We want Arenas in SWTOR!

Lucies

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ucqKtGSXO8

If that doesn't look challenging and fun, I don't know what to say. I got so much enjoyment from wow arena and it really sharpened my game.

The only downside was not arena's fault, class balance issues made it difficult at times to play the comp you want vs. play what is viable. That is a problem that plagues every mmo that lasts very long, swtor will go through the same thing if it is around long enough to have several expansions. Given the balance issues the game has right now there is no reason to believe it won't have essentially the same problem.

I accept that a lot of people who claim to enjoy pvp really don't want a challenge, and don't want to face opponents of equal gear and skill. Another fairly large group is those that just prefer battlegrounds which I enjoy also.

Swtor could do some really interesting with the mechanics used for huttball. Just throwing around ideas, but a handful of maps with hazards and incorporating the pass mechanic could be really awesome for rated games. I think this might even be as exciting as high level wow arena if enough good players/teams are participating.

Biggest obstacle to rated pvp right now is the game has a lot of quality issues to sort through. Not going to bash it too hard as the game is still new. Given enough time to mature the pvp could be really good in this game if they stay away fom the designs like alderran.

Oh wow yea. I loved watching that match. I've been glad several times and LOVE arena in WoW, I still play and it's the only reason I keep my WoW subscription up. Nothing feels as good as having a superior plan and superior execution to another team, and barely sqeezing out a victory against one of many other teams you can reguard as your level of skill.

IF they can divorce arenas completely from the rest of the game, meaning there would be absolutely no balance issues ability-wise and gear-wise, then I'd be all for it. Could be fun. But if they attempt to just throw it into the game "after-the-fact" like WoW did, then it will do more harm to the game then good, and I would not be for it.

There are MMO designers that know a lot more about doing this kind of stuff that say mixing the two is not a very good idea, that being the developers from Blizzard. So, it would be kinda dumb to take their experience and act like it means nothing. Arenas CAN be done, but only if the game is designed for it from the beginning.

If there are arenas, don't make them mandatory. Better gear from arenas than you can get from anything else breaks the rest of pvp.

Some people just don't like them, to the point where they won't play them, regardless of what you miss out on. I'm one of those.

edit: this is what broke WoW for me. I lasted maybe another 6 months after arenas were introduced...then unsubbed after 6 years of playing because of this.

Edited by Thuull

I think arena could be easily balanced if they capped the amount of abilities you could use in arena, banned pve gear and made certain abilities perform different in pve.

Doing this would completely remove the arena hurts pve argument.

Make the gear the same as you get from grinding warzones, this removes the "boo hoo, i get rolled by people with arena gear wimpering".

This way, those who want to arena get to arena and it does not effect those who just want to zerg people 8 on 1...

People keep saying reward us with gear with the same stats, I guarantee when that occurs that theyll be people on the forums demanding better gear because they spend countless hours doing arenas.

Those people annoy me too... In all honesty, arena should not be about gear. The gear should be as easy/hard to get as the war-zone gear.

I'd like to see arena.

Don't make the gear any better though.

Just make it have an awesome skin, different mounts and titles so you can tell who does the arena but they haven't got an advantage in gear.

This will also help balance classes a bit further to see if their design of "Every class can perform to the same standard in their role"

Either this or bring in team duels. Then people can have their own arena where ever they want. Guilds could hold tournaments and make it more of a community based event.

Like pitting the best 2 people from 2 different guilds against each other etc.

But then again this kind of exists already in the outlaws den, but you'd have to organize it.

What else are you supposed to do in your 50 Champion gear? Grind even more warzones?

BW: develop most expensive video game in history, but let those blizz guys have all the arena community.

I think even the business majors at EA can see the problem with that. Balancing classes is hard, I fully agree. But at least 60% of warzone pvp is 2v2's and 3v3's, and that hard work has to be done anyway.

There is no reason to think BW will force you into arenas like WoW did, please stop arguing against opt-in features to this game.