Framerate issues? Read this guide. It may help.

Supervillainess

Let's face it. We don't all have state-of-the-art rigs. While we can turn our graphical settings down and our shadows off in-game, there are still a lot of bells and whistles in place that are intended to make it look pretty. While this may be the case for people playing on great setups, not all of us have the best specs. This guide shows you how to alter, turn down, and turn off these bells and whistles in your client settings.

http://segmentnext.com/2012/01/13/swtor-ini-tweaks-guide-graphics-and-performance/

I was about to give up on SWTOR because of the lag I kept experiencing. My laptop's specs are nothing to write home to mom about, but they more than meet the minimum requirements to run the game, and they passed with flying colors when I ran a canyourunit.com test. I ha everything set on low, and everything that possibly could be off turned off. Still, the game was choppy in some areas. Then things went from bad to worse with one of the latest patches because they did something to make the graphics look a little better. Unfortunately for me, that translated to laggier. Then a very nice person on my server dug up and sent me the url for that guide.

I hope it helps!

Edited by Supervillainess

And I forgot to mention it earlier, but try turning on triple-buffering on your video card.

If you have an ATI card, pull up the Catalyst Control Center, click on Graphics, and select 3D from the dropdown menu. The option to turn it on or off is in there.

I'm not certain how you would do it with an nVidia card. Does someone with an nVidia card want to chime in? :)

Additionally, running the game in Compatibility Mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3 solved a few problems for me after the patch.

That didn't help me very much, but others say that it increased their FPS tremendously. You just right click on the game icon, go to Properties, and click the compatibility tab.