Tracer Missile, bane of my bounty hunter.

Qwertram

Hello, I recently started playing a bounty hunter as arsenal, and things were going great... until I got Tracer Missile. I mean, the physical effects are great and all but, the animation. As Peter Griffin would put it, really grinds my gears. Now this is a rant post, and a post to see how many of you feel the same about it. I mean I hate the fact that you bend over, play around and fire a missile from your back, perhaps some of you like that. I mean, alot can say well why not just play pyrotech but, with Arsenal seeming to be the endgame pve specc I thought I'd try and get used to it. I spoke to a couple of other Arsenal bounty hunters and they seemed to hate it too so I just thought I would see what my fellow bounty hunters thought about it here. Thanks for reading and I look forward to a future of rockets fired from my backpack.. woohoo

It does damage...

I couldn't care less about the animation. I don't have enough time in PvP to care about the aesthetics of my characters look like as I'm trying to end another players life for the time being.

No offense, you kinda remind me of Mac users. If it's not simple and elegant than it's garbage, like when they got Steam and they all protested that it didn't look sleek enough for their taste.

Bounty hunters are rugged guys who get the job done no matter the cost. Would it be better if his "backpack" as you call it was made by Louis Vuitton?

um... You're shooting a missile off your back @ a person standing in front of you, thus you'd aim the missile by leaning forward. The bent legs are 2fold, 1 to compensate for the thrust of the missile and allow you to keep your balance, & 2 because you'd move into & out of that position quickly in a fight as opposed to any other option that would allow you to fire rockets from your back.

learn to love it because later on it frees up (and buffs the damage) on unload, and stacks up heat sigs that can give you a huge damage buff on heat seekers. 5xTM and I can get heat seekers to hit for over 2.5K all the time, plus each TM does about 1k as well, all in pvp.

It does damage...

I couldn't care less about the animation.

so 10k single hit with rainbow-ray would be legit?

jk :>

but anyway the topic is just about the looks of it and i can understand why ppl dont like to see their char bendover

SW_BH has a good point that such a massive rocket lift-off needs an addapted stance...what bothers me is that this rocket more or less becomes your main ability and you get to bendover again and again...

Edited by SixtyNineEyes

This ability is actually why I am hesitant to make a mercenary. I just don't like the idea of my character becoming a walking missile battery. I mean sure, a couple of missiles are cool, even the tracer missile is a cool idea and I approve of it, but not when it's spammed like it is. Where is your character keeping all those missiles?

Does anyone know how Thermal Detonator stacks up against Tracer Missile? I'd roll one if I could go Pyrotech, but if I'm gonna end up spamming tracer missile anyway, I'd rather not. Yes, this ability bugs me that much.

I mean seriously, Jango Fett did it one time. I feel like the ability attached to this animation should be heavy hitting and long cooldown, so it's satisfying when you do fire it off.

Edit: Well, actually, I wouldn't mind this ability if I looked like this http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_hpnzTY89-tA/TI2wfCoDVYI/AAAAAAAAATE/eOR0ErJnRVU/s1600/Cyclone+Missile+Terminator.JPG

Edit 2: Moving my question of thermal detonator vs tracer missile to the mercenary subforum with its own thread

Edited by TrollBerzerker

Idea: Switch animation from the Heatseeker missiles (alternatively Fusion Missile?) to the Tracer Missile! So we dont look so silly while standing still and dpsing.

Makes sense with the laser targetting on the current Fusion Missile, you calibrate your aiming with the laz0rs for future heatseekers. Seeing as Fusion Missile is the heaviest hitting one when you add the dot damage in I think it makes sense it could be the bigass rocket on your back.

Edited by Beiken

Idea: Switch animation from the Heatseeker missiles (alternatively Fusion Missile?) to the Tracer Missile! So we dont look so silly while standing still and dpsing.

Makes sense with the laser targetting on the current Fusion Missile, you calibrate your aiming with the laz0rs for future heatseekers. Seeing as Fusion Missile is the heaviest hitting one when you add the dot damage in I think it makes sense it could be the bigass rocket on your back.

This makes the most sense and has been suggested by lots of people in lots of threads since beta. Fusion or heatseeker should be the heavy duty rocket pack missile since they do the most dmg, tracer should use the fusion or missile blast animation since they are smaller ones you spam. It just seems so obvious I dont know why it was even conceived like the way it is now.

I am still leveling and just got tracer missile. I don't have a problem with the animation - I have a problem seeing the animation over and over and over and over again. My poor bounty hunter is going to have some serious lower-back issues by the time he hits 30.

so 10k single hit with rainbow-ray would be legit?

jk :>

but anyway the topic is just about the looks of it and i can understand why ppl dont like to see their char bendover

SW_BH has a good point that such a massive rocket lift-off needs an addapted stance...what bothers me is that this rocket more or less becomes your main ability and you get to bendover again and again...

that hit could be called "the care bear stare" hahah

anyway, you get used to it, it aint no big thing, it is just odd at first

For me the animation makes perfectly sense. Imagine yourself shooting off missile after missile from your underarm. There are a couple of problems with this:

- To have a recoil-less firing you have to let the exhaust out of the back of the firing mechanism, that's straight into your face with your arm straight and aiming. (Animation wise)

- Even if recoil-less its never completely still and your arm will shake somewhat. After a while i would imagine one becoming seriously tired in the arm.

- If not recoil-less the problem will be even worse...

On the other hand having it fire from your back you negate all of the above negative effects. You take the brunt of the force on your strongest part of your body, legs and back.

Fusion missiles and Explosive darts are only fired now and then and are thus manageable to shoot from your underarm.

Good work Bioware, you got it right on the first try!