No, You May Not Roll on Items for Another Class and Strip Out the Mods

CBGB

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do realize that if you get yourself a bad rep atm you can't do anything about it? Why would I group with you when you feel the need to take gear that is an upgrade for me and useless for you?

Simple answer, I won't group with you and neither will the rest of your server.

Have fun starting from scratch.

Reread the original post. The Sith Marauder was needing for his character.

Not to use.

He needed it to strip and sell mods, and then he said it was for aesthetics after it was pointed out that the mods are bound.

I suppose it would be okay, if not for another player actually needing the item to use it.

The Marauder can use the jacket, so there's no restriction there. Your idea wouldn't work on the item this thread was created to complain about.

You misunderstand what he wrote. The restriction would be based on the item's primary stat, not on its armor type. Thus, you wouldn't have a Jedi Knight rolling on a piece of medium armor with Cunning all over it.

A simple change to the loot system would solve most of these problems.

- Need (only works for gear aimed at your class, based on primary stat)

- Companion (no restrictions)

- Greed (no restrictions)

- Disassemble (only works if someone in the group can actually RE the item)

All loot gets replaced. A reputation as a greedy loot-****, however, lasts a good long time. Just put them on your do-not-group list and move on. Also, play a healer or tank, so your do-not-group list has potential relevance ;)

...if anyone in that class is with your group.

I can't believe I'm posting about item rolls, or about this issue. People worry too much about loot, and I'm a big believer in just enjoying the game.

But poor claims hurt group dynamics, and there's no need for this kind of thing.

Today, a Sith Marauder rolled Need to get this

Cademimu Sharpshooter's Jacket

+34 Endurance

+38 Cunning

+18 Critical Rating

when I pointed out it was made for an Agent, like me, he said he intended to strip out the mods and trade them.

When I noted that the mods are Bound, he insisted that since he could wear it, he could roll. More surprising was that when he brought the issue to /General, a few voices agreed.

Most did not, but the others need to know that sort of claim i's a party-breaker. This is clearly an Agent item - a huge upgrade in my case - and my next group will get a little less healing as a result.

One of the pleasures of running Flashpoints is the chance to get gear suited to you. If it's better suited to someone else, leave it for them.

You're the kind of person I love to win rolls againts for my companion :D

All loot gets replaced. A reputation as a greedy loot-****, however, lasts a good long time. Just put them on your do-not-group list and move on. Also, play a healer or tank, so your do-not-group list has potential relevance ;)

Yeah, tell that to SnoggyMack, Ninja Looter Extraordinaire (and proud of it!)

Cake is a lie; there is only pie.

It wasn't about the crit, it's about the base stats, in this case being Cunning. Warriors get nothing from Cunning.

I get that. But this general topic has come up in the past. And in those discussions, I've tried to make the point that there will be situations where one class is rolling need for an item and another class is rolling need for a mod. And the example I tend to use is +Crit. Because there are benefits to +Crit for both healers and DPS.

And so there will be a situation where two classes NEED the item for an upgrade. One might wear the item. One might mod strip it. But the need is genuine.

And people still flip out and get huffy about it.

Which means, to me, this type of discussion isn't about being fair. It's about loot drama. You typical loot drama that crops in these games alllllllllllll the time.

You are going to meet a healer one day who finally realizes that an upgrade to crit is going to help them heal better. And that might be the day that some DPS class totally wigs out on the healer because ... duh ... they're DPS and crit is their big thing.

And now you're stuck in a loot drama situation where a healer has to try to explain why they want to need on an item?

It's just silly.

These items are all rolled on. There's equal chance to win. But it's always going to be a situation where someone lost and is upset about losing.

/sigh

Yeah, tell that to SnoggyMack, Ninja Looter Extraordinaire (and proud of it!)

Damn proud of being a NINJA LOOTER OF LIGHTSABERS WITH THE AIM STAT ON IT!

Can you figure out why though Face? I mean have you even considered why?

if I am able to press NEED, then i'm allowed to do it

/thread

If you are able to pick up a gun and shoot someone in the head, then you must be allowed to do it, right?

Sure, you are "allowed" to do it... the universe will not reach out and stop you. But it's not any less morally reprehensible.

Once you've hit puberty and figured out that you are responsible for the fallout of your actions, and that just because an action is possible does not make it right, give us a ring...

