Increase character slots per server

Crackseed

Aloha,

I figure that while the game is still very fresh and it's not likely we've maxed out 8 characters at 50, I do believe Bioware should give consideration to upping the amount of character slots per server.

8 may seem like a good amount but when you consider that if you do 1 of each storyline, this WILL max your character slots out for a server, and that doesn't even take into account that many of us will play 1 of each AC for a given class. I love my Commando, but I've been wanting to fuss around with a Vanguard. Which I can't do because I have names saved for each of the storylines, meaning I cannot work on a Vanguard unless I go to another server, which defeats the point of hanging out with friends/questing with new faces on my current one.

Again, I don't think it's a doomsday issue at all, but I don't think giving say, 10 slots per server would be that difficult either and would give a bit more room for people to play around with character types :)

Thanks for reading!

PS: I did a quick search and didn't see a similar thread, but if I missed one my apologies!

Edited by Crackseed

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 slots is enough to try every AC on the same server. I don't understand the problem.

IF you are playing one faction only :) If you are doing 1 of each storyline [8 minimum - 4 repub, 4 imp] and then also want to dabble with various ACs, this is 9+

It's merely a request for consideration since I know I'm not the only one who's been talking about it. Again, it's not a make or break thing, but it seems like we could easily bump up to 10 slots for a little more wiggle room w/o it affecting anything negatively :)

IF you are playing one faction only :) If you are doing 1 of each storyline [8 minimum - 4 repub, 4 imp] and then also want to dabble with various ACs, this is 9+

If you're playing both sides of the fence, there's still only 8 ACs, which means 8 characters. If you have 4 characters on each side and still feel the need to roll more characters, you probably have more time on your hands than is healthy, or have a horrible case of alt-itis that Bioware isn't required to cater to.

If you're playing both sides of the fence, there's still only 8 ACs, which means 8 characters. If you have 4 characters on each side and still feel the need to roll more characters, you probably have more time on your hands than is healthy, or have a horrible case of alt-itis that Bioware isn't required to cater to.

And how in any way in the known galaxy does an increase in the number of character slots per server hurt or impact you at all? :confused:

Considering that the die(blow)hards posting against Dual Specs state "just roll a 2nd toon" as their mantra, having more than 8 slots is mandatory if people are seriously expected to level the same AC twice in order to have PvE and PvP specs without incurring insane daily respec costs.

But back to your post - what pooped in your wheaties that makes you come out all aggro against BW adding an additional 2 character slots per server?

And how in any way in the known galaxy does an increase in the number of character slots per server hurt or impact you at all? :confused:

I don't know anything about coding, so I couldn't tell you one way or the other. I'm not saying Bioware shouldn't do it, I'm simply stating why it's not necessary.

Considering that the die(blow)hards posting against Dual Specs state "just roll a 2nd toon" as their mantra, having more than 8 slots is mandatory if people are seriously expected to level the same AC twice in order to have PvE and PvP specs without incurring insane daily respec costs.

There's going to be a dual-spec eventually, so your strawman is irrelevant.

I don't know anything about coding, so I couldn't tell you one way or the other. I'm not saying Bioware shouldn't do it, I'm simply stating why it's not necessary.

I do know something about coding, and if they are halfway competent (debatable) this is an easy change, almost entirely a simple modification of a database table. The most complicated part of the request is resizing things on the Character Select Screen or adding a Scrollbar, which should take a competent junior developer about 20 minutes if they are insanely anal and triple-check their work :jawa_tongue:

There's going to be a dual-spec eventually, so your strawman is irrelevant.

It wasn't intended as a strawman argument at all. If you have any links showing proof that BW is adding Dual Spec, I'd love to see them as you just made my whole night :jawa_biggrin:

I would like more character slots as well. With Legacy and family options, it is much more epic to do a storyline spanning across multiple factions. Not to mention I have one of each class, but I also have them going opposite directions in choices (light/dark) so I can see the other options and mission choices that I get. Storyline does change depending on your choices, but you can't really experience it if unless you do different choices.

