Where's the ranged tanking?

SinGouki

When I first saw this game I must admit that I was really excited about the idea of a ranged tank. However, now that I've played a Trooper for a while I have to say that I'm a little disappointed... basically it's still a melee tank with some ranged attacks. Our main threat attack (Stock Strike) is melee, our interrupt (Riot Strike) is melee, our Smoke Grenade debuff can't be thrown so it's basically melee, and our Ion Pulse attack has too short of a range (10m) compared to our other ranged attacks. Don't get me wrong, it's all very functional but not a true ranged tank, which is unfortunate considering how truly "revolutionary" it could have been for the tanking role.

When I first saw this game I must admit that I was really excited about the idea of a ranged tank. However, now that I've played a Trooper for a while I have to say that I'm a little disappointed... basically it's still a melee tank with some ranged attacks.

I tried to warn people before launch.

You're not alone. A lot of people expected to be Tanking from 30 some odd meters. People didn't believe me when I tried to tell 'em. So long as there is melee in the equation, tanks will never be "ranged". They may have some ranged attacks but at the end of the day, they're spending most of their time up close and personal.

As somebody who mains a shield spec Vanguard, I'm curious: What would the benefit be of being able to truly play a ranged tank?

Cool factor. :cool:

Fun Fact:

Han Solo was tanking while his group jumped down a garbage chute.

:D

Edited by Gankstah

If people are following kill orders you can still make use of the "ranged tank" concept. Just tabbing and using hammershot/rapid shots is often enough to grab the aggro from non attacked targets. Also with Neural Overload talent(50% speed debuff) you can kite mobs around something that is more tricky for other tanks.

Why would they design a class to tank entirely from ranged, when the majority of mobs you fight are melee. It only makes sense for them to give you some ranged attacks but majority melee, because as a tank you're supposed to be in the face of the enemy

This was exactly my point... after playing a prot warrior in WoW for 6+ years I was actually excited about a new model of tanking, where I didn't have to be right in the face of my enemies but still able to hold aggro. Of course melee enemies would still be in my face, but it seems like only about half (or less) of each pack of enemies are melee so the ranged tanked idea would have worked out really well.

Like I said, the way they did it is still very functional, it's just a little disappointing and it is definitely not true "ranged" tanking, unfortunately.

As somebody who mains a shield spec Vanguard, I'm curious: What would the benefit be of being able to truly play a ranged tank?

I'd feel like a real trooper then... You never see a clone/storm trooper run up to their opponents and start shooting at them, they stay back with their squad mates and gun down the opposition.

From a gameplay perspective it would allow my Guard ability to remain functional on my group's healer without forcing them to come into melee.

I'm just saying I have a gun, I want to shoot from range, it just feels wrong having to run up to everyone's face to tank effectively. It just doesn't feel right for the class. I mean if I have to be up close, realistically why would I even use a carbine... I should be using a scattergun to do more damage.

You can easily keep threat at 10 even 30 meters if you must as a vanguard tank. It may not be optimal dps but I can be done quite easily and effectively if necessary.

I know I can, but as I mentioned in my original post, you lose a lot of functionality by doing that (such as interrupts) so it's not a true option.

In most combat I like to play my PowerTech as a ranged tank as much as possible. Electro dart, and grapple stop "cast" (dont they?) on standard mobs and I use them to interrupt if available. And then of course there is jet charge which allows you to jump in, damage, interupt, put you in range for a rocket punch and other melee then kyte

Rocket Punch is obv our main attack, so I'll run by my target (or jet charge/grapple) to get a couple melee in and keep moving/kyting.

I just wish Rocket punch was off the global cooldown, but things are easy enough as it is in general.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.