Maps are so confusing

Rantank

Why did anyone even bother putting maps in the game. It was fine for the first couple of planets but since then so much stuff just doesn't appear on them. Apparently as i levelled my character lost the ability to write stuff down as he discovered it. And any time a terrain altitude change is involved it totally disappears off the maps.

I have a half dozen quests right now and only one of them shows any kind of marker on the map. What are you supposed to do to make the maps actually work... ?? Is there something I missed? Even stuff I've discovered and been inside of, doesn't appear on the map ever again. What setting makes the maps work?

Yeah, that is the one mark I have,... but I'm not ready to go do that yet, its my last class quest for this planet. Nothing appears on the world map at all except bases I've discovered and green arrows directing me through doorways. But like now, I have only one green mark so the other quest areas must not be through a doorway. If I go inside a base, then I see a green arrow pointing me outside again to all the quests I can't otherwise see. But as soon as I exit the building, any marks for those quests disappears again. Those little radar type marks I can only see on my minimap and arent really a lot of help until I get within range of them... They're not on the map until then. The zone map will update with the marks after I've tripped over the mobs. At which point its reasonable to think I don't need the map any more because I found them.

There has to be a way to make this map flat... so that more things can show up at once.

Look for animated green arrows for going into builfings or other parts of the map, animated green up/down arrows for elevators, and animated green sideways arrows for taxis. that means you have to go there to get to another part of the world/map. once you get there you will see missions icon on the map (unless you have to do more traveling.)

When you hover your mouse of the one marker you have (green arrow), does it list other missions besides your class mission?

Also, if you click on that green arrow, it should look at the map for that area. While it may just show a blank map with mission objectives if you haven't discovered it, you can still see about where you need to go in there as well as any other mission objectives you may have there.

Also, I've noticed, if there is more than one way to enter an area, the green arrows will sometimes point you back outside, wanting you to take the other entrance.

This was particularly annoying in Nar Shadaa.

Your other missions may be far enough away on the map that you need to take a taxi to get there. When you open your map, right-click (or maybe left click) on the little map in the lower right hand corner of the screen. This will back you out a map so you can see the full map. You may then be able to pin point where your quests are and if you need to take a taxi to get there.

When you hover your mouse of the one marker you have (green arrow), does it list other missions besides your class mission?

Also, if you click on that green arrow, it should look at the map for that area. While it may just show a blank map with mission objectives if you haven't discovered it, you can still see about where you need to go in there as well as any other mission objectives you may have there.

Also, I've noticed, if there is more than one way to enter an area, the green arrows will sometimes point you back outside, wanting you to take the other entrance.

This was particularly annoying in Nar Shadaa.

Your other missions may be far enough away on the map that you need to take a taxi to get there. When you open your map, right-click (or maybe left click) on the little map in the lower right hand corner of the screen. This will back you out a map so you can see the full map. You may then be able to pin point where your quests are and if you need to take a taxi to get there.

No the green arrow only has that one quest. There is only the one mission I have showing up in that zone map. I have to do more of the other non-class chains before I go over there, or I expect I will only have to go back again.

Yes that two doors in or out has had me going in circles on occasion too.

I think the problem is, that these quests are in another zone, but the flight point arrows are all the normal yellow. I went to another zone (picked at random) via the flight point I have there and once I had landed, and there was a mark showing up on the map. So I guess what's not happening is the flight point markers changing color to indicate a zone change is required. Is there a way to display a zone map for a different zone to the one you're in? I mean, i can see how to do it if you have a marker there, but what, as in this case, you don't? None of the missing quests go through a doorway so there's no green arrow in the zone I need to expand.

No the green arrow only has that one quest. There is only the one mission I have showing up in that zone map. I have to do more of the other non-class chains before I go over there, or I expect I will only have to go back again.

Yes that two doors in or out has had me going in circles on occasion too.

I think the problem is, that these quests are in another zone, but the flight point arrows are all the normal yellow. I went to another zone (picked at random) via the flight point I have there and once I had landed, and there was a mark showing up on the map. So I guess what's not happening is the flight point markers changing color to indicate a zone change is required. Is there a way to display a zone map for a different zone to the one you're in? I mean, i can see how to do it if you have a marker there, but what, as in this case, you don't? None of the missing quests go through a doorway so there's no green arrow in the zone I need to expand.

The taxi markers don't always show green, I've noticed. :mad: A bit annoying. Not sure why they don't always show green.

I'd suggest reading the mission to see where you need to go and then take the taxi there.

As I mentioned, if you right-click on the little map in the lower right corner when you open the big map, it'll zoom out. I think, you may then be able to left-click on the map (or the little map) to select a new area.

As I mentioned, if you right-click on the little map in the lower right corner when you open the big map, it'll zoom out. I think, you may then be able to left-click on the map (or the little map) to select a new area.

Thats the part I can't figure out how to do. I can expand it just fine if there is a green marker to click on. But even then, if the marker is going indoors, you only see the inside of the base in the expanded map. I can't figure out how to expand any given zone from that world map. It must be possible, I mean who would make a map that couldn't do that... but.. I can't figure out how to do it.

I've never had 9 quests disappear like this before, normally its only one or two and they turn up in the process of doing other quests.

Thanks for your help... I guess I just have to go to each zone and take a look and see until I figure out how to see from the map.

In reply I can say that the map function on Nar Shaddaa is totally borked due to multiple levels of maps, especially on nar shaddaa bonus series. I remember the quest tracker once told me to go to an elevator and go to a certain level, then when I stepped out the tracker told me to go into the elevator again (despite stepping out at the correct floor). Simply borked route algorithms.

The taxi routes also fail at times with the quest tracking, often telling me to go to the wrong outpost.

Edited by Karkais