Powerful force users acting weak?

Kithe

I been watching star wars movies and series while waiting for my early access invitation. While doing so I have noticed that powerful force users as Obi-Wan can lift heavy rocks with ease, but has to really focus to retrieve his dropped lightsaber.

Does anyone know or have a entertaining idea about this? You would think if he could move around 1-200kg rocks a 1-2kg lightsaber would be childsplay...

The force has a physical exhertion on a persons body in Star Wars :p So it would depend on whether or not they're fatigued from battle, age etc.

There's also that Jedi humble themselves and practice restraint. They're pretty much taught that although they have the advantage of the force, it makes them no different from everyone else (so you can assume they'd rather pick something up with their own hands and such).

In someone like Sidious's case... he'd only ever feign weakness to achieve a darker ultimatum.

Edited by Oonkeh_

Some form of quantum mechanics perhaps? Well if that is the case, how come they always look more focused on the smaller objects and seems to deal with the larger more relaxed? I guess it's mostly to make the scene more dramatic, just funny seeing how they seem to be able to move large objects around with ease and still need to look at and focus on something small and trivial as a lightsaber.

While someone may grab a rock and fling it at an enemy you might want to be a little more precise when drawing something into your hand. If I just yank at it and it blasts off my hand because I pulled too hard it's a problem.

Yanking too hard and pulling off is bad.

Yoda, one of the great force users, had to withdraw from his duel with Count Dooku in order to save Obi-wan and Anakin from a large falling pillar. I'm not saying your observation is completely invalid, just stating an instance from the other end of the spectrum.

Maybe it's a matter of having an exhausted focus meter? /shrug

Edited by DellaFoh

In the scene you are most likely talking about, the fight with Darth Maul, the saber was also out of his line of sight...and he was hanging on for dear life...and he was preparing to force chin-up his way out of that hole.

I'd think that would take quite a lot of focus.

Edited by Terraphon

On another note, I liked how Yoda and Sidious spin the Senate Pods before hurling them at one another, as anyone who knows about physics will tell you, a rotating object carries more momentum.

the spin is so the pod keeps a straight trajectory.... like a Frisbee.

dude.. 1) its a movie.. and 2) its like the Superman movies/cartoons/comics

Superman can push a freakin planet, but have hard time lifting a car or a building...

Although, ( for the uber superman fan boi), you can say it all depends on his relative absorption of sunlight.. but come on.... O_O

Same reason why no force user ever thinks to crush their opponent's lightsaber. It's a movie.

No. It's explained in the EU. Every force user is constantly holding a barrier around themselves to block against force attacks. It's why hardly anyone is killed directly. To make a direct attack on a jedi/sith. You have to break their concentration momentarily or brute force your way through their defenses. This is why between two jedi every now and then one might get a push off or a choke or in some extreme cases overpower them completely.

Finally most of the time you see them struggling to pull a lightsaber is after a battle against another force sensitive. In which case they're already being worn out from the fight and using their force powers.

Edited by Rhyltran

it's funny watching you ppl trying to find a logical explanation to a fact which has it's source in the movie's dramatic effect :D

The logical explanation has been stated in various novels. It may have originally be used for "Dramatic effect" but the title is a question so people are trying to address it with a lore appropriate answer.