the two games are different as night and day and they actually can live in harmony believe it or not. SWTOR is far more story oriented and can be thought of as a ME universe that is alive and vibrant with coop experiences that the player can partake in throughout. The PvE is intensely refined to almost no competition. The combat mechanics work very well, the animations are flawless. Every class has different mechanics which is hugely innovative (SEE: the smuggler cover mechanics). It is just more for me.

GW2 looks and (according to those that have played it) feels like an AoC with heavy PvP emphasis similar to WAR's. You get in for the PvP. I've so far heard the PvE is pitiful and at times close to non existant. With players wondering for hours to not find any quests due to them all being completed. People spawning known quest areas and such. This is a PvP game through and through. If you like that then cool. I don't and I like my unique roles in combat.

But here's my point League of Legends has dwarfed WOW. The majority of players want casual pvp. LOL has proven this. Raiding is dying. Has been for years and RIFT really proved it.

SO if LOL has 16 million users it would seem that their model is working well? It's casual, addictive, Cost of entry is low.

PVP is all you do in LOL. PVP is the entire game and it is the most popular game in the world now.

Is there an AOE mez and PBAOE so I can run another 8 man kill team that spams the entire zone with death spam after killing 200 people in 5 seconds? :D

They just released the final class, the Mesmer. But I don't think we will ever see CC effects like DAOC had ever again in a mmo.

I appreciate your sarcasm though.;)

But here's my point League of Legends has dwarfed WOW. The majority of players want casual pvp. LOL has proven this. Raiding is dying. Has been for years and RIFT really proved it.

SO if LOL has 16 million users it would seem that their model is working well? It's casual, addictive, Cost of entry is low.

PVP is all you do in LOL. PVP is the entire game and it is the most popular game in the world now.

Most popular game in the entire world? LOL :rolleyes:

RIFT is a bad example, why do you use it so profusely? Most MMO players are PVE players, having a fair balance of PVE and PVP is far more successful then being all for one, when it comes to MMOs (LOL is a moba).

You can be essentially a WoW clone at launch and still innovate.

Look at Rift. Pretty much synonymous with the term "WoW clone" and yet look at how much they've managed to innovate within the existing framework and differentiate themselves from the WoW mold. SWTOR could try to do the same.

You can be essentially a WoW clone at launch and still innovate.

Look at Rift. Pretty much synonymous with the term "WoW clone" and yet look at how much they've managed to innovate within the existing framework and differentiate themselves from the WoW mold. SWTOR could try to do the same.

Yeah and RIFT is only going steadily downhill with 500k subs...............

Its F2P nature does that of course, that does not mean every game should go full on PVP though, it is just absurd.

I'm not saying every game shoudl be full pvp. GW2 isnt full pvp either. Not many games are. My point is only me being realistic about the mmo and pc gaming world.

You're kidding your self if you think any standard mmo is ever going to reach the heights wow did. Swtors may do well but it's not going to kill WOW with the same combat mechanics WOW has.

I don't really understand why people have to be insulting when I'm just saying it like it is. I understand you want a game to be succesful but be honest. Voice acting does not a mmo make.

I'm not saying every game shoudl be full pvp. GW2 isnt full pvp either. Not many games are. My point is only me being realistic about the mmo and pc gaming world.

You're kidding your self if you think any standard mmo is ever going to reach the heights wow did. Swtors may do well but it's not going to kill WOW with the same combat mechanics WOW has.

I don't really understand why people have to be insulting when I'm just saying it like it is. I understand you want a game to be succesful but be honest. Voice acting does not a mmo make.

I'd be fine with TOR sitting a 1 million subs for the rest of its life, honestly.

Edited by Jaku

No MMO will ever reach WoW's height ever again, MMOs have been opened into the mainstream now because of WoW, so having another monopoly for MMOs anywhere close to what had is VERY unlikely.

WoW is being sliced into pieces, chest in going to SWTOR, legs and arms to GW2, the fingers to League of Legends, etc, noone is going to get the majority of it anymore.

Voice acting is what makes questing, something that has been considered a bore for the longest time interesting, I dont think you realize how big of a leap forward it is, or maybe you dont care for aspects like that in a multiplayer game which is just fine.

Edited by relapes

You're not nearly as smart, observant, or clairvoyant as you think you are.

Yeah and RIFT is only going steadily downhill with 500k subs...............

I can't wait till you eat those words about this game....

Give it 6 months. This game will bleed just like RIFT. I would be shocked if it doesn't.

(and Rift is bleeding subs because it is just like this game and WOW. Reskinning a game doesn't make it "good" If companions are honestly enough to keep you playing longer than 6 months than I salute you.

I won't argue any of these points. I do think GW2 will be more about pvp than most people care to enjoy.

also If I have read dev posts saying that LOL is a model they're trying to follow. The way they've limited the amount of skills available for instance. Anyone who plays lol knows you can have very deep combat meta with as little as 6 skills.

I do agree the pve aspect is over done for both games. Gw2 is doing something very similiar with voice acted stories and I think this is a mistake but so be it. One thing i do know is they aren't sinking nearly as much money into that aspect of the game as BW did.

Yeah, it may be bad but i would rather be hopeful for a game that isn't out yet than pretend a game that is out is better than it actually is.

I'm not saying Swtors is bad at all. I think it's quality for the most part. What I am saying though is that hotbar combat needs to move on and evolve.

Swtors while being Mcdonalds is still good if you stop thinking about it. I'm still waiting though for my Filet Mignon.

We've been waiting for years, I think this game is the best yet thought perhaps a New York Strip? lol :D

I can't wait till you eat those words about this game....

Give it 6 months. This game will bleed just like RIFT. I would be shocked if it doesn't.

(and Rift is bleeding subs because it is just like this game and WOW. Reskinning a game doesn't make it "good" If companions are honestly enough to keep you playing longer than 6 months than I salute you.

You think your really really really smart hahahahahhhah

You have not been listening have you, RIFT was doing just fine and it is 110% WoW clone, it is going downhill because of very poor design choices post launch that are angering many players (especially class changes), RIFT never had as much going for it as SWTOR has or GW2 has, you are not seeing the big picture.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.