NEED BADLY: Threat Meter / Damage Meters

Descento

There's already a fairly busy thread on this topic. Combat log is something I'd say is "badly needed", but a threat meter/damage meter is purely cosmetic. It would make things easier, but it's not "needed badly".

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=187044

How would you know that someone in your raid are AFKing while the rest people are busy killing the boss, unless you can check their DPS/Healing performance?

Besides, the DPS meter is already built in the game (you can see the DPS in warzones stats). So it's just a matter of BW allowing us to use it.

No to a threat meter. It's a crutch that removes any kind of challenge. I don't know about you, but when I play a game I don't just want to follow the on-screen instructions.

Sometimes a bit of mental involvement isn't that bad.

No to a threat meter. It's a crutch that removes any kind of challenge. I don't know about you, but when I play a game I don't just want to follow the on-screen instructions.

I was going to post to say how useful a threat meter would be, but your comment swayed me.

MMOs shouldn't be loaded up with a bunch of little screens telling them how to play the game.

It should be a challenge, a fun challenge, to figure out how much DPS someone can lay down without drawing aggro. Same goes for Healing.

I see the need for it, but if its going to be built in the game. I think only the party leader or raid leader should be able to see it. Hate to bring up WoW in this but I hated everyone having it and then they start to flame the person not pulling their weight or messing up. It should be the person who wants to lead and is group leader that should do it. Most of the time they do want to be in the position but allowing everyone to do that just brings up drama and people bashing on each other instead of focusing on the task at hand.

The only real downside of the meter, besides the crutch, is that for someone that was doing bad in the beginning but picked it up and is doing better. He will always stay behind of everyone else in the meter standings. So later on down the same flashpoint/raid/w.e, that person will still be picked on in a group even if it wasnt their fault. Thats why I say leave it to the leader of said run to make these decisions.

Don't want it = don't use.

Just don't ruin it for people who need it.

Iallowing everyone to do that just brings up drama and people bashing on each other instead of focusing on the task at hand.

how can you focus on the task in hand if you have no idea who is sitting with a thumb in their ass, doing jack sheet and holding the raid back?

Edited by Descento

It should be the party leader to vet out those who arent pulling their weight. Not anyone and/or everyone. I get where your coming from but it is a distraction. I have seen it happen many times in the past. Now if your in a group that has dead weight and its the party leader's friend/guild mate, now that just comes down to being put into a position where you need to walk away or just deal with it. That also comes down to the poor decisions on being in that position in the first place if you stay there, which just means its your problem. I mean knowing someone is screwing up is kinda useless if you can't directly effect the situation by you are kicking the person out of the group. If that is the case, you should be group leader and if you are with my idea then you would have the meters so its no big deal and no one can interject or tell you how to lead and micromanage people which other people with the meters in other games often do.

Then again you will always run into those kinds of people that want to tell others what to do but not wanting group lead. At least this just doesnt give them more of a reason to keep doing it.

Don't want it = don't use.

Just don't ruin it for people who need it.

I come from LotRO where we don't have threat meters. We solve that by pounding it into our tanks head that they must produce as much threat as possible, and by telling the DPS if they get agro, we're going to let them die.

You'd be amazed how fast agro problems disappear after that.

how can you focus on the task in hand if you have no idea who is sitting with a thumb in their ass, doing jack sheet and holding the raid back?

If you can't tell this by simple observation and inspecting gear, then you need to become a better player.

Edited by Almagnus

+1 good sir. It seems the majority of WoW players enjoy being spoon fed instructions on which ability to use and when to use it.

I come from LotRO where we don't have threat meters. We solve that by pounding it into our tanks head that they must produce as much threat as possible, and by telling the DPS if they get agro, we're going to let them die.

If you can't tell this by simple observation and inspecting gear, then you need to become a better player.

I play guardian tank and I approve this message.

Seriously though, I always tell the people I tank for, if you break my aggro you buy it (same rule for cc breakers) and I'm not gonna help your stupid self with that elite you just out aggroed me on until everything else is dead

I play guardian tank and I approve this message.

