The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Combat Log, DPS Meters and Threat Meters

Talthis

I know a lot of people are against DPS meters and what not because of people using to flex their epeen but when raiding dont you want to know what is 100% most effective and how to optimize your potential. Yes you do good damage but I want to do the best damage and be most effective and without knowing for sure what that is, I find it very hard to better my playing ability

A combat log would also help with such things like figuring out how much defense is optimal for a tank and if it make them uncritable or not and if there is a soft cap for defense so that they can start gaining stats in absorption or shield rating

Combat log, yes. Aggro meter, no.

it's just a crutch and removes any real skill from tanking. It goes from a matter of perception and experience to simply following the on-screen instructions.

honestly, tanks don't need it.

stupid dps do.

Then they should die, and learn from their mistakes, instead of getting a crutch that allows them to just follow the on screen instructions for impunity :D

DPS dying in this game will cause a wipe. There aren't two other dps to carry the slack, there is only one.

If it was a 5-man group system, then we could probably let one die. But it would be stupid to let the group wipe because of one stupid dps.

DPS dying in this game will cause a wipe. There aren't two other dps to carry the slack, there is only one.

If it was a 5-man group system, then we could probably let one die. But it would be stupid to let the group wipe because of one stupid dps.

So basically let's remove an element of challenge to avoid group wipes?

Group wipes are part of a MMORPG's gameplay. I don't really see a reason to give players a further crutch to avoid them.

It's not like this is a difficult game to begin with.

I find it ludicrus that skill is required to determine how much threat is needed without knowing how much each ability provides or dps to know what it can and can not do

without any indication other than getting one shot.

That is not skill that is just guessing right.

One needs damage meters/combat log to determine how one is doing dpswise/rotation wise.

Otherwise it would be guessing. How does one know these things without any concrete

information to judge it by?

I just find this line of discussion to be un informed elitism and way out of touch with reallity.