Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

a question for some of you 'MMO All-Stars'

jsdcaedus

If there's one thing the Rift macro system did right, it was cut down on the amount of keybinds and hotbar space you needed to play effectively.

I am seriously hurting for hotbar space right now, so if it takes making the game a little more easy-mode to alleviate this problem, I'm all for it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They've got a few points in common, but there's a vast difference between copying a build, and being able to put nearly all of your abilities on one spammable button and having the computer figure out which order to use them all in. One is much more of a crutch than the other, for fairly obvious reasons.

Just so we're clear, I don't think the pro-macro crowd is wanting all-in-one buttons. Let's throw that Red Herring out.

First I am pro basic macros

Second your last paragraph, considering the rest of your posts is completlly wrong and does not help the cause. You DO NOT need to know your class to setup a macro, you can just copy and past it from somewhere. Also in games like wow you could play the game from that one button, at least for some time.

You can copy talent trees and rotations from a website just as easily. Why aren't we arguing against this? I guarantee you that knowing how to properly misdirect means not only knowing your class, but also understanding those around you.

And I'm not aware of any spec in WoW having even been able to run with a one button macro. The closest to my knowledge was BM Hunters in BC, and when they did it the result was piss poor dps.

The problem with the wow macro system was how wow classes worked. Most did not have innate procs to worry about, and the procs they got latter did not change rotations as much as in this game. This allowed a hunter to macro all his/her abilities to one button.

This game is different, most if not all classes that I have seen have inate procs that if you want to maximize dps you need to change your rotation constantly on the fly, the priority system compared to wows rotation system.

This is where your argument falls completely apart. Anyone who has been playing since vanilla WoW will note that everything from abilities to trinkets radically alters any rotation. Furthermore, priority systems have existed in WoW since the game came out. Hell, I mentioned in my first post that I'm playing a survival hunter. We don't have a rotation, we have a priority system based on procs and, added in Cataclysm, our ability to regenerate focus without capping it out.

One of the reasons I suspect someone like me has found this game easier then others (look at the people complaining about the story bosses in the JK froums) is because we've become accustomed to a flexible priority system rather than hard and fast rotations.

Edited by Seuria

You should have tried playing these other games. They didn't go downhill because of macros.

It's not hard or tedious on some things. Other things are an annoyance. If you aren't using assist macros in PvP, you are bad. Period. End of story.

Its not bad if everybody is in the same boat... maybe its just you that are bad. If macros then the only bad players will be the ones who dont give in and download. then you can just throw skill out the window

They've got a few points in common, but there's a vast difference between copying a build, and being able to put a large number of your abilities on one spammable button and having the computer figure out which order to use them all in. One is much more of a crutch than the other, for fairly obvious reasons.

No one is advocating for a spammable button, as others have noted.

But, in the long run, it is the same. I could train my toddler to copy a spec build over and mind a simple rotation.

Macro's lets look at these, what do they do? they make you use less key strokes to complete a task. They require less thought to do because you use one key to execute an action, I would call that making the game easier.

Addon's what do they do? They que you into acting on certain actions that are occuring around you. Whether it be dps, or boss threat or how much time you have left before the next event comes. Because they que you into acting you are paying more attention to the que then what is occuring around you leading up to the next event, therefore making the encounter easier to complete. I would call that making the game easier.

People do understand what is being asked, what is being asked for is a way to make this game easier, when it's not needed, people are completeing content without out these things. So are they smarter than you people who want to make the game easier by using aides?

Just so we're clear, I don't think the pro-macro crowd is wanting all-in-one buttons. Let's throw that Red Herring out.

Well, if you go back to the beginning of this line of discussion, it started because I stated the I didn't want all-in-one, Rift-style macros. I've only been arguing my point because, apparently, people did disagree with me on that.

I don't think it qualifies as a red herring when it's exactly what was being discussed.