Buyer Beware

POINGjam

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

RivaTuner is not a driver. Please don't post in this thread if you're completely ignorant to the topic.

RivaTuner is a complete powerful tweaking environment, providing you everything you may need to tune NVIDIA GPU based display adapters. The widest driver-level Direct3D / OpenGL and system tuning options, flexible profiling system allowing to make custom settings on per-application basis, both driver-level and low-level hardware access modes

If potato's give you gas all the time, wouldn't you stop eating potatos?

Umm, NO! I love potatoes, and I figure my gas is really other people's problem. Everyone likes their own blend.

Edited by HanzoV

Hmm, actually there might be something to this. Ever since 1.1 ive noticed that my video card temperatures have been running steadily at 81C whereas pre patch it was usually around 69-71. So something HAS in fact changed in 1.1 that is making the GPU work harder than before. Did they not add an Anti-Aliasing option to the graphic menu in 1.1? Or am i completely bonkers? And just FYI my ambient room temperature has been the same as always, im running no additional apps in the background while playing etc. But the rise in normal running temps from 70C to 80C while playing SWTOR is there nonetheless.

RivaTuner is a complete powerful tweaking environment, providing you everything you may need to tune NVIDIA GPU based display adapters. The widest driver-level Direct3D / OpenGL and system tuning options, flexible profiling system allowing to make custom settings on per-application basis, both driver-level and low-level hardware access modes

Yes, thank you for proving my point. RivaTuner is third party software that allows driver-level tweaking.

PS - Games are also software that allow driver-level tweaking.

EDIT: typo

Edited by DannyInternets

Hmm, actually there might be something to this. Ever since 1.1 ive noticed that my video card temperatures have been running steadily at 81C whereas pre patch it was usually around 69-71. So something HAS in fact changed in 1.1 that is making the GPU work harder than before. Did they not add an Anti-Aliasing option to the graphic menu in 1.1? Or am i completely bonkers? And just FYI my ambient room temperature has been the same as always, im running no additional apps in the background while playing etc. But the rise in normal running temps from 70C to 80C while playing SWTOR is there nonetheless.

My GPU consistently run about 4 degrees C cooler after patch 1.1

The 1.1 client also reset all the settings, so unless you have your settings reset to exactly what they were before the patch, you cannot compare GPU temps.

I don't see how SWTOR could damage a video card, since the game does not interface directly with the video card. The driver interfaces with it, and the game cannot tell the card to do something outside of what the driver stipulates (the user can alter what the driver stipulates and do damage however).

The game can push the card to its limits, however, and this is normal behavior. In fact, it is considered optimal if your gpu is running at 99-100% utilization, as this will give you the best fps you can achieve on your computer.

It is possible the game was not pushing the cards very hard before (TOR is very cpu limited), and perhaps 1.1 introduced something that began to push the cards hard (AA anyone?) and therefore started getting the cards up high in utilization (which translates to heat). In this case, a card that is OC'd or has some other issue might fail. A card that has no issue will do just fine. This type of failure is not the games fault in any way.

1.1: Anti-Aliasing is auto-turned on for most computers, and it auto sets various cards to high settings that shouldn't be.

Set your settings down to appropriate levels. AA is a good thing, but it can generate more heat on your card.

To those overclocking your GPU, the best advice i can say is, don't do it unless you know what you're doing and you have a sufficient cooling system inside of your case, along with an adequate power supply. If you don't know, you probably shouldn't do it.

Yeah, that word doesn't mean what you think it means. Perhaps you should consult Google or a dictionary before you further embarrass yourself here.

The cards are meant to run and the drivers should have thresholds built in. Unless you are voiding the warranty in some way, it's the manufacturer's fault.

Unless new TOS state that you need to be constantly monitoring your card and your case temps need to be at X temp or lower.

/thread

The cards are meant to run and the drivers should have thresholds built in. Unless you are voiding the warranty in some way, it's the manufacturer's fault.

Unless new TOS state that you need to be constantly monitoring your card and your case temps need to be at X temp or lower.

/thread

OK, that's nice and all but how is it relevant to anything I've said? All I did was refute the (incorrect) assertion that third party software can't cause a graphics card to malfunction. I've never claimed that SWTOR is responsible for any hardware failures, though it wouldn't be the first game to cause such problems (the original FEAR game actually caused a slew of overheating problems with graphics cards due to disabling driver-level protections).

Edited by DannyInternets