GeForce GTX 550 Ti

JediSilverstar

After this week's update my measly old GeForce 220 GT decided it just couldn't hack it anymore. I went from getting about 30fps on low to medium settings (which was acceptable for the time being) to no better than 12fps on even the lowest settings.

So after a ton of playing around with graphics and other settings both in game and on my system in general, I realized my card just can't handle TOR. So, the time has definitely come for a new one.

With budget in mind it sounds like the GTX 550 Ti is the way to go. I was planning on using the old 220 GT for Physx. Is anyone else using the GTX 550 Ti on the game? What is its performance like? Is this worth the price? Can I expect to get ~60fps on the high settings or am I destined for disappointment?

For reference sake the rest of my specs are:

AMD FX-4100 3.6 Ghz

8 GB G. Skill Ripjaw RAM at 1600 Mhz (4GBx2)

Samsung 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.

Hello JediSilverStar just wanan give you a headsup

Using this grafic card myself and hav no problems at all.

With that i mean yes pretty bad fps in WZ and fleet/ilum, bit thats the game itself.

Nothing like the horrid performance some people have though, those come mostly from ATI cards which seems are not a good friend with this game.

Edited by Anelitt

I got the exact same card but unfortunately would only get 15-30 fps even with low settings. Until the latest patch. It seemed to have improved the fps and I was able to raise the settings and get a solid 30 fps 95% of the time.

I think the problem is the game itself rather then my set up as I can handle MMO's that are considered to have state of the art obscenely high graphic requirements and games like Battle Field 3 on Ultra settings in 64 player maps with no lag.

That MMO I mentioned took a few months post launch before it could be "optimized" properly and got my game running smoothly on high. I'm thinking the same will be for SW:TOR. By March my FPS problems should be resolved I hope.

After this week's update my measly old GeForce 220 GT decided it just couldn't hack it anymore. I went from getting about 30fps on low to medium settings (which was acceptable for the time being) to no better than 12fps on even the lowest settings.

So after a ton of playing around with graphics and other settings both in game and on my system in general, I realized my card just can't handle TOR. So, the time has definitely come for a new one.

With budget in mind it sounds like the GTX 550 Ti is the way to go. I was planning on using the old 220 GT for Physx. Is anyone else using the GTX 550 Ti on the game? What is its performance like? Is this worth the price? Can I expect to get ~60fps on the high settings or am I destined for disappointment?

AMD FX-4100 3.6 Ghz

Samsung 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

Turn AA off and watch your fps jump back up.

or,

550ti is very low end card. Get a 560ti if you want a decent card (or a 6950)

Edited by Sunsoar

AMD FX-4100 3.6 Ghz

Samsung 1TB 7200 RPM HDD

550 Ti is a very good choice, using one of them here. Runs perfect, rarely lags except every so often in fleet.

Thanks for the responses guys.

So some reservations about the 550 Ti, but overall, should get the job done. I mean, if it's doing high FPS on Ultra on BF3, then any other issues have to be with the game right now and not the card. Plus, I'm not huge on the pvping, so issues there aren't my number one concern. I can wait out the issue getting fixed without much concern.

If I could afford it right now, I would probably bump it up to the 560, but that's almost 100 bucks more from what I'm seeing. I need bang for my buck right now.

Another question, how good are these in SLI? If I want to upgrade at some point in the future, would it make sense to link those bad boys up, or just get a whole new card?

I would save my money and wait a few months and get something better. This game isnt worth jumping to upgrade when youre getting a low end card to replace a low end card.

edit: i mean its really not been out long enough and hopefully there are more improvements down the road that fix things within the game.

Edited by Tengobotas

Thanks for the responses guys.

So some reservations about the 550 Ti, but overall, should get the job done. I mean, if it's doing high FPS on Ultra on BF3, then any other issues have to be with the game right now and not the card. Plus, I'm not huge on the pvping, so issues there aren't my number one concern. I can wait out the issue getting fixed without much concern.

If I could afford it right now, I would probably bump it up to the 560, but that's almost 100 bucks more from what I'm seeing. I need bang for my buck right now.

Another question, how good are these in SLI? If I want to upgrade at some point in the future, would it make sense to link those bad boys up, or just get a whole new card?

I highly doubt that a 550ti plays BF3 on ultra at 60fps constant or even 30fps constant @1080p.

Don't believe it just because someone says it. I had a 465 that I had OC'd to 850mhz core and it barely stayed above 40fps.

As for SLI'ing these cards you will see performance gains in quite a few games. Sadly not TOR as it does support multi card setups...(in future?)

These cards are great for the super low budget machines but they're not for gaming rigs.

ALSO, new Nvidia cards are right around the corner. ATI has theirs 7970s out already. Wait for the Nvidia cards to come out so you can get a better card for cheaper (last gen of course).

Edited by Sunsoar

I have this exact graphics card and the game runs all graphics on high and have no issues at all

card is 2gb and running a 16gb ddr3 64 bit machine windows 7 ultimate

paid £130 for this card and i rate it highly

i also play battlefield and all settings on ultra and works perfectly

dont know what people are talking about regarding poor fps etc - nonsense

imperial fleet etc is exactly the same no problems

great card for a great price!

@op instead of getting 30 fps you would get a 100 fps with the 550ti at the same settings.

edit: on high you would get 60 or more.

Just keep in mind the 560-580 are power hungry. I wouldn't use them unless you have PSP to run it. If you go SLI don't even think about it under a 1000 watt PSP.

I have this exact graphics card and the game runs all graphics on high and have no issues at all

card is 2gb and running a 16gb ddr3 64 bit machine windows 7 ultimate

paid £130 for this card and i rate it highly

i also play battlefield and all settings on ultra and works perfectly

dont know what people are talking about regarding poor fps etc - nonsense

imperial fleet etc is exactly the same no problems

great card for a great price!

SWTOR is a low tech game. I have a laptop that doesn't even have a dedicated GPU and it runs SWTOR on high at around 25fps.

Bumping up the GPU isn't going to help much in SWTOR since it is primarily a CPU heavy program. I also have a desktop with a beastly setup that does run SWTOR better... but we're talking an $11,000 price difference.

Edited by Laeris

I highly doubt that a 550ti plays BF3 on ultra at 60fps constant or even 30fps constant @1080p.

Don't believe it just because someone says it. I had a 465 that I had OC'd to 850mhz core and it barely stayed above 40fps.

As for SLI'ing these cards you will see performance gains in quite a few games. Sadly not TOR as it does support multi card setups...(in future?)

These cards are great for the super low budget machines but they're not for gaming rigs.

ALSO, new Nvidia cards are right around the corner. ATI has theirs 7970s out already. Wait for the Nvidia cards to come out so you can get a better card for cheaper (last gen of course).

My original plan was to wait and hope the better 560s etc dropped in price, but at this point the game is borderline unplayable with my current card.

I appreciate everyone's input though. Mostly, I'm just perplexed as to why my mediocre graphics suddenly turned to absolutely horrible.

MTFBWY everyone.

I am using a GTX 470 and I play the game at max settings with well over 60fps and the comp barely feels it. I'm sure a 550 will play it without a problem.

Just a warning that the 470 is faster then the 550 so there no comparision.