Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

What causes more people to leave a game?

JBGames

I thought this would be an interesting discussion and I am surprised there actually isn't research done in this. I know EA has people fill out a survery when they quit but as far as research goes survery's are very unreliable and biased with no controls and many Variables.

Is it?

1)unbalanced PvP Class(s)

2)Nerfing of the class you play

3)Lack of content in PvP

4) Inability to play PvP (ques)

5) Other

I leave when the pvp isn't even enough to make it a question of who will win and who will lose. When geared players, high level players, premades, or a specific faction dominate so thoroughly that it's a matter of join them and crush or refuse to join and get crushed, I leave.

or 6) People crying on the forums

There actually might be some truth to that. Many of the early MMO's didn't have forums and as far as I'm aware they didn't have as large of Subscription swings as the newer ones. With that being said there is also a MMO market that is saturated with games now.

There actually might be some truth to that. Many of the early MMO's didn't have forums and as far as I'm aware they didn't have as large of Subscription swings as the newer ones. With that being said there is also a MMO market that is saturated with games now.

I was being serious. Look At SWG! Forum crying killed that game.

I was being serious. Look At SWG! Forum crying killed that game.

I would argue that its drastic changes to the game that make people leave. I think people can handle little changes over time but when the gaming experiences change overnight many people either cannot adapt or choose not too.

So yes I think forum crying for nerfs and consession to them changes the dynamic of the game too fast for most. Thoughts?

#1 for the most part destroyed Rift.

#2 Most classes can handle a nerf or two. It's multiple, sustained nerfs over time that destroy a game.

You left out constant class redesigns. When your class fundamentally changes with every patch, it's a problem (again, see Rift mage as example).

or 6) People crying on the forums

Would you rather they removed forums all together?

Or

7. People have L2P issues and find it easier to blame BW.

As a response to the OP, what can make or break a game for me is the community. A community based on people responding with L2P, QQ more and Can I have your stuff will in many cases ruin the game for other players.

#1 for the most part destroyed Rift.

#2 Most classes can handle a nerf or two. It's multiple, sustained nerfs over time that destroy a game.

You left out constant class redesigns. When your class fundamentally changes with every patch, it's a problem (again, see Rift mage as example).

Diffently a problem when you start the game playing one character and the role of the character is something completly different in a few months. I see this happening to all the the American company released MMO's. Many of the Foreign FTP games don't touch balancing once the game is release. Im not sure I understand why that is. There has been some very successful Free to play games such as Perfect World.

Edited by JBGames

That is extremely subjective. You cant reason why someone leaves a MMO. In a general sense, even psychologist agree you cant slap a label why someone does anything. That is like saying "why do children in juvenile hall do bad things?" There is too many variables to explain such an issue. Edited by Tycoon

That is extremely subjective. You cant reason why someone leaves a MMO. In a general sense, even psychologist agree you cant slap a label why someone does anything.

I agree but there has been enough successes and failures in MMO's You can at least have a retrospective study which has a much higher research power than survey data. IE. (AoC implemented PVP balancing..... ____# of susbcriptions lost____# of subscriptions gained--> conclusion balancing cost more subscriptions than we gained or we gained more subscriptions this way.

I realize this is a bit oversimplified but there are statistical tweeks you can do to account for some varibles that cannot be controlled

Edited by JBGames

I agree but there has been enough successes and failures in MMO's You can at least have a retrospective study which has a much higher research power than survey data. IE. (AoC implemented PVP balancing..... ____# of susbcriptions lost____# of subscriptions gained--> conclusion balancing cost more subscriptions than we gained or we gained more subscriptions this way.

Social behavior is unpredictable. Which is why conducting such research is extremely difficult. You can only reason why one person does something. You cant reason why a body of people would.

Even though people say SWG was dead before SWTOR release, and x, y, and z killed it. This isnt true, because there still was ppl playing SWG which contradicted their claims.

Edited by Tycoon

Social behavior is unpredictable. Which is why conducting such research is extremely difficult. You can only reason why one person does something. You cant reason why a body of people would.

Even though people say SWG was dead before SWTOR release, and x, y, and z killed it. This isnt true, because there still was ppl playing SWG which contradicted their claims.

I would argue that social behavior is very predictable. Look at some of pavlov's dog operant conditioning experiments that are applied to humans. Positive reinforcement--> clearly leads to more of an activity. Negative reinforcement leads to less of an activity. If you want unpredictable look into cancer growth or particle physics research

Edited by JBGames

I thought this would be an interesting discussion and I am surprised there actually isn't research done in this. I know EA has people fill out a survery when they quit but as far as research goes survery's are very unreliable and biased with no controls and many Variables.

Is it?

1)unbalanced PvP Class(s)

2)Nerfing of the class you play

3)Lack of content in PvP

4) Inability to play PvP (ques)

5) Other

1.) Mysterious performance issues not addressed in BETA????????

2.) Lack of action against exploits. Rollbacks, bans, etc.

3.) Broken classes that are low on the priority list.

4.) Massive game changing / class changing nerfs.

5.) Boring / repetitive PVP. (I expect this in PVE...but I hate PVE. I grind to PVP moar.)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.