Buyer Beware

POINGjam

Nvidia Drivers on an Nvidia card are not 3rd party software.

you /fail

Try again

3rd party software does not affect hardware.

The drivers he's referring to, was when nVidia included Overclocking within their drivers without running coolbits. But, there is a big warning that overclocking your card, voids warranty if operated outside normal conditions. But never has nVidia drivers, with overclocking disabled, burned up a card.

I've pushed my system/gfx cards way over the limit and even pushed voltages higher, and always I just locked up until I could reset. Nothing was ever permanently damaged.

I've seen these same trolls in other games, and it's simply amazing how many games have destroyed hardware.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You clearly have absolutely no clue what C++ can do to hardware. Yes, code can be written to push hardware beyond it's normal operating standers and cause faults. Especially with video cards and hard drives.

With the exception that neither voltage nor frequencies go beyond factory set 3D values concerning TOR.

Oh wait, they secretely added some code that injects into driver level for certain selected users....

Incorrect. A couple years back, Nvidia put out drivers that killed people's cards. It caused them to be over-worked, and caused massive overheating even though the cards temps showed as 60-70 on temp monitors.

You obviously don't know what 3rd party means... :rolleyes:

I just built a computer, Asus gtx 580, unti the patch I hadn't had a single graphics driver failure. This is when your screen turns black, and you get the error popup along the lines of "Nvidia driver X has failed and restarted"

This really worries me as it happens to me every couple hours or so and is usually a sign of failing hardware.

Keep in mind I never experienced this until the latest patch.

My graphics card runs at a stable 45 degrees C.

With the exception that neither voltage nor frequencies go beyond factory set 3D values concerning TOR.

Oh wait, they secretely added some code that injects into driver level for certain selected users....

So somehow, Bioware, created a special module, written to inject itself into the driver levels of the card, bypassing the Operating System, to kill a customers computer, so they can't play a game they make a profit.

Sounds logical.

Bottom line most people don't get graphics cards with enough cooling on it; your average video card does not come with a good enough heat sink or fan to handle cooling the card under max utilization. Also many do not even come with fans!

If you want to play a game that will put a heavy load on your GFX card, you might want to make sure you have adequate cooling on it; they are several companies that make proper aftermarket GPU cooling systems.

Even with my video card and the fans at 100% this game will still push it up to 55© to 60© at times.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121431

Yes, thank you for proving my point. RivaTuner is third party software that allows driver-level tweaking.

Either declare your definitions and parse rules or quit being purposefully deceptive (or willfully ignorant).

RivaTuner is third party software. It can't do anything to change the settings on your video card.

...unless it communicates with a driver sitting in the hardware abstraction layer. In order to do that, it requires elevated privileges.

PS - Games are also software that allow driver-level tweaking.

Games are not allowed to directly talk to drivers. All interactions take place through other interfaces, and those interfaces are There is no API call in DirectX to change the shader clock speed. In order to make driver-level changes, the game would need to interface directly with the driver (requiring elevated privileges) or install its own driver to achieve similar access.

While that is theoretically possible, I challenge you to show me a game that runs on Vista/7 that does it.

Incorrect. A couple years back, Nvidia put out drivers that killed people's cards. It caused them to be over-worked, and caused massive overheating even though the cards temps showed as 60-70 on temp monitors.

a driver isnt 3rd party software. A driver is what "Drives" a piece of hardware. So yes drivers can cause issues with hardware.

not to quick on the uptake are you?

This really worries me as it happens to me every couple hours or so and is usually a sign of failing hardware.

That's a driver issue, unless it's a really bad one your hardware is probably fine. Try installing a different driver version and see if it helps.

Edited by DarrkLore

I've pushed my system/gfx cards way over the limit and even pushed voltages higher, and always I just locked up until I could reset. Nothing was ever permanently damaged.

I agree.

I've seen these same trolls in other games, and it's simply amazing how many games have destroyed hardware.

Yep.