I do know something about coding, and if they are halfway competent (debatable) this is an easy change, almost entirely a simple modification of a database table. The most complicated part of the request is resizing things on the Character Select Screen or adding a Scrollbar, which should take a competent junior developer about 20 minutes if they are insanely anal and triple-check their work :jawa_tongue:

I don't think the problem is in the coding, I think it has to do with how much memory characters take in the database. However, as I said, I don't know jack about coding, so this is only a guess.

It wasn't intended as a strawman argument at all. If you have any links showing proof that BW is adding Dual Spec, I'd love to see them as you just made my whole night :jawa_biggrin:

About 2/3 of the way down the page.

I don't know if there is anything more recent, but that page is from September of last year, during one of the Friday updates.

More crafting/gathering alts causes an increased gap in between those who more time and those who have less (this gap should be there, of course, but it's size must be managed), making things easier for credit sellers (related to the previous item, partially), and more.

There's no such thing as a change without impact, and if you think you see one you just don't see the impact yet.

Change the colour of something and it has some impact (and that's excluding accessibility issues for the colourblind).

I don't think the problem is in the coding, I think it has to do with how much memory characters take in the database. However, as I said, I don't know jack about coding, so this is only a guess.

A single character should take relatively little memory at all, and even if that were a concern (which it shouldn't be) BW could still keep the maximum characters per account limit at 40. Trust me, in comparison to almost all the other suggestions and requests being made, this one is truly minimal when it comes to effort or feasibility.

I can agree it's not super-high-priority, but it should be a slam dunk for them if they ever decide to do it.

About 2/3 of the way down the page.

I don't know if there is anything more recent, but that page is from September of last year, during one of the Friday updates.

Thanks so much for the link! This really did make my night! :jawa_biggrin:

A single character should take relatively little memory at all, and even if that were a concern (which it shouldn't be) BW could still keep the maximum characters per account limit at 40. Trust me, in comparison to almost all the other suggestions and requests being made, this one is truly minimal when it comes to effort or feasibility.

I can agree it's not super-high-priority, but it should be a slam dunk for them if they ever decide to do it.

One character isn't going to do much, but what about one million characters? Assuming there are still over a million subscriptions, you're talking about giving more character slots to every single one of them. The small numbers add up, you know.

More crafting/gathering alts causes an increased gap in between those who more time and those who have less (this gap should be there, of course, but it's size must be managed), making things easier for credit sellers (related to the previous item, partially), and more.

Since with 8 Characters you can already more than cover every Crew Skill per Server I really don't see that as a huge issue (and with the relative worthlessness of Crafting compared to Commendation Gear... :rolleyes:)

I don't see the Credit Sellers point being a big issue either because (1) my previous point (2) they can only use one character per account at a time (3) BW has been pretty darn serious about nailing all these guys (4) keeping the Per Account Cap at 40 minimizes any impact to the game.

Having said that, I do appreciate you trying to present potential legitimate concerns :jawa_grin:

There's no such thing as a change without impact, and if you think you see one you just don't see the impact yet.

Change the colour of something and it has some impact (and that's excluding accessibility issues for the colourblind).

Believe me, I'm very much aware of unintended consequences. I just find this a relatively low risk one, especially since if BW ever introduces new Classes with new stories, people are going to demand this feature anyway :jawa_wink:

Since with 8 Characters you can already more than cover every Crew Skill per Server I really don't see that as a huge issue (and with the relative worthlessness of Crafting compared to Commendation Gear... :rolleyes:)

I don't see the Credit Sellers point being a big issue either because (1) my previous point (2) they can only use one character per account at a time (3) BW has been pretty darn serious about nailing all these guys (4) keeping the Per Account Cap at 40 minimizes any impact to the game.

It's a matter of amounts. Given the length of some of the Crew Skills missions and crafting times, a set of 16 characters can gather more components and craft more items than a group of 8 characters. That's just a fact. And that turns into credits. Which is why it's related to credit sellers.