Seriously though, I always tell the people I tank for, if you break my aggro you buy it (same rule for cc breakers) and I'm not gonna help your stupid self with that elite you just out aggroed me on until everything else is dead

I play a hunter. The time that had myself and the rest of the raid laughing (at my expense) was when I pulled aggro on Durin's Bane away from our two tanks. My immediate reaction was to run to the tanks to turn the boss back away from the team, and the tanks got aggro back. I survived and learned to pay more attention :D My mistake was in forgetting that because the 2 tanks had to share aggro, they weren't spamming it as heavily as they usually do, so going all out in DPS right at the start wasn't the best of ideas. Before the RoI expansion, all my gear & stance was focused towards threat reduction so I could normally go all out and not worry about pulling aggro. Since RoI, my build is more towards CC.

I've never played a MMO with a threat meter. I can see that it would have use in maximizing damage without pulling aggro, but it's something I could do just fine without. I feel if you "need" a feature like this to play, than you need to learn how to play better. I can see them as being useful, but hardly a necessity.

My position: Add a combat log chat channel that can be exported to a text file, and leave damage meter to 3rd party apps/mods. Threat Meter sounds just too Easy Mode for my taste.

There's already a fairly busy thread on this topic. Combat log is something I'd say is "badly needed", but a threat meter/damage meter is purely cosmetic. It would make things easier, but it's not "needed badly".

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=187044

Quoted for truth......combat log on it's way, but threat meters & damage meters are completely unnecessary.

I don't see how you can say threat meters are unnecessary. Damage meters, eh that's debatable, but I see threat meters as a necessity. It is the job of the DPS to do as much damage as possible, but without going over the tank's threat. Even if the DPS waits for however long the tank asks, a threat meter is still needed so the DPS knows if they need so slow up a bit. It's far better to lose a little DPS because they slowed down, versus losing all dps because they pulled agro and died. Edited by Andanas

I don't see how you can say threat meters are unnecessary. Damage meters, eh that's debatable, but I see threat meters as a necessity. It is the job of the DPS to do as much damage as possible, but without going over the tank's threat. Even if the DPS waits for however long the tank asks, a threat meter is still needed so the DPS knows if they need so slow up a bit. It's far better to lose a little DPS because they slowed down, versus losing all dps because they pulled agro and died.

If threat meters were so crucial to MMOs, why have we been downing raid bosses in LotRO for over 4 years without them?

How would you know that someone in your raid are AFKing while the rest people are busy killing the boss, unless you can check their DPS/Healing performance?

Besides, the DPS meter is already built in the game (you can see the DPS in warzones stats). So it's just a matter of BW allowing us to use it.

Try looking around u? as i dont want to b lookin at numbers in this game, id sooner b lookin at the animations, u want easy mode? try focus on ur pty the pixel chars?

LOTRO blows. Stop saying you've downed raid bosses in that crap game. Also damage meters are needed so I can weed out the idiots who can't pull their weight and/or play their class properly. A threat meter would be nice so just as other posters have said the DPS can lay off without pulling aggro. I've played a mage in wow for years. With the buffs to tanks aggro in 4.2 I never even bothered to turn omen on. However I would watch my aggro closely in every raid prior to 4.2 and when I would get close to the tank I would lay off/pop invis to dump my aggro. It's the job of the DPS to put out as much damage as possible. Why shouldn't we be allowed to see our threat compared to the tank?

• 1 year later...

personally I would be very happy with even just adding a dark red line around the ops frame item for people that have threat on something.

That's not really telling you how to play or even how close someone is to the tanks threat. it would simply show the tanks who has threat on something so they can check if they need to react to that. I don't know about the rest of you but things can get hectic from time to time and mobs come from corners sometimes that you're not watching.

Thoughts?

This is a great idea. The problem is everyone would have to do this or the few tanks that do it end up being called bad or people think they can't hold aggro.