EDIT: Just to clarify, you are trying to make an argument that because you CAN do something, it must therefore be acceptable to do that thing. There ARE potentially valid reasons for claiming it's fine to need roll in this scenario, but the "because I can" argument is not one of them...

Edited by nezroy

Naturally, I have no objection to those that Need for companions after everyone in the group has given consent or if a companion has contributed to the effort but attempting to equate whimsical notions of re-sale or aesthetics with the quantifiable effects it will have on longevity or damage for the best-suited recipient is simply asinine to me. I blame these covetous cretins on those akin to Ayn Rand and Milton Freidman; they made being a duplicitous dunce somewhat acceptable again.

True story.

Although, tbh, it's a safe bet that anyone whom this para would offend is probably incapable of understanding it. :rolleyes:

You're the kind of person I love to win rolls againts for my companion :D

hahaha, your total disregard for your HUMAN companion who just carried your talentless arse through that FP is SO funny!

Don't worry, you can find other ninja looters / douches to group with. There are some out there.

It's about loot drama. You typical loot drama that crops in these games alllllllllllll the time.

I suspect loot drama crops up in groups that include you more often than it does in groups that do not include you.

Just a guess.

I get that. But this general topic has come up in the past. And in those discussions, I've tried to make the point that there will be situations where one class is rolling need for an item and another class is rolling need for a mod. And the example I tend to use is +Crit. Because there are benefits to +Crit for both healers and DPS.

And so there will be a situation where two classes NEED the item for an upgrade. One might wear the item. One might mod strip it. But the need is genuine.

And people still flip out and get huffy about it.

Which means, to me, this type of discussion isn't about being fair. It's about loot drama. You typical loot drama that crops in these games alllllllllllll the time.

You are going to meet a healer one day who finally realizes that an upgrade to crit is going to help them heal better. And that might be the day that some DPS class totally wigs out on the healer because ... duh ... they're DPS and crit is their big thing.

And now you're stuck in a loot drama situation where a healer has to try to explain why they want to need on an item?

It's just silly.

These items are all rolled on. There's equal chance to win. But it's always going to be a situation where someone lost and is upset about losing.

/sigh

I understand what you're trying to say, but surely you can see the rather large difference between needing an entire item (the item itself and all 2-4 mods) and needing only a single mod that's easily found in numerous other locations (e.g. vendors, GTN, crafters, other gear).

hahaha, your total disregard for your HUMAN companion who just carried your talentless arse through that FP is SO funny!

Don't worry, you can find other ninja looters / douches to group with. There are some out there.

lol. considering I am a healer and the only reason anyone gets a single piece of loot at all is because i keep everyone alive. funny statement bra.

i enjoy exposing the immaturity in people, it shows how weak and pathetic they are.

Edited by Aisar

I suspect loot drama crops up in groups that include you more often than it does in groups that do not include you.

Just a guess.

You'd guess wrong. You know why?

I don't care who's rolling on what. Never have. If I'm in a PuG I'm in a PuG. Whoever rolls on stuff wins stuff and I pay it no mind.

Not a single damn is given to who wins what in a PuG I play in. At least from me.

lol. considering I am a healer and the only reason anyone gets a single piece of loot at all is because i keep everyone alive. funny statement bra.

Equivalently, the only reason that you get any loot is because the tank and DPS kill the bad guys before they rip your face off.

And you sound like a tool when you say "bra".

i enjoy exposing the immaturity in people, it shows how weak and pathetic they are.

QFT a hundred thousand times

I mean... wow.

I understand what you're trying to say, but surely you can see the rather large difference between needing an entire item (the item itself and all 2-4 mods) and needing only a single mod that's easily found in numerous other locations (e.g. vendors, GTN, crafters, other gear).

Yeah, but orange items (which the item in question is) also carry with it the entire armor customization issue.

People do want certain items for their appearance. Armor customization is extremely popular in this game.

So to me, and to a lot of other players, it's a perfectly valid reason to "need" an item just because you like how it looks. At least if it's an orange item.

Equivalently, the only reason that you get any loot is because the tank and DPS kill the bad guys before they rip your face off.

And you sound like a tool when you say "bra".

no kidding bra, why do you think I said bra?

and I didn't say the tank or dps could not roll on anything they wanted.