And the actions of a greater number of characters is going to be less likely to be noticed in order to be actioned upon. The differences really dedicated player activity and credit seller behaviour wouldn't be as noticeable. That makes metric based detection much more difficult.

I think expanding it to 16 character slots would be cool solely because of the legacy system. Theres not really a lot of benefits to making different faction characters on a single server but the legacy system may well call that into question. Granted because much of the legacy system is a mystery at the point, and even when it is fully known we could probably debate the virtues/vices of it for a good while, but unless theres a severe problem with memory on that part its worth examining.

And the actions of a greater number of characters is going to be less likely to be noticed in order to be actioned upon. The differences really dedicated player activity and credit seller behaviour wouldn't be as noticeable. That makes metric based detection much more difficult.

They monitor by account. BW's actually done a really good job in that department. I appreciate your concerns, and if they are truly valid BW will be in the best position to know and decide, but I really don't think they are that serious.

They monitor by account. BW's actually done a really good job in that department. I appreciate your concerns, and if they are truly valid BW will be in the best position to know and decide, but I really don't think they are that serious.

That's gonna be a yes and no. You need character level details too - say, filtering for Operatives, for example, or Operatives with X points in Y, or getting damage A in time slice B where ability C is/is not involved. The spread across additional characters, however, changes the behaviour patterns - which is what can become harder to distinguish.

Edited by Inarai

Posted this in another thread on the same subject:

I fully support this. And to be honest if you think 40 slots on 5 servers is enough you are an idiot. This game has a legacy system which encourage collecting your characters on one server, not five. Therefore you need to be able to have characters suiting all eight ACs on both factions, plus extras. 8 is far from reasonable, 20 should be the bare minimum. I am quite sure some are thinking "that's nuts!" and it is not, think long-term... At some point the altoholics like me will hit the 8 hard-cap (I am there now, one of each AC, but lacking crew skills on both sides), and we will sit in the uncomfortable situation of doing either:

- Delete a character (all your time invested goes FWOOOSH)

- Move to a new server (you abandon the social community that, most likely, keeps you hooked onto the game more than you realise)

- Grow bored and quit

Either way it is a loss for Bioware, and in the end EA financially if the hardcap is not increased in some fashion - either by a micro-transaction or universally.

Edited by Sotof

Greyfield, your math needs some work. And thanks for suggesting I have more time on my hands then is healthy, which is not the case. I simply am thinking forward, since my main is played with my g/f and I tend to fuss with character projects, especially given both the story elements per class and the legacy system perks coming down the pipe.

If you figure 1 of each AC + 1 of each class per faction, that's 16 characters. Granted, I think 10 or even 12 slots would probably be MORE then enough, but if you're doing 1 of each story arc, this leaves you no room for any other ACs within a given class as you're now capped out.

Case in point, a couple extra slots would probably be more then reasonable and thus why I posted a suggestion/request for consideration. Simple :)

Greyfield, your math needs some work. And thanks for suggesting I have more time on my hands then is healthy, which is not the case. I simply am thinking forward, since my main is played with my g/f and I tend to fuss with character projects, especially given both the story elements per class and the legacy system perks coming down the pipe.

If you figure 1 of each AC + 1 of each class per faction, that's 16 characters. Granted, I think 10 or even 12 slots would probably be MORE then enough, but if you're doing 1 of each story arc, this leaves you no room for any other ACs within a given class as you're now capped out.

Case in point, a couple extra slots would probably be more then reasonable and thus why I posted a suggestion/request for consideration. Simple :)

I agree. They could add more slots. As I already have them full (one for each story-line) I would like to be able to create at least 2 or 3 more characters, just because I love to role-play and it'd be really nice to have another race/class combination (which will be possible through the legacy system, right?) for my RP moments and gameplay experience. It can't hurt anyone.

I hope they'll add at least a couple of slots. :-)

Regards,

Erethrorn