And you know what else...... the dog ate their homework too.

C++ bypasses the operating system? Awesome. Someone call Microsoft. They would be excited to hear this!

Bypass is the wrong word, what happens is that you can add a 3rth party driver that operates on hardware level and then control it from code.

There are a few problems with that approach thou.

One is that the driver isn't signed, so Windows will pop an alert upon installation in addition that UAC (if enabled) goes completely nuts.

The riva tuner guy needs to get over it.

If you take riva, and overclock to "500%" then it's YOUR fault. Not the softwares.

If you are running the game on Ultra settings with AA turned on with a video card that can't handle it and it overheats? Your fault. Not the games.

I just built a computer, Asus gtx 580, unti the patch I hadn't had a single graphics driver failure. This is when your screen turns black, and you get the error popup along the lines of "Nvidia driver X has failed and restarted"

What drivers you using? If you haven't updated your drivers, this statement is meaningless. If your drivers are dated prior to Mon Oct 24, 2011, then the game isn't the problem.

Tell that to starcraft 2 and the menu screen. That thing has fried a lot of video cards.

The issue there was still hardware.

An argument can be made that the game should have enforced a sensible limit on the number of frames to render in a second, but in the end, the fault still lies with the hardware: The card supplied inadequate cooling, specifically: it failed to monitor/cool/throttle some critical areas of the card.

The evidence for this is easy: I left Starcraft II sitting on the "Killer Menu Screen" for 3 hours while I ate dinner, did the dishes and watched TV. My card was fine... because it was designed to keep itself properly cool.

Quoting fail.

I have tried multiple nvidia drivers including the beta ones, I still get driver failed errors every once in a while. It recovers and I can continue playing the game. Again, I was not getting this before patch, and do not get this in any other game.

Edited by KeltonDavis

So wait. SWTor is a cyber weapon??? WOW

Well then, I am certain the defense department will be buying the game from Bioware. I should go invest.

I almost feel bad for all our enemies around the world. prepare to have your video cards destroyed by our new secret weapon! muahahah.

The drivers he's referring to, was when nVidia included Overclocking within their drivers without running coolbits. But, there is a big warning that overclocking your card, voids warranty if operated outside normal conditions. But never has nVidia drivers, with overclocking disabled, burned up a card.

Yep. I have yet to actually burn anything up.

heck my Q9650 on a P965-DS3 is running at 3.6GhZ right now and my ooold 8800GTS is pushing the limit and giving me 60-70 FPS in crowds. So... I am not complaining.

Nor am I upgrading any time soon.

You just gotta know what you're doing.

What drivers you using? If you haven't updated your drivers, this statement is meaningless. If your drivers are dated prior to Mon Oct 24, 2011, then the game isn't the problem.

Currently using the latest nvidia beta driver from december 19th, have tried the latest regular release and other versions, ect.

It's amazing to me how people who say they are in IT can say that software cannot affect hardware. That's just plain silly.

Maybe in some lab with theoretical math this is true but not in real life.

Here's the equation:

PC - SWTOR = good video card performance

PC + VG + BF3 + Skyrim + SWGEmu + Aion + Rift = good video card performance

PC + SWTOR running = crappy video card performance and constant failure and recovery

It's really that simple.

LMAO

Edited by Waypoc

The recent patch has been causing damage to players' graphics cards. I'm sure it's in the EULA that users accept liability for system damage sustained while running the game (as it is in pretty much every game's EULA), but isn't this taking advantage of the customer? It's unreasonable to expect consumers to buy software at the risk of hundreds of dollars of equipment damage. If a car manufacturer puts out a product with faulty brakes, they get called on it, issue a recall, and compensate customers for any related damages (that includes property).

I get that we won't see a dime in compensation for the damage to our systems from SWTOR, but what can we do to change the PC game industry's practice of putting all liability on the consumer?

Man, that one's gonna get yo a bonus from the guys at Blizzard. What do you get, anyway? Is it like $1.00 per post?